Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    Or you can look at it as until that moment Anderson had effectively neutralized his ability to deal damage a la his match with Hendo. The backfist was an unfortunate mistake, but this fight was nothing like the first one. Also if he had been winning before throwing the spinning backfist, why was he on his feet against arguably the best striker in mma? If he was winning one would argue he would have been grinding away against the fence or on top.

Now, Chael is definitely a challenge for Anderson, but the fact is that he lost twice. He was "winning" both fights before he lost them, but he still lost, both times. George Foreman was "winning" before Ali knocked him out. There are fighters who haven't fought Anderson Silva yet, who pose interesting questions.

Michael Bisping for instance, showed great conditioning in his last fight with Sonnen, some even argue that he won that fight. He's got some of the best striking defense in Mixed Martial Arts, excellent submission defense, and he's younger than Silva.

Another example would be Jacare Souza. World Class ground game and he's not afraid to strike. Mind you I think Silva's accuracy would be the end of him and his jumping spinning back kicks to the face (see the Marunde fight). However with some high level experience in the UFC (given Silva doesn't retire or something before he can attain that), I see Souza as being a serious middleweight contender.

Also Weidman and Munoz look very good lately, the winner of that fight is in the running as well. There is ALWAYS someone else to fight. Nobody cleans out a division, not even Anderson Silva. I personally think Chael Sonnen is a great gatekeeper, but similar to Tito during Chuck's reign, can't seem to beat the guy.

Also can't forget Rockhold, guy has legit skills. t3h r34l mma

Sorry for wall 0 text. I'm oddly energetic today.
    I agree completely that Sonnen has choked twice, but I just dont really rate Bisping that much. I thought it was more Sonnen being terrible in that fight rather than Bisping being good, in any case I wouldn't give him much of a chance against silva. As for souza I think he trains with silva so that fight is out of the question, of the other people you mentioned I'd give rockhold a good chance alright, and it'd be cool to have a champ vs champ fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 5:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    it'd be cool to have a champ vs champ fight.
    Lol then Anderson Silva will have unified the Pride, UFC, and Strikeforce Middleweight Belts. Seems like a fitting challenge at this point in his career. It would help his case for GOAT.

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 10:52pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing is, until he fell on his ass trying a spinning back fist, he was winning, he's also the only fighter who is anywhere competitive against silva, he's walked through the rest of the division.
    A round on top with no significant damage is the part that hurt his case for a quick rematch after an unfortunate backfist. Still I think he will have success against the rest of the division.

:)

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 12:13am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sonnen talked his way into the rematch. He failed again, this time quickly, having been forced to not have massive amounts of TE coursing illegitimately through his system during the fight.

He might have good takedowns, but there's more to mma than just that.

There are always up and coming guys, as well as established rising stars to challenge the champ. Sonnen IMO would need some serious victories to get back in the running...although they made enough money, I'm sure the UFC brass would love to do another.

He was winning until he lost is an old excuse. Lots of fighters appear to be winning until they lose. Big deal, let him work his way back up.

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 1:31am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the end of the fight, you know what the call the person who was doing great until he lost? The loser. You know what they call people who make a habit of that? A choker.

I don't know why this is still something people talk about. Hell, look at what Sonnen himself had to say about it-
    “It's pass or fail when you're in [the Octagon],” Sonnen said at the post-fight press conference. “You either get it done, or you don't. I was handed a lot of compliments after the first fight, and I'm going, 'Jeez, that's nice, but did you see who won the fight? I didn't win.'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 1:41am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who is left for Silva after this?

And if Sonnen eventually got another shot, I don't think it would have the hype this one had. Not only because Sonnen lost again, but after the insane amounts of trash talking and the subsequent squashing of it after the fight, how would that get hyped up? Sonnen couldn't talk it up without looking like a tool, yet if it didn't have that it wouldn't be nearly as marketable.

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 1:53am

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I think the Sonnen/Silva well is dry as far as marketability goes. You can't sell it as a rubber match, it can't be hyped more than this one, and Silva has two clean victories, one that was near-miraculous and one that was just brutal. Not saying that there may not be a third fight someplace in the future, but it won't make nearly the money that this one did. Of course, by the time Sonnen works his way back up the ladder, Silva may have retired.

Rashad called Silva out, and that's a fight I wouldn't mind seeing if he can make the cut down to MW. Bisping/Evans rematch for a title shot, maybe?

On a different note, this article makes a decent point about the Griffin/Ortiz postfight interview nonsense- http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/...-ortiz#3532286

On the one hand, yeah, Griffin shouldn't have done what he did. On the other hand, Ortiz has been a disrespectful, self-aggrandizing asshole for 15 years and a few months of pretending to be a nice guy doesn't really make up for it. I mean, good lord, just listen to him at the postfight conference. He was right about one thing- he went out the way he's always done. Bitching, moaning, and complaining.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 7/09/2012 1:58am at .

:)

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 2:04am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Yeah, I think the Sonnen/Silva well is dry as far as marketability goes. You can't sell it as a rubber match, it can't be hyped more than this one, and Silva has two clean victories, one that was near-miraculous and one that was just brutal. Not saying that there may not be a third fight someplace in the future, but it won't make nearly the money that this one did. Of course, by the time Sonnen works his way back up the ladder, Silva may have retired.

Rashad called Silva out, and that's a fight I wouldn't mind seeing if he can make the cut down to MW. Bisping/Evans rematch for a title shot, maybe?
    Rashad would be a great fight IMO. That's a great stylistic matchup, to me. I'd love to see Bisping also, go at it with him.

I'm so sick of nasal almost-was Sonnen. Talking **** works so much better, in the long run, if you're winning. Otherwise, you may as well be Wes Simms, chasing Tim Silvia around, before getting smashed into paste when it finally happens.

TRT is bullshit IMO. Grown ass men, who are full of muscle need it medically to fight? So what? So they can have the hormonal balance of an 18 year old, or 4-6 18 year olds? How about this, if you don't have it, find a better career for you than fighting. There is a difference between needing it for your life's health and longevity, and needing it to pretend you aren't in your 30's, when it comes to top level competition.

There should be a bullshit sub-league for people who can't hack it, without juicing themselves up.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 3:14am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off I'm LMAO @ all who said Sonnen was going to win! Silva was injured the first time and still put him away. My only question is why did Sonnen get a shot at Silva over Maia. Being that both guys submitted Sonnen it would seem Maia should have gotten a rematch. Still I think he will do well at his new weightclass I figured he was going to beat Kim.

The thing is, until he fell on his ass trying a spinning back fist, he was winning, he's also the only fighter who is anywhere competitive against silva, he's walked through the rest of the division.
    Sonnen was NOT winning before the backfist and if you look at it he looked groggy from a previous exchange with Silva.

Oh and I love all the Sonnen fans who still thinks he is the better fighter. How can you lose to someone TWICE and be the better fighter!?!?!?!?!?!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 3:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    TRT is bullshit IMO. Grown ass men, who are full of muscle need it medically to fight? So what? So they can have the hormonal balance of an 18 year old, or 4-6 18 year olds? How about this, if you don't have it, find a better career for you than fighting. There is a difference between needing it for your life's health and longevity, and needing it to pretend you aren't in your 30's, when it comes to top level competition.

There should be a bullshit sub-league for people who can't hack it, without juicing themselves up.
    **** YOU!!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast