:)

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Shut up. Chael gave it his all, I wish you'd have more respect for the fighters, especially when they give us such performances.
    I have a lot of respect for fighters, but that man talks a lot of ****, for someone who's best performance was a loss, that he cheated for.

I rewatched the 1st fight, before seeing this one, and yeah, different (not juiced up) Sonnen + different (not injured) Silva meant probable slaughter IMO. That's what happened, and no one should be surprised, other than it happening in the 2nd, not the 1st.

He couldn't talk his way around the possible GOAT, and forced to compete w/o a hormonal OD, he got his ass handed, after he initially burned his energy trying it like last time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 11:42am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just goes to show you. One guy can have someone in a vulnerable position for upwards of 28 minutes and fail to finish him. One slip up and Anderson has you.

Spoiler:

I gave Rd. 1 to Sonnen, but it looked more similar to AS's fight against Dan Henderson then their first engagement. Anderson was able to ride out the damage, and even in the mount Chael looked like he was being controlled very well and did basically no damage. Whether or not it was the rib, the TRT, or a perfect storm of the two that brought him close to defeat last time. This was more vintage Anderson Silva coming in tonight.

Rd. 2 Anderson looked fresh compared to the 2nd in their last engagement. Excellent movement to avoid the world class takedowns of sonnen, and picking his shots well. And oddly enough using a single to avoid being taken down against the fence. Throwing excellent counters and (naturally) wonderful head movement. Then Chael sonnen tries for the backfist. Now, admittedly, had he landed that shot and knocked out/down Anderson with it, he'd be commended endlessly for it. I don't think it was a careless strike, or even necessarily a mistake. It looked like, to me, that Andy's foot tripped him a little as he slipped under the american's strike, expertly mind you. Then came the perfectly legal knee (I admit, I thought it was to the face until the replay. Hat's off to Anderson for being inhumanly accurate and landing that MOSTLY to the chest) that made me cringe, followed by Chael in the fetal position in half guard getting pounded on. That's a wrap.
    Last edited by Zerstörer90; 7/08/2012 11:44am at . Reason: left out details.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 12:08pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first was a typical Silva "feeler" round - the second devastation. It kinda confirms the injury story from the first for me.

The TRT is shady, but does not imbue fighting prowess. Sonnen had his way in the first one for some reason (injury to Silva IMO) and with that variable removed this time round, the result was inevitable

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 12:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju, MT, Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was easily worth the $44 I paid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 1:04pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I felt pretty bad for this guy. He looked emaciated! Why oh why is a 6 foot tall dude fighting at featherweight?

I assume that a 6-fingered man killed his father and he thought he could beat information out of Chad Mendes to lead him to the killer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 2:17pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am glad that Cung lee won his fight and can't wait to watch him fight again. The Sonnen Loss was disappointing I was hope for a longer fight.

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 3:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, do you think sonnen will have another crack at him?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 3:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    Man talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, do you think sonnen will have another crack at him?
    I think it's possible, but I think it'll take more than 2 victories this time. Also, the question is, is there someone else in the division that deserves the shot more than someone who has fallen short twice?

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 4:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    I think it's possible, but I think it'll take more than 2 victories this time. Also, the question is, is there someone else in the division that deserves the shot more than someone who has fallen short twice?
    The thing is, until he fell on his ass trying a spinning back fist, he was winning, he's also the only fighter who is anywhere competitive against silva, he's walked through the rest of the division.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    The thing is, until he fell on his ass trying a spinning back fist, he was winning, he's also the only fighter who is anywhere competitive against silva, he's walked through the rest of the division.
    Or you can look at it as until that moment Anderson had effectively neutralized his ability to deal damage a la his match with Hendo. The backfist was an unfortunate mistake, but this fight was nothing like the first one. Also if he had been winning before throwing the spinning backfist, why was he on his feet against arguably the best striker in mma? If he was winning one would argue he would have been grinding away against the fence or on top.

Now, Chael is definitely a challenge for Anderson, but the fact is that he lost twice. He was "winning" both fights before he lost them, but he still lost, both times. George Foreman was "winning" before Ali knocked him out. There are fighters who haven't fought Anderson Silva yet, who pose interesting questions.

Michael Bisping for instance, showed great conditioning in his last fight with Sonnen, some even argue that he won that fight. He's got some of the best striking defense in Mixed Martial Arts, excellent submission defense, and he's younger than Silva.

Another example would be Jacare Souza. World Class ground game and he's not afraid to strike. Mind you I think Silva's accuracy would be the end of him and his jumping spinning back kicks to the face (see the Marunde fight). However with some high level experience in the UFC (given Silva doesn't retire or something before he can attain that), I see Souza as being a serious middleweight contender.

Also Weidman and Munoz look very good lately, the winner of that fight is in the running as well. There is ALWAYS someone else to fight. Nobody cleans out a division, not even Anderson Silva. I personally think Chael Sonnen is a great gatekeeper, but similar to Tito during Chuck's reign, can't seem to beat the guy.

Also can't forget Rockhold, guy has legit skills. t3h r34l mma

Sorry for wall 0 text. I'm oddly energetic today.
    Last edited by Zerstörer90; 7/08/2012 4:32pm at . Reason: I must be losing my mind, CANT SPELL FOR SHIT
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast