Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 8:48am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Finally I found a BJJ School!

Ok, I finally found the BJJ school in Vicenza! It's Nova Uniao run by Fabricio Nascimento. So, if any of you are getting stationed here or are coming to the Vicenza area, let me know!
    Since I've been inactive for long while and I'm getting up there in age, any suggestions for helping me prepare for September when I start?
    Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 9:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cardio, a ton of it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 2:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by profroche View Post
    Cardio, a ton of it
    Thanks! I'll add flexibility to that too. Does that Tom Kurtz guide to stretching really work?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 2:09am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    take it easy, don't try to prove anything to anybody.

Just be open to learn and tap many times.
    (assuming you've never trained in bjj before?)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 3:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    take it easy, don't try to prove anything to anybody.

Just be open to learn and tap many times.
    (assuming you've never trained in bjj before?)
    Thanks, I won't. I've started the cardio thing already but at a slow pace. I do have a tendency to jump into things like I was 21 years old, but I'm determined to not get ahead of myself. I've never trained BJJ and I'm excited to start. I don't have anything to prove to anyone but myself, and I'll just do my best. Thanks for the advice!

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 3:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you doing for cardio?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 3:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvis View Post
    Thanks, I won't. I've started the cardio thing already but at a slow pace. I do have a tendency to jump into things like I was 21 years old, but I'm determined to not get ahead of myself. I've never trained BJJ and I'm excited to start. I don't have anything to prove to anyone but myself, and I'll just do my best. Thanks for the advice!
    Sounds like you've got the right attitude, already. The number one rule at all BJJ schools should be "check your ego at the door" because, and I'm only saying this because it can't be said enough: in BJJ, tapping means you're learning. Especially if you aren't afraid to ask questions about it, afterwards! If I'd had the courage to ask, instead of waiting for someone to confront me about it, I would've found out I'd been leaving my arms in all the wrong places (dangerous in Jiu Jitsu) and I could've started working on erasing that bad habit much sooner. Or never letting it form at all!

Before you start:
    Cardio, cardio, cardio.
    Flexibility, especially hip flexors.
    Jiu Jitsu University, by Paulo Ribeiro

Once you start:
    Ask your instructor questions.
    Keep a journal of what you learned. So much more will stick that way.
    CALM DOWN. Breathe! No sense destroying yourself during the first round of rolling. (Though if that cardio isn't up to par, this may be unavoidable at first. no worries.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 3:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvis View Post
    No worries bro, hope BJJ can be a part of your life, because you will soon see that it's not just a sport, it's a lifestyle.

But, please don't get me wrong, I also wouldn't suggest you to get SO hyped and doing some heavy cardio stuff as well.
    Not because it will be useless, but since you're not very familiar with BJJ atmosphere, it may have a wrong effect on you.
    If you were starting MT, I'd say, sure go ahead.

But BJJ is a sport where technique will be your best weapon. Therefore I believe, the ability to do the techniques, is more important than having the cardio of a beast.

What I would suggest you to do is to stretch a lot, do some exercises that will make your back, knees and grips more familiar to the sport (no need to go apeshit. Just get them used to some stress and get them stronger)

I would also suggest you to do "bjj solo drills" that you can easily find in youtube.
    Your goal is to be as familiar as you can with these moves and do them in a relaxed fashion.

By familiar, I mean, when you do 10 triangles simultaneously, or you hold something for 10-20 seconds, or you move on the ground a little bit you shouldn't be like "omg my back, omg my stomach, omg my wrists or legs or neck or whatever", it should feel natural.

So just take it easy, do some stretches, general strengthening moves - you don't even need heavy weights(or weights at all), just do something for back, knees, grip, maybe neck etc. -and do some solo drills (there are some really fun ones on youtube)

Aim for a "smooth start". Don't get ready like you have a competition soon.

I've seen really tough cardio guys, still get tired on their first BJJ class, because they tried to use their other sport knowledge in there and fail.
    Since they are "tough" they think holding a guy from under him for 2 minutes with whole strength is a good thing, while all they actually need to do is relaxing.

Good luck.

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 4:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't want to disagree with the people who have been doing BJJ longer and are better at then me, but I think focusing on cardio is kind of futile. Its a totally different whole body exercise then anything else you could take a marathon runner put them on the mat and they will be winded. Just a thought but I would start working on some simple tumbling and core exercises get those muscles strong and efficient. Start working on bridging and shrimping now these two motions will make up a lot of what you will be doing.
    You can also start doing this as well
    Last edited by goodlun; 7/12/2012 4:16am at . Reason: to add link

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 4:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I don't want to disagree with the people who have been doing BJJ longer and are better at then me, but I think focusing on cardio is kind of futile. Its a totally different whole body exercise then anything else you could take a marathon runner put them on the mat and they will be winded.
    Exactly my point
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast