Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 4:04pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    I often use my brushed cotton Tozando karate dogi for aikido class, which is no problem, and occasionally for judo and jujitsu. I like it in the summer because it is much lighter than my heavy ass single and double weaves. I went through a stage where I bought way too heavy judo uwagi and now I regret it. I can't wait for them to wear out so I can get a lighter single weave, but the damn things don't wear out! There are some lightweight single weaves, like Seersuckers, but I don't know how durable they are as I've owned the same judo style uwagi tops for years. Actually, my favorite judo to is a cheaper basic Century...its my least expensive one, but its nice and light and the collar doesn't choke me out just by standing there.

Back to wearing a karate dogi in judo, I recently did this and thought I heard a seem tear while working with my partner. Turned out is was just his fingernails scraping on the brushed cotton of my top but it still made me really nervous and scared I was going to get a seem tear. Once those tears start they just get worse. Ever since then, the one or two times I've worn my karate uniform to judo I've been really self-concious about it and its effected my training to the point where I do, or don't do, thing I normally would out of fear of getting a tear.

Also, the ties hanging off a karate uniform bother me a little when rolling or doing judo tachiwaza.
    I don't tie them anymore really but I think I will try and find a single weave and just save my nice 12 oz for karate lol, but thanks for the advise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 4:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    A karate gi will be torn off your back regardless of weight, dont waste your money.
    good to know, any good sites to pick up a cheap gi?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 4:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    There's a karate guy at my local club who trained for several months with his karate gi, before he bought a Judo one. His gi wasn't like any other karate gi I've seen though it was made out of a very tough, almost canvas, type material and could take quite the battering.

So if you have something like that it might survive. If not then, well don't complain if your gi ends up getting ripped.
    yeah, the 12 oz is brushed cotton canvas, it is pretty tough but I don't know if it could handle to much gripping.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    https://www.hatashitasports.com/prod...yID=34&source=

single weave fuji = cheap

hatashita sports are great people, buy from them.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 5:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    https://www.hatashitasports.com/prod...yID=34&source=

single weave fuji = cheap

hatashita sports are great people, buy from them.
    cool thanks, will check them out hell as far as I concerned can't have enough gi lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 9:20pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone use double weaves and like them? Most of my judo go styles are double weaves, and I do not like. I have a Mike Swain that literally puts pressure on my brachial plexus origin just when I'm standing still and its folded semi-tightly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 9:22pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tameshiwhaty? View Post
    I don't tie them anymore really but I think I will try and find a single weave and just save my nice 12 oz for karate lol, but thanks for the advise.
    Not a bad idea. I have four or five gi and I go through them in a week.

Yeah, I don't know too many people who tie their gi together.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 9:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a bad idea. I have four or five gi and I go through them in a week.

Yeah, I don't know too many people who tie their gi together.
    I used to but I just gave up one day and really if it comes open oh we lol, that's why we have hands.

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 9:53pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone use double weaves and like them? Most of my judo go styles are double weaves, and I do not like. I have a Mike Swain that literally puts pressure on my brachial plexus origin just when I'm standing still and its folded semi-tightly.
    My latest gi is a double-weave. Having used heavy brushed singles for three years haven't noticed too much difference, apart from the extra weight/sweat factor. Due to my rotund stature I tend to have to go for a larger size than my height would suggest though.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 9:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    My latest gi is a double-weave. Having used heavy brushed singles for three years haven't noticed too much difference, apart from the extra weight/sweat factor. Due to my rotund stature I tend to have to go for a larger size than my height would suggest though.
    How ould you compare the single to double size wise I wear a sz 8 karate gi just for a idea.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast