Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:25am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like I need to do an "old man" (47) basic training. Light jogging, I have the equivalent to a Total Gym, and some good ole PT. The base I work at added some MMA workout materials like ropes, tires and the like along with free gym equipment. I'll definitely take a look at those videos suggested. Thanks for the great advise all!

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 12:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ultimately though the best way to get into shape for doing BJJ is simply to go and do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 12:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Ultimately though the best way to get into shape for doing BJJ is simply to go and do it.
    Roger that! I am way outta shape though and I remember when I tried to rely on my TKD class to stay in shape. No thank you. The class was more like an aerobics class than TKD. I hated being that tired.

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 7:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvis View Post
    Roger that! I am way outta shape though and I remember when I tried to rely on my TKD class to stay in shape. No thank you. The class was more like an aerobics class than TKD. I hated being that tired.
    One of the things I often see stressed often with newbies is to take it easy and go at their own pace and not to worry about keeping up with the rest of the class as we all know that even the fittest athletes are going to run into problems and face it most people are not all that fit. Just go in take it easy and feel free to step out when you have too. I would say take the warm up easy but just make sure you are fully warmed up. Also the thing about BJJ is its not really all that aerobic on the other hand it does get very Anaerobic. From what I see though most people gas out, out of anxiety and the act of trying to breath with someone sitting on them more so then as a fitness thing don't get me wrong fitness is involved but I don't think as much as most people think.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 7:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvis View Post
    Since I've been inactive for long while and I'm getting up there in age, any suggestions for helping me prepare for September when I start?
    Thanks.
    Here's a link to a handy list of threads and articles for BJJ beginners compiled by our very own slideyfoot: http://www.slideyfoot.com/2006/10/bjj-beginner-faq.html
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 7:47pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, slideyfoot's **** is awesome, helped me out heaps a few years ago when I started.

A couple of things I could sum up as the best advice I received:

1. Breathe.
    2. Tap early, tap often.
    3. Breathe.
    4. If you're straining your muscles, you're probably using bad technique, stop, tap and ask.
    5. Seriously, dude, breathe, you're going to gas if you keep doing that.

Fatigue makes cowards of us all and the quickest way to fatigue is holding your breath, Lamaze type breathing and chronic muscling through techniques.

Learn to be in shitty positions and learn to love them. Learn to respect the feeling of a hefty gentleman smothering you, crushing you with his weight, restricting your breathing by filling your mouth with hair, sweat and the juices of his previous training partner. That respect will eventually override the irrational fear of being submitted. Understand that there are women way smaller yet way more advanced than you that are going to make you feel like a hippo and a rhino are making love on a unicycle while balanced on your chest. Your ego will smart, your pride will think it has been slapped, your dignity will ask you why you thought it necessary to place it in such compromising positions. Find your inner panic switch and turn it permanently off on the mat. When you panic, you breathe shallow and quick, which gasses you, which in turn makes you panic more. THIS IS ESSENTIAL. The thing is you won't pick this up for a long time. I still forget to do it.

Most importantly: Do not be discouraged. Within 3 months you will be noticeably better. You will control new guys on the ground. You might hit a few submissions. You will delight yourself when you hit your first one, feeling yourself to have made real progress, possibly envisaging yourself on the World BJJ podium. Then you will be axed repeatedly and you will doubt whether you have progressed at all. Then you will start sweeping, reversing, defending and submitting, renewing your sense of progress. Six months in you'll think you're the man. Then you will be axed again. Rinse, Repeat.

IT'S FUCKING AWESOME!
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 1:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, lots of great input here. I'm sponging it all up, and I have to say that I'm really looking forward to this. It sucks I have to wait until September. The whole country of Italy goes on vacation in August.
    One of the instructors told me I could stop by to have a look and a free class, so I'm going to take him up on that.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12