hst151975
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How To Tell If Muay Thai Gym Is Legit

Hello,

I want to start Muay Thai training but there are several gyms in my area so I'm not sure how to pick one.

One of the gyms says they are the "only school certified by United World Muay Thai Association"

Does that mean anything?

I want to get the best training possible. Is there some way to find out which gym would provide that training?

Thanks!

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about that organization, but two good ways to find out are 1) find the coaches names and see if they have ammy or pro fight records or 2) check out a few classes and see how often they are sparring and doing drills with resisting opponents.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Their fighters win muay thai fights.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

eloneamigo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hst151975 View Post
    Hello,

I want to start Muay Thai training but there are several gyms in my area so I'm not sure how to pick one.

One of the gyms says they are the "only school certified by United World Muay Thai Association"

Does that mean anything?

I want to get the best training possible. Is there some way to find out which gym would provide that training?

Thanks!
    See which place has coaches with actual ring experience, see which one offers free classes and try them out, you should be pretty gassed by the end of class, use your gut instinct, if it feels wrong try somewhere else.
    Last edited by eloneamigo; 7/10/2012 5:29am at .

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, the certification doesn't really mean anything. Things you should be looking for-

-If they have a fight team. No fighters is a big red flag.

-The coach should have fight experience. If they've spent a decent amount of time at a good camp in Thailand, even better.

-A lot of time spent working on thai pads.

-Drilling techniques with resisting partners. Knowing the moves isn't good enough if you can't make them work on someone who doesn't want you to.

-Sparring regularly with moderate-to-hard contact, depending on the purpose of the sparring session. Most places won't let you spar until you've demonstrated enough competence for them to be sure you won't hurt yourself or your partners. If they just toss you in right away, that's also a red flag.

-Learning how to clinch. If you're not clinching, you're not doing muay thai. It doesn't mean what you're doing is bad, or that the place isn't putting out good fighters, but if they're not clinching, it's boxing with leg kicks, not muay thai.

What area are you in, and what gyms are you looking at?

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best way is to go to each one, see the people training there and the coaches, if the people training for over a year are fit, strong and seems good at MT than you will become one of them soon enough. The trainer's resume is less important IMO than the quantitiy and quality of your sparring partners.

Chinaarts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not know how to tell, maybe you can see it on how their competition fighters have done as a reference

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That can be a very good reference, sometimes though a small gym can have great coaches and people to learn MT with but no good or willing fighters at the time. Look at the history of the coach if he ever made it far with at least one of his fighters.

hst151975
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What area are you in, and what gyms are you looking at?
    I'm in the Dayton, Ohio area. There is
    tamamartialarts.com/
    daytonmma.com/
    browninstitute.com/
    ohiomma.com/ (which is probably the best but kinda far from where I live).

I think some of these may be what you might call McDojos. I believe Dayton MMA Academy and Ohio MMA would be my best choices because it looks like they train actual fighters. Not entirely sure though.

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Best way is to go to each one, see the people training there and the coaches, if the people training for over a year are fit, strong and seems good at MT than you will become one of them soon enough. The trainer's resume is less important IMO than the quantitiy and quality of your sparring partners.
    False. The coach's resume is extremely important. Don't get me wrong, you definitely want fit sparring partners too, but those can be found at a cardio kickboxing class too.

Look for a gym with a fight team and a coach with a record of either winning fights or coaching winning fighters. If a gym is producing competition-level fighters, it is going to have a solid training regimen.

Plus how is OP supposed to know what "good...MT" looks like if he has no experience?