Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 1:26am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Developing your "style" and "gameplan"

Not sure if this is advanced grappling material, but in order to answer this question I believe you have to be at least "blue belt" level.
    (Maybe even more, when you consider that they say you start to build your style on brown-black belt level)

Till recently, I haven't been a guy that has a "game". I was just a type of guy who learns a lot of stuff and just uses whatever he wants depending on the current situation.
    One important reason for this is that I like exploring in BJJ. Putting myself in positions that I'm not familiar with and learning something new everyday. No problem even if it means tapping more often than I should.

However, I also hadn't had the chance to join tournaments for a long time either. (Stupid rules about belts or nationality in where I'm living atm)

But just when I had an opportunity to join a tourney at last (1-2 months ago) my instructor (which is a new one after the old team has disbanded) asked me:
    "So what's your gameplan?"

I thought "what gameplan? Just go there and do what works"

But after discussing with him and some other friends, instructors etc. I can see many people have their own gameplans, based on their "style"

Tourney has passed, I kinda developed a gameplan for myself which worked OK in tournament, however I am still not very satisfied.

The reason is, I am not sure on what to be focusing on while developing and building my style while I'm getting closer to the brown or black belt level.

Because it seems, what works for me, what my physical build is prone to or what i like, are three different things for me.

A very tight guard and tight top control seems to work for me, while people suggest me to be more explosive and fast depending on my physique.
    What I LIKE doing more is though, is the whole technical, soft jiu jitsu.

This is what confuses me the most. Because I feel like I'm on a level where I need to develop something unique to me but cannot decide what to do it on.

You may suggest that the terms style, gameplan are not laws and you can always switch between them, but many black belts I heard suggests: "BB's all have their styles and something they are good at. For example I am known for my XYZ skills"

TL;DR I'd like to ask you guys:
    Till now, what has been the point that made you build your style on.
    Have you been focusing on your best gameplan only?
    (Depending on what works on tourneys or sparring sessions)

Have you been focusing on something depending on your physique?
    (This is almost the same as first one, but has less trial and error in it i gues. Like having long legs so playing a lot of dela riva etc.)

Or you have been only focusing on what you just like doing most?

Or one more possibility, you just don't really give a crap about all this style thing, do everything you can and leave it to time to show you what you excel at?

All opinions from all levels are appreciated, however I really would like to hear what purple and higher level people think.

Thanks

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 1:53am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not blue belt level yet, but this is something I have been contemplating for upcoming comps, so subscribing to read all y'all better grapplers and also to thank you for the thread, Necroyunus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 4:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to do the things that work for me, so I don't really feel that part of your conflict. My game, such as it is, is just an agglomeration of those things. The closest I've ever come to planning it is looking for more options for the positions where I often find myself, or tightening up particular things I often try but fail at.

When I "game plan" for competition I've really only got two options, or maybe one and a half.

I do think it's a terrible idea to plan out how you ought to fight based solely on some crudely assessed physical attribute. Saying "Oh, tall guy, probably watch for his triangle" is a rule-of-thumb for when you don't have any better information, it's got a hell of a lot more "trial and error" than actually knowing what works for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 4:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    I do think it's a terrible idea to plan out how you ought to fight based solely on some crudely assessed physical attribute. Saying "Oh, tall guy, probably watch for his triangle" is a rule-of-thumb for when you don't have any better information, it's got a hell of a lot more "trial and error" than actually knowing what works for you.
    I see, however I've experienced that sometimes, even if the guy doesn't feel it's his best ability, even if he doesn't like that move so much, just a game based on his body can create wonders.

The opposite also applies, for example, I know some moves that I really like and I am good with the "skills" that it requires. But I cannot do them while rolling as good as the little, skinny guys, because I get stuck where they can fit.

Or I know some guys, with fat short legs, who have good timing, they catch people on triangles well, but even though they do the techniques right the opponents often can escape from their triangles.

So sometimes, no matter how you like a technique or how you really understand and know how to apply a technique, you just don't do it as much because your body doesn't let you.
    (or the opposite, you dont like a technique, or you're not that skillful with it, but your physique just lets you use it better than others)

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 5:51am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But that will come out in sparring naturally, surely? You don't have to consciously work to focus your game on those areas. And by over-thinking it you might well miss stuff.

I train with at least one lanky, lean guy who has a mean butterfly guard, he'd have missed out a lot if he'd insisted on playing spider all the time just because he's a beanpole.

P.S. I find the opposite with triangles and stubby legs. They're a lot harder to catch but once someone with short legs has locked it in then it's almost impossible to escape or stick out, there's much less room in there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 6:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    I find the opposite with triangles and stubby legs. They're a lot harder to catch but once someone with short legs has locked it in then it's almost impossible to escape or stick out, there's much less room in there.
    I agree, one thing I like about jiu jitsu is that there aren't so many "universal" stuff in it.
    Once you take something away, you give something back.
    Just like you said, short legs maybe catch harder but when they do it is really tough.

But that's not really my point.

What I wanted to point out is, "sometimes" even if you have no great skill on the area or you don't like a particular technique, your physique can guide your development.
    Just like your preferences, or your skill in a specific area.

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 7:06am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    What I wanted to point out is, "sometimes" even if you have no great skill on the area or you don't like a particular technique, your physique can guide your development.
    Just like your preferences, or your skill in a specific area.
    I guess what I was suggesting is that discarding things that actually work for you in favour of things that "should" because of your shape doesn't strike me as very wise.

I think I'm going with your last option, overall:
    Or one more possibility, you just don't really give a crap about all this style thing, do everything you can and leave it to time to show you what you excel at?
    Just practise things you've already made high percentage on tough partners, and things you haven't already made super effective on the weaker ones. Don't you find that kind of happens naturally? You play around with people you can play around with, but when someone puts you under pressure the 'A' game comes back out?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 7:43am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't post in this thread unless you're at least a purple belt or equivalent skill level.

Actually, it's about having developed your own style for a few years more than rank. Keep this in mind when posting please.

I will post later after I've had a little time to think about my answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 11:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to contribute to the discussion(or to make it even more confusing :P ), I want to add,

I have heard black belts, and even successful ones saying stuff like "i just do everything i can do from any position, i don't have a particular style" or similar to this.
    If I'm not mistaken, I even remember Jacare saying something similar to this (it may be galvao too though)

What I mean is, it sounds possible that, even after a certain level, you may not have a "focused" area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 1:40pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate the point of having a "style" or "gameplan" going into a competition. I can also appreciate the idea of just using what works in the moment and not try to force something to work that isn't working.

Early on in my BJJ training I grew attached to the armbar. After about 3-4 years of BJJ I've learned to get the armbar/straight armlock from a whole bunch of different positions. I've also picked up other submissions/sweeps/transitions that combo well with the armbar. Sometimes I will use movements to set up the armbar, other times I will use the armbar to set up other techniques.

So I guess my "gameplan" or "style" is to put myself in position to execute my combinations and finish the fight. It doesn't matter if I pull guard, get the takedown or get taken down, play top, play bottom, or whatever.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast