Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 4:46pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)

Hell yeah! Hell no!

*VIDEO* Smuggled Cuban Boxing Secrets!

Last year I had traveled to Cuba to train boxing (I did so legally from Miami to Havana). Since 1972, Cuba has earned more Olympic medals in boxing than any other country in the world. The United States is a boxing powerhouse - but due to the embargo, Cuba's boxing techniques and training concepts are a secret to most American fighters.

Some Americans that manage to visit Cuba try to smuggle out cigars or rum... I smuggled out boxing secrets! I got to train with legendary boxing coach Carlos Miranda. Coach Miranda was very different than most boxing coaches I had worked with prior. He has a serious wisdom… he is a guru… he is the Cuban Mr. Miyagi of boxing! I compare him to Mr. Miyagi because every sentence that came out of his mouth was enlightening. I would hang out after the training sessions and sit back with him in the shade and talk for hours about boxing, combat, coaching, and even philosophy… and I learned more about boxing in those few hours talking than I had learned in years of training!

Amongst many principles and concepts he shared with me in those conversations, he introduced to me a very simple system for shadow boxing and practicing technique that revolutionized the way my team now practices striking – and even grappling. The system is so darn simple and when you hear it, it makes perfect sense… but I have never been to a gym that practices shadow boxing in this exact manner. Don’t get me wrong… there are definitely champions that utilize these principles – but I haven’t seen it taught systematically the way it was explained to me.

Ok Avellan, so what's the secret? I could type it out but I think video would help get the message across best! I have been using this system for over a year now and have not shared it publicly. I showed this system to a few colleagues at a seminar, which included world champion trainers Greg Nelson, Adam and Rory Singer, Lloyd Irvin, and UFC veterans and BJJ Black Belts Marcus Aurelio, Tim Credeur, Alberto Crane, Shawn Williams, and a dozen or so others that were in attendance. However, this is the first time I put this information out to the public… the secret is out!

In a few days I’ll post part II – stay tuned!

If you like the concepts you are hearing, visit www.BlackBeltPsychology.com and join my email list to get more videos and articles about the mindset of training, competition, and combat.

P.S. Please leave feedback!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 4:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Last year I had traveled to Cuba to train boxing (I did so legally from Miami to Havana). Since 1972, Cuba has earned more Olympic medals in boxing than any other country in the world. The United States is a boxing powerhouse - but due to the embargo, Cuba's boxing techniques and training concepts are a secret to most American fighters.

Some Americans that manage to visit Cuba try to smuggle out cigars or rum... I smuggled out boxing secrets! I got to train with legendary boxing coach Carlos Miranda. Coach Miranda was very different than most boxing coaches I had worked with prior. He has a serious wisdom… he is a guru… he is the Cuban Mr. Miyagi of boxing! I compare him to Mr. Miyagi because every sentence that came out of his mouth was enlightening. I would hang out after the training sessions and sit back with him in the shade and talk for hours about boxing, combat, coaching, and even philosophy… and I learned more about boxing in those few hours talking than I had learned in years of training!

Amongst many principles and concepts he shared with me in those conversations, he introduced to me a very simple system for shadow boxing and practicing technique that revolutionized the way my team now practices striking – and even grappling. The system is so darn simple and when you hear it, it makes perfect sense… but I have never been to a gym that practices shadow boxing in this exact manner. Don’t get me wrong… there are definitely champions that utilize these principles – but I haven’t seen it taught systematically the way it was explained to me.

Ok Avellan, so what's the secret? I could type it out but I think video would help get the message across best! I have been using this system for over a year now and have not shared it publicly. I showed this system to a few colleagues at a seminar, which included world champion trainers Greg Nelson, Adam and Rory Singer, Lloyd Irvin, and UFC veterans and BJJ Black Belts Marcus Aurelio, Tim Credeur, Alberto Crane, Shawn Williams, and a dozen or so others that were in attendance. However, this is the first time I put this information out to the public… the secret is out!

If you like the concepts you are hearing, visit www.BlackBeltPsychology.com and join my email list to get more videos and articles about the mindset of training, competition, and combat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 4:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2012 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool video! There is lots of really good stuff in there that applies to a lot of different ranges and arts. Thanks!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  5. JKD1128

Posted On:
    7/03/2012 11:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Love the breaking up the timing with the jabs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 4:47pm

Style: BJJ & MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is great stuff. Looking forward to parts 2 and 3. Thanks for posting!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 6:19pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    Kenny?

Thank you for posting this, Marcos. Great stuff here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 4:04am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nööb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff. Finally that Bedazzled movie has been of some use.

Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    Part 2 is online on youtube.

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 5:38am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was nice. My trainer (Russian) loves Cuban boxing and he makes us train with different kinds of music so the rhythm is not set (apparently Jewish Hasidim music gives you good rhythm). Did you guys train with music? and what kind of music if so?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 12:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys for the feedback, I'm glad you guys liked it! erezb, the training was outdoors and definitely had no music :) I think there was one heavybag... the guys were actually punching tires... it was VERY bad ass... they mounted the tires on the wall and would throw uppercuts and hooks inside the tires, and the angles on the tires allowed some cool combos. I got video of working on the tires, it would so cool that I wanted to mount a few tires at the gym, but I had forgotten and this post just reminded me :) I'm going to get on right away!

Here is a video of us training in Cuba under the legendary Coach Miranda: