Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. mshest

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for all the help. i'm gonna try drinking more water and bring a sports drink vs water for in-class sipping. I guess I won't know what happens until we get another 90+ degree scorcher around here, but that will def happen in the next month so i'll report back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 2:24am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To cool yourself down in a pinch, just take off the handwraps, your shirt, shoes, socks and then pour water over your head.

Never hesitate to do the above. Better to take a small hit to your exercise rounds than faint from heat exhaustion.

Stopping for a few seconds may have a negative effect on the overall gains but heat exhaustion is far worse.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 3:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I might get a second opinion on the asthma thing, some GPs will miss exercise-induced attacks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 10:40am

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On your cardio, do you have the problem with running, cycling or rowing (machine not boat)?

Can you give a better description of your diet? Any alcohol or other medications?
  5. mshest

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 1:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't really compare running or cycling to BJJ/MT because with no one around to push me hard I don't exert as much energy.

So with the last two days being in high 90s I got to test out the drink more water idea. Both Monday and Tuesday I drank about 2 gallons total. 1 before class, and one during and after. The second gallon was mixed with gatoraid. I think it helped to the point where I made it through the class, but I wasn't feeling very strong either. Its definitely something I want to keep doing but it seems like I need to either skip or sit out some during the days when it gets over 90.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post

My advice is make sure you add a little salt or gatorade or even fruit juice to your water supply.
    Why?

I'm not doubting you, just asking out of curiousity. I think you are right, im just curious about the details of how this would help.

Doesn't Ginseng help oxigenate the blood? I don't take the stuff, but its a pretty safe supplement that might help. Make sure you are eating lots of good carbs before training. Have an orange and a banana two hours before training.

And tons of water. If you sweat more than everyone else, you need to drink more than everyone else. Load up on water before class.

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 2:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Why?

I'm not doubting you, just asking out of curiousity. I think you are right, im just curious about the details of how this would help.
    He is suggesting that OP consume more electrolytes to fend off dehydration.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/18/2012 3:34pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Why?
    When you sweat you lose more than water, you're literally bleeding the electrolytic (i.e. conductive) minerals out of your pores that your body needs to operate efficiently. If you drink demineralized or distilled water (which would cover most water supplies that have been heavily filtered) it won't replace those chemical compounds.

Heat exhaustion is exacerbated by (amongst other things) the body's electrolytic efficiency, which is why one of the first signs of it is excess fatigue, as the body is less and less capable of regulating its temperature.

The compounds that make Gatorade electrolytic are sodium, potassium, and chloride. You could get the same thing from food, but since the digestive system processes food slower than liquids, drinks are better for avoiding heat exhaustion, which can set in within just minutes.

http://www.medicinenet.com/electrolytes/article.htm
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/18/2012 3:43pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 12:44am

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mshest View Post
    I can't really compare running or cycling to BJJ/MT because with no one around to push me hard I don't exert as much energy. .
    Are you are saying that outside of class time you do no cardio work? The heat may not be the issue. Do you think that a correlation may exist between the lack of focused aerobic/cardio exercise in your environment and the exercise induced fatigue?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12