heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drunken techniques...right?

...no drunken style, unless you count getting hammered and shadow boxing.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 3:52pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Canto friends still call me Jeuimaalau.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 4:52pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FluidSound View Post
    It's not about martial arts though that you should show these things. Listen, showing respect doesn't mean tell someone they're right. Nor does being nice. You can still do them and prove that someone is wrong. If they think they're right still even if proven so, that's THEIR problem. Ignore them and let them think what they will. There are still frauds and fakes today.

If you want to prove someone is wrong, you don't laugh at them and humiliate them. How does that teach THEM? That discourages them even further from learning. Why would I want a douchebag for a teacher? If you want to prove something is false, you can show it, but don't thrash on the person that thinks it. That's just cruelty.

It doesn't take a martial artist to make someone feel like ****, is basically what I'm getting at.
    Young man, this site was started over ten years ago on the premise of having a web forum dedicated to martial arts where the debate was as unfettered as possible. This means not censuring members for maligning each other or each other's opinions.

Web sites like MAP moderate their discussions for politeness. Bullshido has never and will never require members to be civil toward each other. This is our policy because it encourages members to speak their minds in an honest fashion. You'll note that being honest is not necessarily the same thing as being polite.

Years ago, before the Newbietown forum was created, any new member introducing themselves in a thread was met with endless abuse from both the staff and other members. In this way, those with thin skin were weeded out quickly.

We expect you to read our rules and educate yourself about the posting requirements of the different fora on the site. When you fail to do so, it is the equivalent of walking into our living room, defecating in the middle of the floor and then complaining about how you are treated to the people that have to clean up your mess. You'll pardon us if we fail to throw roses at your feet when you walk into our room the next time.

So, by all means, continue to ask us to completely reverse the culture of the site just for you.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 6:19pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    angry drunken sounding rant.
    Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.--Abe Lincoln.

I'll humiliate you later, with quotes from that old thread that you didn't read.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 7:37pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Preemptive apologies are useless and insincere. You knew you could have done something differently and chose not to. Now you panic because someone told you to use the search function. Well, they should have. Next time you'll know better.

I'll play the old proverb game too:
    Someone helps those that help themselves.

Or something, I'm paraphrasing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 10:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, the people of this forum are nice aren't they. I typed Drunken in search and could not find the thread from list start to end.
    Yet, you titled your thread DRUNKEN FIST. When I put that into the search guess what the first two links were?
    1) Your thread
    2) The thread I linked.
    Yes, in that order.
    Here is what is even funnier. When I put in "drunken" guess what happens?
    1) A joke thread.
    2) Your thread.
    3) Troll thread
    4) Thread I linked.

Why am I pointing this out? In both searches the thread I linked would be 1 & 3 respectively because your thread would not exist.

So, that blows this excuse completely out of the water.

I typed in Drunken for my search by the way, to assure that I'd find it and it did not show up for me.
    No, I do not believe you searched anything.

Also, the other thread just talks about how it's bullshit. There is practicality in learning the art, even if we're not talking fighting. The other thread, from my understanding just talks about how it's "bullshit". But there's no talk about what benefits it can have in helping you. Not to mention that eventually, everyone starts to talk about Wushu being bullshit. But is this site only about who can beat who's ass instead of what can be learned from different styles?
    Here are a few posts from that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Guizzy View Post
    Ok, on "Drunken Boxing"... IT'S A FUCKING MYTH! There ARE arts with drunken forms, yes, but I have NEVER, EVER heard about or seen a standalone drunken boxing style with any shred of legitimacy. NONE.

As to if it would be effective. Well, for the tens of things a drunkard does wrong while fighting, there are a few things one could possibly learn from it. A drunk person does tend to put his bodyweight into his strike and he does tend to be rather aggressive. That's about it. And for that, he do tend to trip easily, to be slower to react, to have a severe case of tunnel vision and have bad judgement, which are in no way good for fighting.

On the subject of learning from movies and the internet... For each minute you train something wrong off the net or a movie because there is no one to correct you, you'll need 2 minutes of deprogramming when you finally drag your ass off to a real, good teacher.

Oh, and I speak/write english as my second language, and even I find it's a terrible eye sore to see EFFECTIVE spelled as AFFECTIVE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    we have a drunken section in our tiger crane form. some of us tend to exaggerate the drunken movements, while others do not.

my sifu doesn't exaggerate the drunken movements, and has shown us ways to use that section as a way to slip punches and either shoulder strike or set up a takedown/throw. it can be effective, however it looks nothing like jackie chan, and we don't drink lots of wine in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    Damn, my scare quotes weren't scary enough... :biggrin:

You're right, of course, he picked up one of the classic "drunken" forms and adapted the movements for actual use. The form contained the invisible goblet, and the fall-as-if-collapsing move, both of which are generally equated with the "drunken" look. That said, he didn't look particularly drunk in the usual sense of the word when he fought with that stuff. He just used weird angles and faked being off-balance, &c.

For comparison, Tai Yim was able to do the same kinds of things using the techniques from his system's "Cripple Form," which is another collection of unorthodox movements designed with similar intent.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Which I bet he learned from a specific form. There in lies the problem. Drunken techniques or application is better than saying drunken style.

Yes, I know you put it in quotes but, many will think you mean OMG 8 Immortals is legit. It has been said in numerous threads by numerous people that it is more subterfuge, unorthodox techniques, strange angles, than actual drunkenness.
    Yep, you were wrong.

Also, the thread starts harassing a member instead of telling him whether he's wrong or right about something in a calm, curteous manner.
    Oh no. You mean this kid? Zuilung? I see. So anyone that acts like you does no wrong. Gotcha.

Man, this site really knows how to run it's self. It's not even that you're blunt, you're jerks about things too. How the Hell do any of you expect anyone to listen if you have nothing good to say and you aren't going to give respect saying it?
    Give respect? It is called earning respect.

Also, it's not lazyness. If you see that something is going nowhere, it's only fair to assume that it never will go anymore. Especially by page 15.
    That thread answered all of your questions, dismissed many of your ideas, and addressed your comments of effectiveness. Just like I TOLD YOU it would. Your assumptions, no matter the reasoning, makes you lazy, impatient and wrong.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 12:07pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I drank a whole bottle of Sambucca last night and then I went skinny dipping.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 9:43am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    I drank a whole bottle of Sambucca last night and then I went skinny dipping.
    Don't try that in November - you balls will shrink into your throat for starters and you nickname would change to "clit"
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast