Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 7:28pm

Style: Hung Gar

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by profroche View Post
    I don't see how you're required to be nice to people who are following you around with cameras hoping they catch you doing something embarrassing so they can sell the video.
    Fair enough. But we're allowed to joke on celebrities without ever meeting them. Its the price he pays for all the money and coke.

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 8:35pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole, "make it grainy so people think we're in cinema's arse end of the golden age" idea is as cool as people dressing up like they from the 50s. It's a niche that has become cliche, even kitsch. It's mainstream to do it like it is mainstream to say Tarantino is a genius.

Have you watched Deathproof? It's fucking terrible. I get that it is meant to be terrible, it is meant to look like it is from Grindhouse cinema, I get that the plot is meant to plod, the characters are meant to be unlikeable and unrelatable, that the action is meant to resemble the old car chase scenes of the 60s and 70s. I get it, I get that it is an ode to that type of cinema. Truly I do. But there is a reason why that type of cinema is dead, there's a reason why there is only a handful of drive in cinemas nowadays, there's a reason why there isn't intermissions during movies anymore. We've moved on from that nostalgic past and this obsession with thinking that the past somehow was "better" is bullshit. I certainly don't have to think, "wow, he's a genius for doing what was done 30-40 years ago". Take influences and make something new, not rehash them. A good artist borrows, a great artist steals and he's just copying.

Fucking hell, the dude rips off worldwide cinema and everyone drops to their knees to suck his cock.

I liked the plot execution of Pulp Fiction, loved Reservoir Dogs, didn't mind Inglorious Basterds and couldn't give two shits about the overacted, over produced, over sensationalised Kill Bills. I appreciate he has a diverse influence in cinema, especially his passion for Australian cinema, which is FUCKING TERRIBLE, but it's Australian and so one day we might get it right.

This rant brought because bodhi108 needed to see I'm on his side for the most part and I just want to hear his opinion without having to search "Tarantino, Racist much?" in google. Help me out, dude.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 8:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    The whole, "make it grainy so people think we're in cinema's arse end of the golden age" idea is as cool as people dressing up like they from the 50s.
    If you don't like grainy cinema, you obviously haven't seen Chloe Sevigny in The Brown Bunny.

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 8:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Battlefields, don't be so hard on your native cinema.

Granted, most of the films I've seen from the land of Oz were low budget (no budget?) exploitation flicks remenicent of Peter Jackson's early works, but you know what else they were?

Freaking entertaining! Really, really entertaining! Worth watching and reccomending.

I feel the same way about Tarantino. Death Proof sucked. It totally did. I won't make excuses for it either, it's his weakest film IMO. Reservoir Dogs was a shameless rip off of a quintesential Hong Kong action film. But "adapting" asian films to the U.S. is nothing new. It's been going down since Akira Kurosawa got inspired by western films, and then western film directors got inspired by him. They've been circle jerking since the fifties.

I'm going to come out and say that Tarantino is not a good writer either. From a purely technical standpoint he kind of sucks. He interupts action for tengential dialougue that lasts so long you forget you were watching an action scene. His pen is full of wrong sauce. It's even his hallmark!

But he makes it entertaining. The tangents are fun. The return to action is a surprise. His scenes take you on a journey and back making even the simplest revenge narative into a complex story that requires thought to sort through.

I like that. I like that his movies are fun. As long as they stay entertaining, I can live with him sucking at creativity, or at being a human, or whatever it is you guys are down on him for.

JMHO.

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 9:57pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Battlefields, don't be so hard on your native cinema.

Granted, most of the films I've seen from the land of Oz were low budget (no budget?) exploitation flicks remenicent of Peter Jackson's early works, but you know what else they were?
    The name of it is Ozploitation and there is a documentary on it in which Tarantino features prominently, as one of the foremost proponents.

Freaking entertaining! Really, really entertaining! Worth watching and reccomending.

I feel the same way about Tarantino. Death Proof sucked. It totally did. I won't make excuses for it either, it's his weakest film IMO. Reservoir Dogs was a shameless rip off of a quintesential Hong Kong action film. But "adapting" asian films to the U.S. is nothing new. It's been going down since Akira Kurosawa got inspired by western films, and then western film directors got inspired by him. They've been circle jerking since the fifties.

I'm going to come out and say that Tarantino is not a good writer either. From a purely technical standpoint he kind of sucks. He interupts action for tengential dialougue that lasts so long you forget you were watching an action scene. His pen is full of wrong sauce. It's even his hallmark!

But he makes it entertaining. The tangents are fun. The return to action is a surprise. His scenes take you on a journey and back making even the simplest revenge narative into a complex story that requires thought to sort through.

I like that. I like that his movies are fun. As long as they stay entertaining, I can live with him sucking at creativity, or at being a human, or whatever it is you guys are down on him for.

JMHO.
    I understand it is entertaining, otherwise I wouldn't watch it. The thing is it ain't genius.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 11:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I understand it is entertaining, otherwise I wouldn't watch it. The thing is it ain't genius.
    You got a point there. It certainly ain't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 2:30am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone else feel that the trailer makes it look like this movie doesn't know what it wants to be and seems like a huge clusterfuck of outlandish characters and pseudo-iconic one liners?

I mean, there's a big chance I'm going to watch this, but... you know?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 11:56am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love Joss Whedon.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 12:02pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    No, I don't.
    Admit it, Fake. You missed me.

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Does anyone else feel that the trailer makes it look like this movie doesn't know what it wants to be and seems like a huge clusterfuck of outlandish characters and pseudo-iconic one liners?
    Definitely. Looks like the producers and writers and director had a big brainstorming session and then, afterwards, said YES YES YES to every idea anyone had written down.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast