Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 2:08pm

Style: Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Push Kick or Front Kick ?

My question is the following. A push kick generates power and can push away an opponent but it's easy to catch I caught one myself and did an inside low kick to drop down one of my opponents .In the other side a strong front kick can't push the opponent in the distance that the push kick does but deals more damage is faster and harder to catch .
    So what's your opinion ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 2:24pm

Style: Kyokushin

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agemoif View Post
    My question is the following. A push kick generates power and can push away an opponent but it's easy to catch I caught one myself and did an inside low kick to drop down one of my opponents .In the other side a strong front kick can't push the opponent in the distance that the push kick does but deals more damage is faster and harder to catch .
    So what's your opinion ?
    My opinion on what?

I don't know that a front kick deals more damage than a push kick necessarily.

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 2:45pm

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My opinion is that they're two different kicks with different purposes.

Which do you prefer: doors or windows?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 3:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agemoif View Post
    So what's your opinion ?
    A "push kick" or a teep does actually quite a bit of damage when connected well. It's hard to counter something when it's keeping you stumbling backwards on your heels, and you can take some pretty gnarly internal damage from a teep. I've seen guys dropped with a teep to the liver.

A "front kick", I can only assume is a karate/tkd style front kick with an upwards trajectory and mainly using the quadriceps as the driving force. Is a move that has significantly less power behind it from a physics perspective because you are using less mass behind the throwing of it. This kick requires brilliant timing and accuracy to pull off, and I've only seen it be truly effective in 2 cases (Anderson Silva/Vitor Belfort & Lyoto Machida/Randy Couture). The "snap" effect to it can make it harder to catch, but it also makes it really kind of a pointless kick that most fighters will likely shrug off unless it lands flush and perfect on the chin.

Throwing a "front kick" with power changes the direction of force to more like that of a teep. The Teep is a basic strike for a reason. It's highly effective when employed correctly (don't ask me how to do that, there are people on this forum far more qualified to answer that)

Countering either of the two just requires lateral movement. Catching a well thrown teep is fucking difficult. Getting out of the way can be more simple, but that's a matter of timing and a bunch of other crap that I don't want to **** up the thread with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 4:02pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm learning that if it's easy for someone to catch your push-kick, you need to drill it more against people trying to catch it. Once you get good you can just lean back and fire one off pretty quick.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting a leg grabbed sucks, but it seems to me that a front kick to the solar plexus is at least as likely to get caught as a push kick to the low abdomen. The ball-of-the-foot to the solar plexus front kick is also more likely to get the top of the foot, toes, or ankle smashed on an elbow, because of its more upward trajectory, target, and foot position.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 6:15am

Style: MMA, MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try pulling your leg leg straight back, or even up and away after connecting with a push kick. Much harder to catch (a lot of guys drop the foot straight down into an outstretched hand)...

I'm assuming the OP is talking about The Deadly Nad Kick when he talks about a front kick being effective- I would disagree about this being especially effective- most men are pretty good at instinctively protecting their nuts from this kick.

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 7:20am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    silly question to add. But if your leg is caught. How it this different to defending a single leg takedown?

Like this wierd one shown here.

Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 7:47am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    I'm learning that if it's easy for someone to catch your push-kick, you need to drill it more against people trying to catch it. Once you get good you can just lean back and fire one off pretty quick.
    This is realistic, and a good way to approach training in general.