Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 3:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Don't think your worries about free speech haters is justified.
    Luckily for me, and other free speech lovers, the Supreme Court disagrees.

Maybe gov jobs and elected positions with this fraud on your resume should be grounds for dismissal.
    Wow, so now you want the legislature to interfere with popular votes.

As a plain old civilian I am offended by other plain old civilians grabbing military glory!
    And because you are offended, we should empower the government to a) criminalize fibbing and b) pull elected officials out of office.

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 3:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    You were supposed to ask him which BUDS class he attended, before you thumped him. Now, you may never know if he was legit or not. LOL
    Yeah, one of my big regrets! Oh well, what can you do. That guy probably used the scars (something like 100 stitches across his face) to further support his Seal experiences.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 3:42pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does this freedom of speech cut both ways then?

"Johnny Big Wheel is a paedophile....he isn't really but, hey, I am just exercising my right to free speech"

Now obviously there is a victim in this instance, and it is hyperbolic, but when you lie for GAIN (either intentionally or by association with the lie "you are a vet? have a free beer") then abso-fucking-lutley should legislation kick in and you should get toasted alive

If you lie about military service you are a worthless cocksucker.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did this stolen valour act apply to people who were actually in the military but who stretch things a little bit to impress their old school friends and get laid ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 3:52pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I cannot help to wonder, and will research it later, but have any of our esteemed Justices ever served in the military. Even a Reservist or National Guardsman among them would make me feel better, or in this case, worse.

No.
    http://www.supremecourt.gov/about/biographies.aspx

The most recent one was a Navy vet who retired in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Did this stolen valour act apply to people who were actually in the military but who stretch things a little bit to impress their old school friends and get laid ?
    It could, technically.

I didn't realize they did this today. That's truly unfortunate. To be honest, though, all that would have to happen is that the awards could be made something like a professional protected title. It's not free speech to say that you're a (medical) doctor, a psychologist or a police officer when you're not.

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 4:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    It's not free speech to say that you're a (medical) doctor, a psychologist or a police officer when you're not.
    But it was already against the law to impersonate a member of the military in order to falsely exercise military authority, access military facilities etc.. It was already against the law to collect money under false pretences.

But it's not against the law to tell a random person in a bar that you're a shrink. Why should it be against the law to tell them you were in the air force?

Yes, people who do that are liars. But I'm sure we can both think of a long list of commonly told lies that are not criminal offences.

What you're asking for is something more akin to a law against burning the stars and stripes. More akin to asking for a way to legally enforce a respectful attitude towards a governmental institution.

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 4:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But it was already against the law to impersonate a member of the military in order to falsely exercise military authority, access military facilities etc.. It was already against the law to collect money under false pretences.

But it's not against the law to tell a random person in a bar that you're a shrink. Why should it be against the law to tell them you were in the air force?

Yes, people who do that are liars. But I'm sure we can both think of a long list of commonly told lies that are not criminal offences.

What you're asking for is something more akin to a law against burning the stars and stripes. More akin to asking for a way to legally enforce a respectful attitude towards a governmental institution.
    I'm on an android device, so things are a little difficult to format, but this will be simple.

I'm not asking for Joe Bag of Donuts to go to prison for telling someone else's war story.
    However, there are plenty of people who build entire careers on their bullshit military acheivements. Those people should face prison time.

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 4:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm on an android device, so things are a little difficult to format, but this will be simple.

I'm not asking for Joe Bag of Donuts to go to prison for telling someone else's war story.
    However, there are plenty of people who build entire careers on their bullshit military acheivements. Those people should face prison time.
    Should people face prison time for lying about which college they attended, or their grades ?

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 4:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should people face prison time for lying about which college they attended, or their grades ?
    Is it fraud?

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 4:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it fraud?
    Only to the same degree that lying about a military career is. That being the case, why do you think you'd need a new law?

I <3 Sirc.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast