Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 9:11am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    There are other non-striking arts in addition to aikido. In fact, some aikido places require hitting with every basic joint technique. What does a black belt have to do with one's ability to fight in any martial art? I am not shocked you are near a subpar aikido school...many are.
    Well, a black belt should represent an achievement in a MA that means one is good at said MA. If you see a black belt at BJJ, you know this guy is very good in BJJ, you know he had to compete in it to gain the belts, and you know that his MA skills will provide him with the ability to take down and submit not only street thugs but also other practitioners from different MA, including hard stuff like MT and boxing. Same thing with Judo and kyokushin karate. Now im not saying there aren't athletes that in 2 years time can dominate in their field whether boxing, judo or BJJ, but they are rare, and they did obtain a lot of skill, just in a short period of time. A black belt should say a lot. Do you think an Ikidoka black belt has a good chance against your average street thug?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2012 2:16pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the **** is an "average street thug?" What does "good at said MA" mean? I got jumped at a party and I reacted with movement that can be seen in an aikido class. I wasn't a black belt then. What qualifies as "hard stuff?" Anything martial technique can be done 'hard' or 'soft.' If you are indicating that some martial arts are generally more dynamic with their contact...well I can understand that. But also keep in mind that the more popular a martial art the more shitty ass dojo will pop up and provide garbage "MMA" or "MT" lessons to make a quick buck (going back to martial arts popularism). My point being you can't really judge a person solely on what they train in but how well (hard) they train, and what their training mentality is.

Oh, and a BJJ black belt can't really be compared to any Japanese martial art black belt. Its a totally different system with a different mindset as it relates to promoting. I have no authority in which to make this next comparison, but I kind of liken a BJJ black belt to a 4th dan in a traditional Japanese art.

Posted On:
    12/10/2012 7:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it's a question of it being popular, rather than why people do it, without any regret. I have been doing Aikido for 3 years now (previous background in Kendo and Kick Boxing) and I love it more day by day. I'm within the Aikikai style, but I follow a certain Shihan (I'm not going to say who) whos approach is dynamic, interactive and uke is attacking 100%. It's hard, I get a "rough landing" in reality sometimes but I love it. I know it doesn't have all the answers to all the questions, but anyone who says it's a complete art and doesn't require more research is wrong (for me). Don't be hesitant about what you are doing, but find a good reason to encourage you to keep going, without the slightest of a doubt, that's my opinion.

Posted On:
    12/10/2012 9:39pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manos View Post
    I don't think it's a question of it being popular, rather than why people do it, without any regret. I have been doing Aikido for 3 years now (previous background in Kendo and Kick Boxing) and I love it more day by day. I'm within the Aikikai style, but I follow a certain Shihan (I'm not going to say who) whos approach is dynamic, interactive and uke is attacking 100%. It's hard, I get a "rough landing" in reality sometimes but I love it. I know it doesn't have all the answers to all the questions, but anyone who says it's a complete art and doesn't require more research is wrong (for me). Don't be hesitant about what you are doing, but find a good reason to encourage you to keep going, without the slightest of a doubt, that's my opinion.
    Why would you not say who you train with? As this is the kind of aikido that most of the site users would want to to experience, I would think that you would be proud to show your training methods. Would you have any randori videos to share?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2012 11:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm within the Aikikai style, but I follow a certain Shihan (I'm not going to say who) whos approach is dynamic, interactive and uke is attacking 100%.
    ... Do you have any video evidence of this?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/11/2012 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm within the Aikikai style, but I follow a certain Shihan (I'm not going to say who) whos approach is dynamic, interactive and uke is attacking 100%. It's hard, I get a "rough landing" in reality sometimes but I love it.
    Its not much of an endorsement of aikido in general though if this guy has to do this in secret.

Posted On:
    12/11/2012 2:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The notion that something gaining or losing popularity, based on quantifiable results, assumes universally-logical decision-making on the part of humans.

Posted On:
    12/11/2012 5:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm within the Aikikai style, but I follow a certain Shihan (I'm not going to say who) whos approach is dynamic, interactive and uke is attacking 100%. It's hard, I get a "rough landing" in reality sometimes.
    Subjectivity for the win.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123