Sponsored Links Spacer Image

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Osoto Gari Instructional video from my coach

This is our first attempt at producing an instructional video for youtube, so the audio is a bit low, the auto-focus is a bit over-enthusiastic, and the editing could be cleaner, but the *instruction* is very good.

We hope to do better next time in terms of production value.

http://kokushibudo.com/
    Last edited by Ming Loyalist; 7/11/2012 12:18pm at . Reason: added link
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 9:01pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ooooh do I need that or what?

Thanks to you and your coach mate.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 9:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    feel free to suggest topics for new videos, of course i can't promise he will want to do everything, but you never know. my original idea was to do some basics and also some more advanced ones as well, try to offer something to different levels of students. then we got busy with other stuff. in case you didn't guess by now, i did the camera work and editing.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 10:23pm

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Harai Goshi mate! And some tips about pulling it off in randori too! From a tall guy's perspective, lol...

I know sweet fuckall about this but the editing is nice all the usual stumbling around and getting back up into position is cut out that's good.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 4:28pm

Style: Aikido / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good video

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:55pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say this is one of the better instructional videos I have seen on YouTube. Solid all around.
    I would be interested to see his views/take on sasae tsurikomi ashi.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 10:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    This is our first attempt at producing an instructional video for youtube, so the audio is a bit low, the auto-focus is a bit over-enthusiastic, and the editing could be cleaner, but the *instruction* is very good.

We hope to do better next time in terms of production value.

http://kokushibudo.com/
    It needs to be broken down more into smaller segments, with intermediate steps to drill.

Obviously, Mr Higashi knows how to do Osoto Gari well. As an overall guide, it is good.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 11:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's a wonderful video. I love how you point out what students do wrong- ESPECIALLY where you said they see-saw up and down as opposed to throwing a pitch with a turning-motion.

I think it's hilarious how everything you say not to do is what I do- but I guess that's why I'm not making the video lol.

Really good stuff. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do more. Honestly, the four throws I would LOVE to see you explain are Ouchi-gari (probably the most bedeviling one of them all- even though it's supposed to be "simple"), Tai otoshi, Harai, goshi, and Sasae. I know, that's a lot- but you guys asked so there we are- when you ask a kid at Christmas what he wants he'll tell you lol...

You know what else would really help my sucky-at-Judo ass? Some BASIC ground instructional, like how to escape from Kesa, for one. Sure, there are a lot of videos on the web about that- but they are mostly awful. I bet you guys would clear up a lot of misconceptions for the struggling Judoka. I am a tall and relatively thin guy, and when any decent Judo player locks up Kesa on me, it's futile. I can't do ANYTHING. I can't make space, can't bridge- basically, it's like trying to turn over a building. Anyway...

Seriously great work. Best compliment I can give you guys is that your video reminds me of PTNippon's work- and he is phenomenal.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 11:49pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twan55 View Post
    You know what else would really help my sucky-at-Judo ass? Some BASIC ground instructional, like how to escape from Kesa, for one. Sure, there are a lot of videos on the web about that- but they are mostly awful. I bet you guys would clear up a lot of misconceptions for the struggling Judoka. I am a tall and relatively thin guy, and when any decent Judo player locks up Kesa on me, it's futile. I can't do ANYTHING.
    Every time my judo instructor shows a kesagatame escape, he mentions that 80% of osaekomi in judo competitions lead to ippon. Not a reason not to practice or to try, but the fact is that once you’re pinned you’ll generally lose—that’s not just you.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 12:20am

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been trying to nail down this throw, and I'm a better visual than audio learner, so this video is very timely for me. Thanks to you and your sensei; I already saw a few things that will help me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast