Page 4 of 11 First 12345678 ... Last

Style
    Northern Praying Mantis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post

If they seriously come around your house looking for trouble and you don't think you can take them, in addition to the telephone there is another invention called "gun". Try to remember what century you live in. Christ. Even a decent canister of bear mace will put a damper on their "martial prowess". What is this "gang fight" ****? No matter what Sifu thinks, he is not living in a Bruce Lee film. Neither are you. Get real on their asses.
    Getting registered for mace seems like a good idea, I would have to go apply for a firearms card in this state. Although "supposedly," several of them know how to disarm knives/guns, I imagine knocking mace out of my hands wouldn't be too difficult.

Anyway, my current realistic options are to talk to a cop friend of mine, haven't seen him in a few years but I'm sure I could contact him. Ask him for advice what to do, what kind of evidence I might need to make a valid claim. I imagine he would believe me more over going to some random cop.

I need to decide, should I put the police investigation idea on the backburner until I convince my boyfriend to leave? My plan is to print out this entire post, as well as the cult links/articles on this site and other sites, and highlight important points. Maybe print out information on McDojos too, so he can realize that the bait and switch/sucker long term contracts/made up curriculum/ 7 yo black belt first degrees etc. there is all pretty skeazy in addition.

Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kynw261 View Post
    Getting registered for mace seems like a good idea, I would have to go apply for a firearms card in this state. Although "supposedly," several of them know how to disarm knives/guns, I imagine knocking mace out of my hands wouldn't be too difficult.

Anyway, my current realistic options are to talk to a cop friend of mine, haven't seen him in a few years but I'm sure I could contact him. Ask him for advice what to do, what kind of evidence I might need to make a valid claim. I imagine he would believe me more over going to some random cop.

I need to decide, should I put the police investigation idea on the backburner until I convince my boyfriend to leave? My plan is to print out this entire post, as well as the cult links/articles on this site and other sites, and highlight important points. Maybe print out information on McDojos too, so he can realize that the bait and switch/sucker long term contracts/made up curriculum/ 7 yo black belt first degrees etc. there is all pretty skeazy in addition.
    These are good ideas.

As for their macho "I can take you weapon stuff". That's psyche out B.S. from people who spend too much time roll playing as tough guys.

I won't get too deep into it because these themes have been covered ad nauseum on this site, (you can find many threads on these) but the short answer is those disarms are faaaaar easier said than done IRL. What do you think has a higher sucess rate? Unamrmed against gunman, or gunman against unarmed? Think about this, When we go to war do we send our boys with rifles or nunchucks? Yup...

Style
    Northern Praying Mantis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    These are good ideas.

As for their macho "I can take you weapon stuff". That's psyche out B.S. from people who spend too much time roll playing as tough guys.

I won't get too deep into it because these themes have been covered ad nauseum on this site, (you can find many threads on these) but the short answer is those disarms are faaaaar easier said than done IRL. What do you think has a higher sucess rate? Unamrmed against gunman, or gunman against unarmed? Think about this, When we go to war do we send our boys with rifles or nunchucks? Yup...
    Especially considering you sure don't need to be within striking distance to use one...I'll check those threads out, sound like a good read.

I just spoke to a close friend about my options, and she says while she doesn't know too much about cults, she does know people who have been in abusive relationships/addictions and if cut off cold turkey, they can become suicidal. So I'm thinking the strategy of bringing my boyfriend to my new school is the best way to go right now (I know many of you suggested this), even if he doesn't like my new school, the Boston area seems to have plenty of martial arts schools. One of you suggested one specifically and there's a whole thread about the Boston area right here on the newbie board. Here's hoping I can convince him to come.

Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'm thinking the strategy of bringing my boyfriend to my new school is the best way to go right now (I know many of you suggested this), even if he doesn't like my new school, the Boston area seems to have plenty of martial arts schools.
    That should be healthy. I don't know what the culture is like at your new school, but MA comeraderie being what it is some new friends and training partners could be a very valuable source of moral and emotional support for your man. You may even find you have genuine back up if people come around and try some funny business over training somewhere else.

Good luck!

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Especially considering you sure don't need to be within striking distance to use one...I'll check those threads out, sound like a good read.

I just spoke to a close friend about my options, and she says while she doesn't know too much about cults, she does know people who have been in abusive relationships/addictions and if cut off cold turkey, they can become suicidal. So I'm thinking the strategy of bringing my boyfriend to my new school is the best way to go right now (I know many of you suggested this), even if he doesn't like my new school, the Boston area seems to have plenty of martial arts schools. One of you suggested one specifically and there's a whole thread about the Boston area right here on the newbie board. Here's hoping I can convince him to come.
    That's why, unless your friend is a therapist, counselor etc, you go get professional help. Yes, helping him is key, but not to your own detriment. If he says no, then it is time to move on. To put it bluntly, suicide is a choice; murder is not.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would talk to your police officer friend. He would be a resource in deciding what information you would need to have gathered before making a criminal complaint. I would also suggest your first priority should be to help get your boyfriend out of this situation.

Sam

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the Boston area seems to have plenty of martial arts schools. One of you suggested one specifically and there's a whole thread about the Boston area right here on the newbie board. Here's hoping I can convince him to come.
    Yeah, we're pretty lucky around here.
    If you're looking for a more traditional kung fu/ wu shu type school, there's the Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi Institute which I can personally vouch for, it's on the corner of Newbury St/Mass Ave

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work in Worcester. Where is the school? I might want to take some Kung fu lessons...
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll enable her email so she can tell you via pm.

Style
    Northern Praying Mantis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by profroche View Post
    Yeah, we're pretty lucky around here.
    If you're looking for a more traditional kung fu/ wu shu type school, there's the Boston Kung Fu Tai Chi Institute which I can personally vouch for, it's on the corner of Newbury St/Mass Ave
    Yeah that's my new school! :happy:

Page 4 of 11 First 12345678 ... Last