Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boulder CO, school for 12 year old

I just spent 18 days in Tin Cup CO in cabins putting on Mountain Friends Camp, a Quaker youth camp (feel free to donate! http://mountainfriendscamp.org/about/location/). Several of the kids do ma, and of course ALL of them are into bullshido (aikido, no-touch karate, TKD etc). Being mostly pretty smart they are somewhat aware of dead training, but so be it. I only said stuff like that karate will teach you good forms (and ONLY forms?? For THREE years?? Jesus fucking christ!) or whatever; gently push into real as much as I could - did some Kaju KK and BJJ SD stuff with some of them. They liked chicken wing apps but didn't dig double legs.

But the real reason I'm posting isn't to bullshit about 11 to 15 camp kids and their lack of live training. It's to find a school for one rather active 12 year old boy from Boulder. Overprotective mom, dad hardly on the scene at all, and fucking kid in a group meeting sez in front of everyone thanks to pat and how you're like my dad... sniff. Asshole got to me (the director knowing me and him asked me to be his "secret friend" and I told her later that I'm him 50 years later, still the loud mouth annoying immature hyper active in-your-face yet honest and loyal, opinionated show off that somehow earns from many, trust and love, thank god).

I've been doing some searching Bullshido for Boulder schools (no driving to Longmont, etc):
    Quote Originally Posted by u1ysses View Post
    I know http://www.eastonbjj.com/ is a legit, solid place to train from second-hand sources, and it has four locations. They have a free intro.

http://www.boulderjudo.org/ has a free month of training plus a single private lesson, which is a pretty awesome deal, imo.
    Both the BJJ and Boulder Judo Training Center sound good. Money IS an issue. Mom is single, sole income, and works as a teacher...

So I'm tending toward the BJJ or Judo - I like the lack of kicking and punching; kids do that already, it's nice to have a non-violent ma, specially for children. But I'd like it if anyone is actually training in these or other schools and has experience with their kiddie classes. The Logan Utah Westside BJJ is the best in Utah and as good as the best Hawaian Kempo kid's classes I've seen on O'ahu, so I tend to think it would probably be great. But I'd sure like some verification.

But the rare good karate or kempo or whatever dojo, if they happen to be a decent school would be fine. Maybe The Way of the Crane has a great teacher, I have no idea. It might be that Boulder Quest Martial Art / 21st Century Ninja Training / Learn the best self defense, does actually teach the best sd. And pigs can fly.

After all, the dojo, Pahoa Kenpo Karate I joined in Hawaii looks a little at first like bs, but it's really fun. For instance they are now doing a six week grappling summer program, taught by a wresting coach. And the Prof's attitude is wonderful, "I'm teaching you kids tag, if I teach you to fight you'd tear each other's heads off!" He's cert'd all over FMA and Hawaiian/Ha'ole Ke?po and an early kickboxer, so I'd steer kids there without hesitation.

He's the kind of battered old tough grandpa black belt with tons of rep and integrity that loves mas and loves children. That said, I'm really paranoid of teachers with ego problems, sex issues, or delusional teachers of buddhism -the Japanese I've trained under who were into it hardly spent any time, while some half baked pin headed Mormon bb would go on for a half hour bullshitting on and on about buddhism, what a crock of manure. Obviously cults and crapola are out and I'm assuming the w/c and such are both.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...O&ei=KYX8T__hI
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 11:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ttt

I'm trying to get a response.... :(
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 12:47am

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't recommend a specific school, but based on the parents, I'd focus on judo. BJJ has a bit of a negative stereotype associated with it, whereas judo is generally viewed as old-school Japanese wrestling i.e. non-threatening.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My buddy is an instructor here: http://relsongracieacademy.com/

I'd highly recommend him: http://relsongracieacademy.com/jason...deral-heights/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 1:37pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with the Beak. If I were in the breadbasket of Enshin, where it's actually available, I'd be all over that ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 4:23pm

Style: Kyokushin, Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I'd love to find a good Enshin school if it were close...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 4:56pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://eastonbjj.com/

I don't have any personal experience with the schools but I hear good things.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 8:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I didn't know that Enshin was a choice. Hmm, get him cross training Enshin/Judo and in a few years BJJ... At least that would have been my choice if I could do it all over again!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 10:51pm

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick guys lets turn this into a Ashihara/Enshin nutride thread.

I'll go first:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtJWrcm6G1g

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGi7kWbjyXs

Hurry, before those filthy no good grapplers claim another soul.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast