Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 4:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by agge195 View Post
    I'm getting sick of this site. Only a bunch of people trying to prove themselves in different ways. Insecure teenagers telling other styles suck. And also alot of immature namecalling and wtf is wrong with this place anyway.. im tired of responding to everything so I gone now! bye bye
    Nice irony, coming from a whining teen.

I'm 42 btw, fuckface.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 7:34pm

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Nice irony, coming from a whining teen.

I'm 42 btw, fuckface.
    I've found that on the internet, accusations that someone is a kid or a teen most often come from teenagers or young twenty-somethings (such as myself).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2012 7:22am

Style: SD, JJ, Kettlebells

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, confession time. I used to do Systema a lot and I bought into it in a big way. I certainly preferred it to the ‘citrus’ belt judo and karate I did in my teens as it seemed to answer some questions I hadn’t been able to answer before. There was talk from some sections about how MMA was a great sport but didn’t really teach you self protection. It’s a flawed line of thinking which is a sickness in the ‘RBSD’ world of camo pants and ‘tactical bling’ in general.

There was an incident from a few years back here in the UK where two martial artists defended themselves from abusive drunks. I believe the detail was one of the guys laid out a pair of drunks with one punch each.
    The martial artists were MMA guys, they were in drag and were tottering around in high heels. So if a martial art works for a bloke in a dress, I think that pretty much brings the whole ‘street effective’ argument to a close. Article follows:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/748957-c...t-up-attackers

FWIW, most of the Systema guys I know who are worth a damn had a background in a competitive combat system or have since cross-trained in one to get some ‘alive’ training in. I think most of the non-Russia based instructors who are well regarded have a good amount of time in hard combat sports. Most of which led me to the conclusion that Systema can be the icing on the cake but if you are starting out there are probably better options. Your mileage may differ.

I agree entirely with the earlier poster who said if a knife was thrown in the Octagon the first guy to pick it up would win. IMHO knife counters are one of the biggest areas of BS and irresponsible teaching in all of martial arts.
    Last edited by Traceur; 7/17/2012 7:22am at . Reason: breaking up text

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2012 1:08pm

Style: yellow bamboo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was successfully able to employ all my Aikido techniques in a systema class when I was a white belt. How lame is that?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2012 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained in Systema regularly for two years and would still be training locally if not for the fact that the classes now directly clash with my own Bartitsu classes.

IMO the System is a fantastic "post-graduate" course or approach to training for people who already have extensive cross-training experience in more orthodox styles. I'm also of the considered opinion that it was originally intended to be exactly that; a "think and move outside the box" system for good fighters. The real history (as opposed to the "ancient secret Cossack knights" pseudo-history) is fascinating and very illuminating.

During my two years of regular training I saw several people who came in off the street as complete MA newbies develop significant skills, although I don't generally recommend Systema for those who want a direct, simple and relatively quick path. The benefit in the more circuitous route is that, because Systema training is based almost entirely on challenging students to improvise their way out of very difficult situations, they genuinely do tend to be hard to surprise, which is a big plus in self defense terms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 3:34pm

Style: SYSTEMA AND JUJITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive been doing systema on and off for about 8 yrs. The problem is when people pick one art and discard all other training. Not trained for a while due to work etc. But when i was training systema regularly I was also doing wrestling,boxing etc aswel .

Systema has some useful bits so does mma.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 3:41pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana View Post
    Systema has some useful bits so does mma.
    Isn't the point of MMA that it's entirely composed of useful bits?

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 8:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people are better off studying combat sports, getting in shape and having a realistic idea of their ability to defeat a single opponent than taking a theory based, fringe martial art and having an unrealistic assumption that they can defeat multiple opponents. The original post was a worthless rehash of tired "sport vs street" arguments. I have almost 30 years of military and civilian LE experience. I see the boxers, wrestlers and other sport players come out on top repeatedly. I'd expect a rugby player to walk through the average aikido, systema, chun or whatever. People keep looking for short cuts to badassery. they don't exist. Get on the mats, in the ring and stop with the magical thinking.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 10:15pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Systema master got stabbed to death.
    Apparently his **** don't work against a knife either. Guess that's the end of that.

Posted On:
    12/05/2012 10:17pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Systema, the best way to die fighting.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast