Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cracked article: fat is forever

Like many at Bullshido, I like me some Cracked. They write some interesting things about a wide range of subjects, often in a very politically incorrect/no-bullshit way.

Fitness is a topic often discussed on this forum, so I thought this would be interesting to a lot of you. Hope it doesn't smash your gris-gris too bad.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/f...feature_module
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    Bullshido is not like the police department, or even POWNET; it really just gets random hard ons and then follows it's dick.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 11:38am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about that article, man. 2003/2004 or so, I hit 210lbs.

Here's the best (worst) pic of me I can find from that time period:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phrost-vegas2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	13483

Not all of it was fat; I was lifting and doing jits 3 days a week.

Here's a more recent picture of me, at 175. Notice the difference right at my rib cage? Photo 1, it's convex. Photo 2, it's concave; it, being my gut.

For the past 3 years I've been under 180. For the past 5 I've been under 190.

I basically just stopped eating as much bullshit and started running again. My diet isn't perfect, but I avoid processed foods as much as possible and try to eat Paleo where possible.

I also don't have a choice: the US Army says I can't be over 189 without them dropping a rock of fossilized bullshit on my head from 10,000 feet.

Fortunately, I've got a decent metabolism. As long as I eat less shitty and bust my ass at the gym, I lose weight. It won't always be like that, so I'm putting in extra effort before I reach the age where my metabolism tells me to go **** myself. Being old AND fat would be miserable.

So I'm not sure where this guy is coming from at all. Sure, people who try to make monumental shifts in their diet and lifestyle will ultimately fail; because those shifts are so far away from what their default state as a person is, they can't possibly maintain them.

But if you stop worrying about "ideal" and shoot for "good", you tend to have a lot of success. Also, it helps if you're willing to beat yourself with your own bootstraps.

The more I think about this article, the more I want to kick its author in his wubbly jowls.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 11:58am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. But in any case, by your description you weren't in a structured weight loss program; so study may not apply.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 12:48pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. But in any case, by your description you weren't in a structured weight loss program; so study may not apply.
    That wasn't the premise of the article. I'll quote the first line:

Let's get this straight: The number of people who go from fat to thin, and stay there, statistically rounds down to zero.
    Which aside from being meaningless (499 out of 1000 'rounds down to 0'), doesn't say anything about a structured weight loss program.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 1:32pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can lose weight, but keeping it off is a different story. It requires a significant lifestyle change--something that is almost impossible for most people. The psychological aspect of weight loss is a bitch. If you buy into the set-point weight theory, your body has a weight that it wants you to be at and breaking through that is very difficult--and your subconscious sabotages you to get there.

One thing about these studies, though: they're usually dealing with ordinary morons. Athletes are different from other humans like, say, the average fat housewife on Jenny Craig. That goes double for martial artists--what kind of normal, sane person willingly gets smashed into the ground and does ne waza for hours in 90+ degree heat?

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 1:32pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should have clarified, I figured the study was a more interesting topic than the article. I am referring to second study linked. The abandon hope tone of the article is just cracked humor.

The second study requires more reading time than I have right now but it looks interesting though it is a meta study. I tend to find direct studies more interesting.

The lack of efficacy of these programs is a big concern. You talk of boot strappiness and weight loss; this kind of information is key. People put a lot of individual effort into losing weight and need good info to pick a wise place to put there efforts.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 1:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has no bearing on the discussion, but I'll use this opportunity to boast that I saw 216 on the scale in January and weighed in at a super sexy 182 this morning.

I've had several big fluctuations in weight over the past ten years but I learned some fucking magic this time. My secret? Moderation.

In the past I would go long stretches where I would work out like a madman and eat like a skinny teenaged girl. I'd get in awesome shape, then get burned out after a while and get lazy.

My motivation to diet was always linked to my motivation to exercise. When I got tired of working out all the time I started eating like **** too. This time I tried not to be such an anal bastard. I maintained a good diet but didn't get too crazy with it. If I felt like working out I did. If not, I didn't. I didn't have an all or nothing attitude. It helped a lot and I've gotten back in shape without feeling like I was in boot camp. Maybe a new formula for success for me.

We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 1:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the article. Entertaining, cynical, but still bullshit.

It basically states that sincce we are subject to entropy and will eventually lose our shape then there is no reason to ever try. Forget quality of life during the time that you are fit, just give up and be a beached whale because it doesn't last forever.

His "mathematical evidence" is misrepresented.

A similar argument would be, all living organisms die thus no organism ever lives.

Fallacy. Funny, cynical fallacy, but fallacy none the less.

I am going to keep eating "slow foods" as much as I can. I'm going to keep eating high protein, high fiber, low fat and low carb. I'm going to keep walking to work every day, and doing body weight excersises so my muscles don't atrophy.

I hypothesize that as long as I keep doing the good things and avoiding the bad things I will continue to shed fat at a moderate pace as I have done since I quit drinking all the time, eating bullshit and being a slug. If I hit a plateu (I think I might be comming up on one) than I'll take advantage of my new weight and work out even harder.

I am now the same size and weight I was ten years ago in my early 20's. That's no fluke. That is the direct result of increased physical activity and decent nutrition. I bet I can do even better.
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 7/06/2012 2:03pm at .

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found poverty/stinginess to be an awesome way to stay in shape. I can't afford a car, and like hell if I'm going to pay two whole dollars to take a bus downtown, so I end up biking something like seventy miles a week. Being cheap/poor also means I'm less willing to spend money on food, particularly junk food is which is giving me less bang for my buck nutrition-wise.
    What I'm saying is, **** everyone who says they're too poor to be in shape. I'm too poor to be fat.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many people can lose some weight—200lbs to 185 or whatnot.

If you're circus fat, you're probably stuck. Maybe you can get down from three-ring headliner to one-ring sideshow attraction, but that's it. The only extremely fat person I know who lost a lot of weight without surgery did it by flying to Haiti to volunteer in the wake of that terrible earthquake a few years ago. He was there long enough and working hard enough that he came back thin and didn't immediately go back to his old lifestyle. His time in Haiti changed not only his physique, but his priorities.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many people can lose some weight—200lbs to 185 or whatnot.

If you're circus fat, you're probably stuck. Maybe you can get down from three-ring headliner to one-ring sideshow attraction, but that's it. The only extremely fat person I know who lost a lot of weight without surgery did it by flying to Haiti to volunteer in the wake of that terrible earthquake a few years ago. He was there long enough and working hard enough that he came back thin and didn't immediately go back to his old lifestyle. His time in Haiti changed not only his physique, but his priorities.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast