Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 8:10pm

Style: SL5,MT, BJJ noob,Chow Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Holy ****.....

I took a submission wrestling class at my gym the other night.

Grappling is actually really fucking fun! Who knew!? Why didn't anyone tell me??

Did you guys know that WRESTLING is actually a cool art to learn?

I actually signed up for and took a few BJJ classes a few years ago, but due to travel and work didn't get to do anything other than get submitted over and over without learning much (my fault, not the gym's).

Here I took a class, and with some ringside instruction from the coach I actually had a good time.

Sore as **** now though, and my throat hurts from being choked.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to have the chance to share in my enthusiasm. I think it is the live coaching that really helped me. I didn't have to feel quite as helpless, so it was less like rape and more like grappling.

Is live coaching a normal part of the grappling experience (e.g. while you're rolling the dude tells you what you should be doing)?
    I feel ya! 2 months in getting mashed has been humbling and awesome fun. Pulled off my first Anaconda rolling this week and felt taller and more handsome. Almost instantly crushed seconds later. I love this thinking,heaving, clutching, wriggling, grinding, torso and limb chess-game. I haven't been this excited about training for almost a decade. Yeah our instructor starts making calls when the inexperienced (me) stalls in a position unable to move on. At first I was all tunnelled vision and listening but am getting better.

I suspect the more experienced guys, that's everyone, like me as BJJ fodder as I make very satisfactory vomit-wretch choked out noises.

I look forward to years of this ahead. Totally inspired.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 8:31pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexe View Post
    I feel ya! 2 months in getting mashed has been humbling and awesome fun. Pulled off my first Anaconda rolling this week and felt taller and more handsome. Almost instantly crushed seconds later. I love this thinking,heaving, clutching, wriggling, grinding, torso and limb chess-game. I haven't been this excited about training for almost a decade. Yeah our instructor starts making calls when the inexperienced (me) stalls in a position unable to move on. At first I was all tunnelled vision and listening but am getting better.

I suspect the more experienced guys, that's everyone, like me as BJJ fodder as I make very satisfactory vomit-wretch choked out noises.

I look forward to years of this ahead. Totally inspired.
    You captured pretty perfectly how I felt about it too. I don't feel too bad about my noob-ness either as it seems like I can at least hold onto guard for dear life and make them work for what they're trying to do if nothing else.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do I know grappling rocks? Yes, I've met a few grappling rocks:

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 10:02pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Holy ****.....

I took a submission wrestling class at my gym the other night.

Grappling is actually really fucking fun! Who knew!? Why didn't anyone tell me??

Did you guys know that WRESTLING is actually a cool art to learn?

I actually signed up for and took a few BJJ classes a few years ago, but due to travel and work didn't get to do anything other than get submitted over and over without learning much (my fault, not the gym's).

Here I took a class, and with some ringside instruction from the coach I actually had a good time.

Sore as **** now though, and my throat hurts from being choked.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to have the chance to share in my enthusiasm. I think it is the live coaching that really helped me. I didn't have to feel quite as helpless, so it was less like rape and more like grappling.

Is live coaching a normal part of the grappling experience (e.g. while you're rolling the dude tells you what you should be doing)?
    I'm not really sure a message board filled with skeptics and critics is the best place to start a thread based on the idea of, "The child-like wonderment of discovery" my friend.

But to answer your question in typical BS fashion, no. After training in two separate grappling based martial arts for a total of 17 years, I had no idea that grappling rocked.

Thank you for informing me.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 10:23pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I'm not really sure a message board filled with skeptics and critics is the best place to start a thread based on the idea of, "The child-like wonderment of discovery" my friend.

But to answer your question in typical BS fashion, no. After training in two separate grappling based martial arts for a total of 17 years, I had no idea that grappling rocked.

Thank you for informing me.
    My sense of humor leaves something to be desired, and I'm used to that. But Bullshido is part of what put me on the path to train hard again like when I was a teen, so I thought I'd post my stupid post anyway, to let everyone know :-)

I will try to post something with substance sometime in the near future to compensate.

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 10:33pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a lot of fun during my 6-month or so stint in grappling, but the hygiene thing sort of killed it for me. It doesn't matter how clean you are if you train with a bunch of guys who don't wash themselves and wear already-sweaty clothes to class. It doesn't help that the owner of the gym thought cleaning the mats twice a week was enough, even though they had multiple grappling classes a day. I got ringworm 4 or 5 times during those 6 months, it was freaking gross.

Maybe I'll give it another try sometime if I find a place that isn't a giant petri dish.

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 10:47pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    I had a lot of fun during my 6-month or so stint in grappling, but the hygiene thing sort of killed it for me. It doesn't matter how clean you are if you train with a bunch of guys who don't wash themselves and wear already-sweaty clothes to class. It doesn't help that the owner of the gym thought cleaning the mats twice a week was enough, even though they had multiple grappling classes a day. I got ringworm 4 or 5 times during those 6 months, it was freaking gross.

Maybe I'll give it another try sometime if I find a place that isn't a giant petri dish.
    Man, that sucks. I remember one dude who would wear his karate gi to judo and it was already sopping from sweat. But the karate class was the day before, so it was sopping with sweat FROM THE DAY BEFORE. I rolled with him once and never, ever wanted to again. I think I might've even told him he stank, but then again, I could be remembering **** differently. You know how it goes, you're in a situation and **** goes down and you're like, I totally coulda said this or that and then later you're telling a friend and you're like, **** it, my friend wasn't there, and so you say you said the thing that you thought later and you look like a bad arse to your friend and then you repeat the story so often or your friend repeats it to other friends telling the bad arsedery that is you for saying that **** and eventually it becomes truth.

I must say that the worse I get now is garlic breath, none of the BJJ classes I attend have someone who stinks, I think everyone realises the need for hygiene. If they don't then they are hella new and will be told eventually, or will figure it out. But yeah, garlic breath, fucking hell, ****'s like gas when you're under side mount.

But yeah, grappling indeed does rock. I fucking love it. It has managed to become my life, grappler 'til I die, motherfuckers!
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 4:40am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sub grappling is one of the most fun MAs I've done. All the man humping and getting up close and personal is also a great way of making friends. I've had to leave my grappling club - moving to a new area for work - and had my last class there last night. Sad times. As I was tapping for the last time to the guy who always catches me in his triangle it was a genuinely emotional moment.

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 5:41am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Sub grappling is one of the most fun MAs I've done. All the man humping and getting up close and personal is also a great way of making friends. I've had to leave my grappling club - moving to a new area for work - and had my last class there last night. Sad times. As I was tapping for the last time to the guy who always catches me in his triangle it was a genuinely emotional moment.
    Did you make eye contact?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:16am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too busy making neck contact with his inner thigh. Story of my life.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast