MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 3:04am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Polearms and the law

This thread is ridiculous, and I apologize for that.
    Whenever someone asks about weapons for self-defense, my typically trollish answer is to recommend that they carry a glaive or a poleaxe or some similar massive polearm of antiquity, on the grounds that no one is going to start a fight with the guy with the halberd.
    Now, let's imagine for a moment a parallel universe wherein someone might actually take that advice seriously. What are the laws regarding openly carrying swords and polearms around with you as you go about your daily business?
    Secondly, if I do achieve my dreams of inventing the world's first concealable telescoping pole-axe, what is the legal status of concealed polearms? Would I be required to get a concealed carry permit for my insane weapon? Would it be a different process than getting one for a firearm?
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 4:16am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently in my home state West Virginia it is considered decorative attire and can be carried if in clear view. When I was a young and dumb teen I thought it would be cool to carry a katana in the city so I did never got caught but damn that was stupid. Also in Portland Oregon you can carry a sword in public apparently, my sword guy lol was telling me I could walk out with my sai or katana and be fine so yeah .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I'm interpreting my local laws correctly, a polearm is an openly carried fixed blade (with a long handle), and an openly carried fixed blade doesn't have a length limit. Another thought: Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel has argued that laws against spears and polearms are specifically against the 2nd amendment, because they are among the arms used by the American revolutionaries against the British.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 3:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Secondly, if I do achieve my dreams of inventing the world's first concealable telescoping pole-axe, what is the legal status of concealed polearms? Would I be required to get a concealed carry permit for my insane weapon? Would it be a different process than getting one for a firearm?
    Concealed carry permits don't include weapons other than firearms. In most states concealed blades greater than 3" in length are illegal. So, you're **** out of luck.

Maybe make a holster for your telescoping pole-axe to be carried openly on the hip. You may be all set then.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 3:14pm

Style: Western Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In VA, it seems like you can carry whatever weapon you want within reason as long as it isn't concealed.

I'm not sure if a polearm would be considered "within reason" though.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 3:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You cannot carry a polearm within city limits in Baltimore, Maryland...as nerds sometimes find out during Otakon.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Maybe make a holster for your telescoping pole-axe to be carried openly on the hip. You may be all set then.
    This actually sounds more up McClaw's alley. Maybe with some kind of crazy steampunk holser.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 4:19pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would vary widely by state.
    In Florida, if you can conceal it and is not a machine gun (even that might be okay if you have proper paperwork for it) its game.
    If you invent a concealable polearm it'd be legal for a concealed weapons license holder in Florida. Note I'm confident thats the law but i'm not a lawyer licensed in Florida.

I think theres some complex discussion going on about legality of a scabbered blade though. Like a walking stick. Blade is hidden but the handle is not.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms