:)

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 1:32am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Ah yes, ye old one guy in boxing gloves setup. Just like chun demos. Is that the best one you could find?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 8:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Ah yes, ye old one guy in boxing gloves setup. Just like chun demos.
    Not quite. In the chun demos, the guy in gloves usually has a cracked rib or two as well.

See what I did there?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 4:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason View Post
    My question is why do people thing palm heel strikes are slaps?
    because they're ignorant, & most likely willfully so. so many think that punches are "manly" & an open-hand strike is not. it's a stupid position, of course, but there it is.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 4:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    I see Bas competing in a rule set that mandates them to the face, I see instructionals, I see talking and dummy demos, I see cold cocks. Got any of 2 people fighting, where they both know it's started, where they are effective?
    I fail to see how the Bas vids don't fit your requirements.

How about one with 2 people in a fight, and one is punching, and yet the slapper wins out, b/c they're more effective against a resisting, aware opponent?
    you sound like that other idiot who kept whining about there being no good Silat VS MMA vids on YouTube.

I've seen many a fight, on youtube, and a few in person, and don't remember seeing that. Is that b/c I haven't looked enough, or b/c people don't know the d3adly when it's available to them, or b/c they aren't as effective when it comes to it?
    Open-hand strikes work just fine, esp when trained correctly & use in their variety (just as closed fist strikes are used in variety). If you don't want to train them enough to find the DIFFERENT effectiveness, that's up to you. I've broken my right hand twice on heads. I didn't like it, as my day jobs were (the first time) slowed and (the second time) jeopardized.

Cupping the ear would be effective, but if you rupture an eardrum, and end up w/ police involved, how does that look?
    it looks like you slapped some guy in the side of the head while defending yourself and inadvertently blew his eardrum. what would it look like to you, that you're some super commando H2H master running around rupturing the eardrums of the wicked? LOL
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    because they're ignorant, & most likely willfully so. so many think that punches are "manly" & an open-hand strike is not. it's a stupid position, of course, but there it is.
    I've noticed that punches seem to be a more focused blow. Delivering their jules to a smaller cross section. So they work well against brittle superficial targets such as the jaw or ribs, or soft targets that require a degree of precision to nail like the liver.

Palms on the other hand seem to distribute their force over the entire surounding area attacked. Whereas some energy from a puch to the face will be absorbed by the head and neck before it affects the brain, a decent palm to the dome piece can rattle the entire brain pan.

To me it comes down tothe target and your desired effect upon it. Also, open handed attacks transition into grappling with greater ease since your already in a grabby position.

JMHO, you're mileage may varry.

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 5:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 6:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    I've noticed that punches seem to be a more focused blow. Delivering their jules to a smaller cross section. So they work well against brittle superficial targets such as the jaw or ribs, or soft targets that require a degree of precision to nail like the liver.

Palms on the other hand seem to distribute their force over the entire surounding area attacked. Whereas some energy from a puch to the face will be absorbed by the head and neck before it affects the brain, a decent palm to the dome piece can rattle the entire brain pan.

To me it comes down tothe target and your desired effect upon it. Also, open handed attacks transition into grappling with greater ease since your already in a grabby position.

JMHO, you're mileage may varry.

how much different is the striking surface size again?

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 8:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're asking me if the palm of the hand and the knuckles are the same size? Are yours the same size?

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 8:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    You're asking me if the palm of the hand and the knuckles are the same size? Are yours the same size?
    why the hell do you keep saying "palm of the hand"? we're comparing fist to PALM HEEL.

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 9:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    why the hell do you keep saying "palm of the hand"? we're comparing fist to PALM HEEL.
    Sorry. People have been lumping open handed strikes togeather as whole in this thread and I was following suit.

Even just heel vs. Kuckle though you have a diference in cross section and hardness. A fist has hard boney protrusions and the heel of the palm is somewhat padded.

Like the difference between a ball peen hammer and a rubber hammer. They both drive nails. They both hurt like hell. They both do certain specialized jobs better than the other.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast