Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Hello Everyone

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    34
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Hello Everyone

    Well, let's consider this.

    What is a martial art? Isn't it a form designed for self defense and form?

    Aikido is both. You must learn form in order to learn self defense. You are learning to disable your opponent. So, why ISN'T it a martial art? You have to learn it in order to use it in combat. Wing Chun is a martial art and is mostly based around it's defensive attributes. Maybe that's a stretch considering that with Wing Chun, you're still capable of advancing while defending yourself.

    Still, the point is, you can utilize a martial art to help you become better. Aikido could be a defense line and another art, your offense. Even then, Aikido can be strong if you use enough force on your already disabled opponent.

  2. #2
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,365
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FluidSound View Post
    You must learn form in order to learn self defense.
    I have never learned a form or kata in my life. Yet I have used both wrestling and BJJ in self defense situations.

    Therefore I disagree with your statement.
    Shut the hell up and train.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    34
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't Wrestling and BJJ both take form though? You don't learn them off a cereal box, I tell you that much my friend. Though, I can see where you're coming from. Still, I think Wrestling and BJJ are both respectable ways of fighting, because you're still learning something. Form isn't just old terms imo, for old arts. Even with new ways of fighting or grappling, there are forms if you are learning a style.
    Last edited by FluidSound; 6/30/2012 11:46am at .

  4. #4
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    35,332
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your writing and sentence structure makes it sound like you are talking about Kata not structure.

  5. #5
    itwasntme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Norf Carolina, throw ya hands up
    Posts
    2,208
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I have never learned a form or kata in my life. Yet I have used both wrestling and BJJ in self defense situations.

    Therefore I disagree with your statement.
    Is there no form to the techniques you used?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

  6. #6
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    35,332
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go read his edit, jnp called it correctly. No, there is no prescribed pattern of movements that are done in a specific and defined order.

    Form isn't just old terms imo, for old arts. Even with new ways of fighting or grappling, there are forms if you are learning a style.
    No, you are trying to play semantics.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    34
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Hello Everyone

    Hello. I am Fluid Sound. I'm 22 years old currently, almost 23 and a practitioner of Tai Chi Quan. I also practice boxing as well to keep an aggressive form and study other martial arts out of interest by watching them. I'm quite fond of drunken fist because it's a unique style of kung fu in my opinion. I think all martial arts and styles can be used effectively.

    Now, before I go any further, I would like to say I made a post in the Aikido section that broke no rules. I was kind and curtious. Someone disagreed with me, and that's completely and totally fine. However, both my posts were REMOVED from the thread...

    Is that how you run this forum? Why am I tempted to not leave if you're going to totally disregard and disrespect what I have to say? As a matter a fact, why should I tell ANYONE to come here if that's how you handle things you disagree with?

    I came here to talk about martial arts and discuss opinions, not to have my word tossed aside because I'm new or thought to be unqualified. Even if I am wrong, it's an opportunity to learn. So grow up.

    Thank you.

  8. #8
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    35,332
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FluidSound View Post
    Hello. I am Fluid Sound. I'm 22 years old currently, almost 23 and a practitioner of Tai Chi Quan. I also practice boxing as well to keep an aggressive form and study other martial arts out of interest by watching them. I'm quite fond of drunken fist because it's a unique style of kung fu in my opinion. I think all martial arts and styles can be used effectively.

    Now, before I go any further, I would like to say I made a post in the Aikido section that broke no rules. I was kind and curtious. Someone disagreed with me, and that's completely and totally fine. However, both my posts were REMOVED from the thread...

    Is that how you run this forum? Why am I tempted to not leave if you're going to totally disregard and disrespect what I have to say? As a matter a fact, why should I tell ANYONE to come here if that's how you handle things you disagree with?

    I came here to talk about martial arts and discuss opinions, not to have my word tossed aside because I'm new or thought to be unqualified. Even if I am wrong, it's an opportunity to learn. So grow up.

    Thank you.
    So, instead of asking you start a thread complaining? Do yourself a huge favor and read all of the rules in EVERY sub-forum. Some areas have lax rules and other areas are extremely stringent. Oh and as to this part:
    Now, before I go any further, I would like to say I made a post in the Aikido section that broke no rules. I was kind and curtious. Someone disagreed with me, and that's completely and totally fine. However, both my posts were REMOVED from the thread...

    Is that how you run this forum? Why am I tempted to not leave if you're going to totally disregard and disrespect what I have to say? As a matter a fact, why should I tell ANYONE to come here if that's how you handle things you disagree with?

    I came here to talk about martial arts and discuss opinions, not to have my word tossed aside because I'm new or thought to be unqualified. Even if I am wrong, it's an opportunity to learn. So grow up.
    You just flipped out because you didn't get your way. If you are going to post here, I'd advise you to grow a thicker skin before inviting any of your friends to this website.

    Yes that is me pointing out the irony of your current post, while telling anyone to grow up.
    Welcome to bullshido and you are welcome.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    34
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm out of hand? I'm asking politely, to reput my post back up. It was a fair and simple post. Also, this was not a rage thread. I just thought I'd bring it to your attention. I am soft skinned, but so is the way of Tai Chi, but I'm no fool. You're the childish one. You show no respect so why should I shall not submit to you.


    Also, I did NOT flip out. I have asperger syndrome, so I have a tendency to go into detail. Perhaps you should learn not to make assumptions.

    Oh, also, it's nice to meet you too. I am Fluid Sound.


    P.S.

    Didn't get my way? I made a friendly comment about a situation and it was removed. That is completely and utterly unfair. There was no rules broken and no foul play in my words. So, why don't YOU tell me how THAT'S fair in the first place? If you can give me a reason, I'll be glad to hear it. Just because you have authority, does NOT give you the privilege do be disrespectful.

  10. #10
    itwasntme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Norf Carolina, throw ya hands up
    Posts
    2,208
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FluidSound View Post
    I'm out of hand? I'm asking politely, to reput my post back up. It was a fair and simple post. Also, this was not a rage thread. I just thought I'd bring it to your attention. I am soft skinned, but so is the way of Tai Chi, but I'm no fool. You're the childish one. You show no respect so why should I shall not submit to you.


    Also, I did NOT flip out. I have asperger syndrome, so I have a tendency to go into detail. Perhaps you should learn not to make assumptions.

    Oh, also, it's nice to meet you too. I am Fluid Sound.


    P.S.

    Didn't get my way? I made a friendly comment about a situation and it was removed. That is completely and utterly unfair. There was no rules broken and no foul play in my words. So, why don't YOU tell me how THAT'S fair in the first place? If you can give me a reason, I'll be glad to hear it. Just because you have authority, does NOT give you the privilege do be disrespectful.
    Soft-skinned is the way of Tai Chi? Huh.

    Anyways, just calm down dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in