Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 7:43am

Style: American Kenpo, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Decided to crosstrain in MT

I've been training in American Kenpo for neigh on two years, got my orange belt and I've been making steady progress technique wise. The ambiance at the club is amazing and familiar. Still ...

A lot of the sparring is focused on training semi-contact for big tournaments ( ICKKF, IKC, the like). And while this is a lot of fun I've been yearning to get some full contact experience. First experiences have not been good. I feel as if semi-contact sparring has given me some bad reflexes. I open up too much, my guard sucks and my striking is way sub-parr.

I recently discovered a club not too far from where I live. They are very active in the local competitions, so I have faith that I can learn what I need there. And it's just 5 euros for a two hour lesson.
    Website (in dutch, sorry): http://www.thaikogym.be/

So, I'll be 31 in a month and a half. I hope I can still get limber enough for a decent kicking game. Still, very much looking forward to get initiated in MT and decent full contact.

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 9:38am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck, dutch kick boxing will give you all the contact you want and than some. But if you can stick to it, you will be good in striking.
    You want to invest in good head gear, elbow padding and shin guards. A good mouth guard and off course a comfi ball sack protector. They are all going to be tested on a regular basis, so buy something good.
    I wouldn't worry too much about flexibility, don't try to kick the head for a while, focus on conditioning first, your hands, knees, legs and ribs are going to be black and blue for a while..
    Good luck, and tell us how it goes..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 9:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I've got my protective gear sorted, really. No worries. And I don't worry too much about conditioning, I've been doing that on my own in the local park for a while now, striking and kicking wooden posts, trees and whatnot after my jogging run. Bloody knuckles and shins are part of the game :)
    I'll report as soon as I get my first training, hopefully next sunday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 12:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, had my first MT training yesterday. Amazing, sore all over, and a busted toe again.
    The club is located in the annex of the Kortenberg Community sporting hall. There's plenty of space and around 25 guys and girls training there. This training focussed heavily on conditioning and endurance. A little 20 min footing to start, then 30 min of circuit training followed by 50 min of intense combo training and 15 min of abs exercises.
    My shirt was soaking wet by the end of it, and there were puddles of sweat where ever I was doing pushups.
    Senior members are very helpful, and don't mind giving you pointers or what not. My own assessment: I suck. I've got a decent right cross, but all other technicity seems to elude me. I'll have to work hard to get better. My kicks need a lot of work.