Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    MasterNoob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Decent Martial Art for a Decent Noob Fighter

Good day, Bullshido Community.

I'm not sure where to post this/this is my noob introduction. So moderators, please move accordingly (if needed).

I've been a long time Lurker of the forums. I have had many laughs, and watched many topics go rather off topic... Nonetheless, this site has help me a lot, and I would like to request some more help.

A little about myself. I've never been in a real fight where another person wanted to seriously hurt me. Only play fighting, rough housing, etc. The only martial art training I had was karate when I was 9 yearsold. I believe it was Shotokan. Last year I started Ninjutsu. I was really down to earth, and practical. However, I found that I never really fit in to the group. I would like to learn an art that is very combat effective. To be completely honest, I think every martial art can defend you, you just have to stick with it. I often thought about studying many. Example: for punching, boxing. For ground fighting, jiu-jutsu. For throwing, judo. Etc, etc. One could make the logical inference that since these arts dare I say it "specialize" in a certain area, if one became proficient in all, s/he would become a very good fighter. Again, this assessment could be incorrect. As my name says, i'm a Masternoob when it comes to fighting.

I was wondering what are some martial arts that are very rounded? That offer kicks, punches, throws, everything. Or does such an art exist? I'm looking for more traditional/practical. I don't have a use for sport martial arts. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, so if anyone has a decent club to go along with their art I would love to check it out and try it and see.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by MasterNoob; 7/06/2012 11:12am at .

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. The mere fact that you didn't fit in with the Ninjers leads me to believe that you have potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

MasterNoob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahahaha. I knew someone would make a wise-crack. It was pretty legitimate. Perhaps a better name would be Bujinkan. I'm rather disgusted by all the McDojos out there, especially here in Ottawa. I assume a bigger city is worse. What do you train in?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNoob View Post
    What do you train in?
    My base styles were Shaolin Ch'uan Fa, and Kenpo (EPAK), but please don't hold that against me. I'm learning some ground stuff now, and as soon as I get it to a decent level, the better I'll feel like I've accomplished something.

I used to work out with a group of Taijutsu guys on cross-training night. They were pretty realistic about the Bujinkan; and didn't drink the Ninja Kool-Aid.

I don't have a use for sport martial arts.
    That's why I didn't mention that I also did Tae Kwon Do in my past life LOL.

Last edited by slamdunc; 7/06/2012 11:27am at .

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    MMA and Luta Livre noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bullshido.

I'm looking for more traditional/practical.
    Depending on your definitions of "traditional" and "practical", some might argue that in many places those are mutually exclusive.

I don't have a use for sport martial arts
    What are sport martial arts to you and why do you think you don't have any use for them?
    Also, define "combat".

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ninjitsu/Ninjutsu/Bujinkan is...less than effective in real life.
    And you're definitely correct, if you were proficient in multiple MAs you would certainly be a good fighter, the issue is that becoming proficient in multiple styles at once would require a very large commitment both in terms of time and money. Starting out its preferable and more realistic to choose one style as your base and become proficient in it, and once you are competent crosstrain in a complimentary style to fill in the gaps, usually a grappling style if you learned a striking style, or vice versa.

First you should decide which you enjoy more, striking or grappling. Next research what schools are accessible to you, and decide from those based on the quality of their instruction and how much that style appeals to you. Go to a lot of free intro classes, watch advanced classes, research the schools and the styles, and take your time. If there are any MMA gyms nearby those should definitely interest you, as they'll teach striking (usually based in Muay Thai) and grappling (usually based in BJJ) concurrently.

MasterNoob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for your responses.
    I enjoy striking more than grappling. So I think I would look at a good striking base (perhaps boxing?) and go from there. I define sport as anything in a ring. I've shyed away from MMA because MMA from what I researched and from the general consensus is that it's not real life applicable. This is because you can't use any death blows (obvious reasons) and there are rules. In any fight in the streets there aren't any.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for your responses.
    general consensus is that it's not real life applicable. This is because you can't use any death blows (obvious reasons) and there are rules. In any fight in the streets there aren't any.
    Everyone who told you this is silly, honestly. "Death blows" is silly ninjer nonsense, and even if it wasn't...think of the likely situations you'd be getting into a fight in real life. Now consider in how many of those situations you would want to deliver a death blow over.

Boxing is an excellent striking base, and quality gyms are relatively easy to find. If self-defense is a major concern you'll want to add a grappling art as well eventually, since boxing obviously has no ground game. But I'm friends with a few boxers who I've seen in real fights, and a solid boxer is going to tool on an untrained fighter in most cases.

MasterNoob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting point. But there may be times when you would need those death blows, no? I looked into Muay Thai and I think I found the main place to train here in Ottawa (OAMA). The downside is, it's like $120.00 a month and I'm a broke student Hahaha.

Style
    MMA and Luta Livre noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting point. But there may be times when you would need those death blows, no? I looked into Muay Thai and I think I found the main place to train here in Ottawa (OAMA). The downside is, it's like $120.00 a month and I'm a broke student Hahaha.
    What do you consider a "death blow", though? Things like finger poking the eye, punching the throat, stuff like that?

Also, if Muay Thai is too expensive in your area and you're looking for good striking, boxing might be worth a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last