Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 5:03pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same but exactly opposite problem.

I have real difficulty transitioning my very grip-based BJJ to MMA and NoGI.

My best solution to my problem so far:

Roll more. As I get more and more confident without the GI I not only gain more NoGI-specific techniques but also adapt my GI-based game to NoGI. There's always loads of things that transition well that you might not be able to use until you have that sparring moment when it all just clicks.

And if you're a butterfly guy doing sitting guard with control of one lapel is pretty damn hard to pass.

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 4:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a quick response and i hope it's a little bit helpful but i would suggest you develop a gameplan by playing around with different takedowns, guards, submissions, sweeps and get an idea of which is the most suitable to your bodytype, highest success rate, and generally what you are most comfortable with and then go from there.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 5:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slightly late to the party here, but a lot of you are addressing the wrong issue. I see a lot of people talking about how you don't want to shoehorn yourself into a particular style or mindset or something like that in your training. But that's not what was at issue.

At issue is competition gameplans. And in competition you should ALWAYS have a gameplan. Lloyd irvin is religious about his guys building gameplans for competition. Alliance competitors always have gameplans. I'm willing to say you would be hard pressed to find a top competitor that honestly goes with the, "Oh I just go out there and do whatever..." strategy and wins.

I build gameplans based off of this method:

Two Takedowns that combo together.
    Two guard passes that combo together.
    Two submissions from side control that feed into each other.
    Two from mount that feed into each other.

Now, I start out drilling those as a sequence. Takedown #1 -> Guard Pass #1 -> Submission #1, etc... Then I start mixing them up. Takedown #1 -> Failure -> Takedown #2 -> Guard Pass #2 -> Submission #3.

The idea is to move through that limited section of techniques over and over again until they flow together without having to actively think about them. Add some resistance and continue drilling them. Hundreds of reps combining that group of techniques in as many ways as you can to flow from one to the other.

When you get on the mats to compete you shouldn't be thinking anymore, your **** should just happen automatically the moment there is an opening.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123