Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 4:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Whoever came up with this cliche had never experienced a knee to the face.
    not to mention an elbow
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 6:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Not sure, but could be wrap oranges in a towel. Very jailhouse for suburban inter-home discipline.
    From the grifters.

Otherwise I know guys who can put people out with open hands. And they are invariably slaps. (Hooking palms whatever)

I can't.

Having said that I recently discovered I am pushing too heavily with my striking and it is lowering the juice I put out. So mabye with a faster snappyier shot I will have more luck with an open hand.

Hopefully i won't have to find out.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 7/11/2012 7:02am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 12:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    From the grifters.
    Yes, the little bastards.
    Classic movie.

There was a homeless guy in my area who was fond of sayin',
    "I put a man down wit an open five!!"
    with his palm raised, menacingly...

Apparently palm-strikes are teh r34l on teh str33ts.
    So there.

:)

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If anyone were offered trading open hand strikes for closed fist punches, who would want to be the slapper? Not I.

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 3:31pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He had a soft face

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 6:59pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knees and elbows and their surrounding structures are far more sturdy than your knuckles/hand. It isn't even involved in the equation here. I would rather elbow and knee than punch or palm heel, but there is obviously an issue of range with those techniques.
  7. Derpjitsu

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 9:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In every Bas Rutten video he talks about using palm strikes for more power when range is an issue (you're lying on the ground) and so the guy doesn't lower his head and you break all your knuckles.

Mike Tyson broke his hands numerous times in street fights because he didn't know how to punch without tape. Should've watched El Guapo fight

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 10:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpjitsu View Post
    Mike Tyson broke his hands numerous times in street fights because he didn't know how to punch without tape.
    You ever see a picture of the guys he hit? Their faces looked like a baboon's ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

:)

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 12:29am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DYMBDT DIHTBTL?
    Damn you must be drinking tonight. Did it have to be that long?
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpjitsu View Post
    In every Bas Rutten video he talks about using palm strikes for more power when range is an issue (you're lying on the ground) and so the guy doesn't lower his head and you break all your knuckles.
    El Guapo competed in a sport, where open hand strikes to the face were part of the rule-set. By your own description though, he was recommending it when space/altitude was an issue.

When Bas has standing space, and it's hands time, in the SD vids I've seen from him, it's danga da danga da dang with closed fists.

In the SD situations I've been forced into, my hands are clenched, until I make the move to restrain. When I have made said move, my fingers are either buried in, or twisted into their clothing, and not really available for grabbing.

My whole living is via my hands (in association with my vocal chords :), so it's an important issue to me, as I often play in downtown not-nice-city USA.

I always grab, never punch/kick for legal/ethical reasons, but if I absolutely had to, to stay safe, I wouldn't be slapping, that's for damn sure.

In my opinion, anyone you can slap into submission, could as easily rolled into a little ball, having avoided striking altogether. If damage to the hands holds weight, then that's the ideal, if you think about it.

You could cold-cock someone w/ a slap to great effect, if they're neck isn't tensed, but otherwise, unless you train to really get the hip into it, or your stuck on the ground, it's fists closed. Too many things can go wrong with open hands.

The palm strike has too much angle of attack restriction b/c of the wrists' necessary angle. More can go wrong than right, and those aren't high probability. Slaps just don't seem to have the power.

Again in-my-opinion (of course) In one class you could enable someone to punch closed fist, with the effectiveness of someone who spends years smacking people with their palms, if size is equivalent.
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 7/13/2012 12:35am at . Reason: Damn that turned out long. OH well tough shit, I read all of your long ass posts.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 4:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    DYMBDT DIHTBTL?
    Damn you must be drinking tonight. Did it have to be that long?

El Guapo competed in a sport, where open hand strikes to the face were part of the rule-set. By your own description though, he was recommending it when space/altitude was an issue.

When Bas has standing space, and it's hands time, in the SD vids I've seen from him, it's danga da danga da dang with closed fists.

In the SD situations I've been forced into, my hands are clenched, until I make the move to restrain. When I have made said move, my fingers are either buried in, or twisted into their clothing, and not really available for grabbing.

My whole living is via my hands (in association with my vocal chords :), so it's an important issue to me, as I often play in downtown not-nice-city USA.

I always grab, never punch/kick for legal/ethical reasons, but if I absolutely had to, to stay safe, I wouldn't be slapping, that's for damn sure.

In my opinion, anyone you can slap into submission, could as easily rolled into a little ball, having avoided striking altogether. If damage to the hands holds weight, then that's the ideal, if you think about it.

You could cold-cock someone w/ a slap to great effect, if they're neck isn't tensed, but otherwise, unless you train to really get the hip into it, or your stuck on the ground, it's fists closed. Too many things can go wrong with open hands.

The palm strike has too much angle of attack restriction b/c of the wrists' necessary angle. More can go wrong than right, and those aren't high probability. Slaps just don't seem to have the power.

Again in-my-opinion (of course) In one class you could enable someone to punch closed fist, with the effectiveness of someone who spends years smacking people with their palms, if size is equivalent.
    ^^^a bunch of anecdotal drivel^^^

Bas Rutten has clearly stated that he loves open hand strikes, he recommends them highly for self defense & anyone who says open hands can't be used to great effect is plain wrong, however he spent so many years training with closed fists that he just prefers to use them.

pro fighters can do whatever they like, & boxing is fun and quite effective, but ANYONE WITH A REAL DAY JOB should really look into open hand strikes so that if they do have to fight, they can greatly increase their chances to be able to type or turn a wrench or whatever fine motor movements their job requires the next day. Don't be a fool. Look into it.

this is indisputable proof that open hand is stronger than closed hand.

if you can't set up effective combinations with these strikes, you need help

Last edited by Jim_Jude; 7/13/2012 4:22am at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast