Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2012 2:19pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Serious Question for Contact Sport Coaches

I am seriously considering returning to my old workplace: riekes.org
    Among other things it is a high level athletic training center. I left before on very good terms and feel comfortable that I will be welcomed back. Although I have a basic common sense knowledge of physical training, nutrition, and workout structure, I could take the opportunity working at this place to really focus on bringing my knowledge to the next level. In short I can get training from my professional coworkers on an incredibly wide range of technical athletic knowledge.

Omega, SamboSteve, Serge and other high level trainers and coaches: If I wanted to gain the knowledge that a MMA coach needs on all aspects of physical training, what specific skills would I request to be trained at in my workplace?

Specifically, I can only think of gaining proficiency in coaching olympic lifts, nutrition for muscle recovery, and how to structure workouts where you also learn specific skills. What am I missing?

As far as my personal qualifications up to this point, I am still a far way away from coaching. I am a low blue belt and only have an 6-1 striking record, but if I keep training perhaps in 5 years I will be very happy to have taken advantage of this opportunity.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations. Also, please forgive me if I am slow in answering to replies. I am without internet most of the time for the next month.

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 7:04pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Add to your list:

1) basic evaluation of injuries and how to rehab them (if offered)

2) anaerobic/interval workouts that simulate the cardiovascular demands of MMA (it's not pure cardio ala running)

3) stretches

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 9:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bump. Good question.

Olympic lifting is my vote. But you probably knew that, and I'm not an MMA coach.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 1:27pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks!

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 10:38pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one place ever really holds all the answers, but read and watch everything you can get your hands on by Mike Boyle. Newer is better since he's one of the few people on this strange world of ours who changes their opinion in light of new information.

For more on MMA specifically check out Dewey Neilsen and Joel Jamieson. The latter of the two has some incredibly interesting ideas on energy systems (cardio-ish) stuff.

When one of those people mentions someone else, it's generally worth looking them up and seeing what you can learn from those people as well.

Personal favorites of mine beyond there if i just want to say a bunch of names: Mike Robertson, Gray Cook, Eric Cressey and Dan John for training. Alan Aragon and Lyle McDonald for nutrition.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 6:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anatomy and physiology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 10:47pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I was just directed to this thread. I wanna answer this week on my day off so I can give adequate time to an answer for ya. Will be back Soon!
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like your head is in the right place... This is actually exactly what I do for a living. I'm a CSCS.

From my experience in combat and contact sports, athletes are most deficient in proper nutrition, followed by workout protocols, exercise technique, and sport-specific movements. They also (usually) are misinformed on the advantages/disadvantages of martial arts and supplemental weight training... I don't know how many times I hear some BS like "squats only train ONE part of the body (which any serious squatter knows is absolutely ridiculous), which is why I practice yoga. I have whole-body strength."

A lot of what I do is proving that progressive weight training works, while dispelling exercise myths that are very ingrained in the martial arts world. There's a lot of injury rehab and prevention in there, as well, and I love working with knee and shoulder injuries. I have a literal stack of research journals on the subject, if you're ever looking for scientific answers to those questions.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    9/07/2012 10:03am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, sorry this took so long...

Regarding training, I will say that you should get as much training as possible in several areas. Obviously some basic in fitness and conditioning, etc, but, most importantly, when you decide to coach is to establish a team of coaches that can compliment each other's stregnths and weaknesses. No single coach can do it all.

But, in terms of MMA/Martial Arts Specific education for you, I have several suggestions:

Start your USA Boxing coach certification. At least take the level 1 course. You won't regret it. It cover the basics of many areas including teaching methods, language, physical training, basic sports related first aid, weight cutting, etc.

I would also suggest taking the Association of Boxing Commissions Referee/Judge course...even if you never plan on reffing or judging.

Aside from your basic CPR & First Aid certs, in terms of combat sports medicine, I would highly suggest attending this: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/4/11...ium-new-jersey

I found it EXTREMELY valuable. The NJ Athletic Commission started this program this year in conjunction with Dr. Sheryl Wulkan and the Sports Medicine branch of Atlantic Health (they are also the medical team for the NJ Devils and NY Jets). It is now an annual event like none other. Very worth making the trip.

Other things I have done that have helped me were really based on my own college and graduate education. Also, my training as a massage therapist was super helpful over the years (knowledge of the body, Anatomy & Physiology, rehab, sports medicine, etc.).
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Replying to this thread only to note that there is an ABC approved MMA referee & judge course coming up on Feb 16-17, 2013.

If you are serious about building your credentials as a coach, this is a not to be missed event!

Bullshido thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...04#post2749604