Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 7:59pm

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    I didn't know that there were two Dempseys running around out there. If you see posters of Le Blanche it seemed like he was really banking on "THE MAN WHO BEAT DEMPSEY", without specifying which. Pretty sneaky. Also had no idea about the neutral corner rule either, since some semblance of it existed under the LPR rules of walking to the scratch and all that.
    The "Nonpareil" Dempsey predated the Manassa Mauler, so it was probably appropriate at the time for La Blanche to say he was "the man who beat Dempsey." I am pretty sure La Blanche died before Jack "Manassa Mauler" Dempsey hit the height of his fame. And Nonpareil was pretty famous in his own right until Fitzsimmons clobbered him.

If I'm not mistaken it was pretty routine back in the day to take the name of a past boxing great for yourself.

Posted On:
    7/03/2012 2:22pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Doc Kearns........the don king of his day. Didn't he also bankrupt a large town by promoting a fight there?
    Yes, he did. Shelby, Montana. Jack Dempsey defended against Tommy Gibbons.

Kearns was so canny, he hired a train to get him out. There's a book about (I've got it somewhere). He got his nickname from Dempsey. When Kearns used to lay out the promotion etc etc, Dempsey would say "You're the Doctor" and it stuck, as "Doc".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2012 6:36pm

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Added to my reading list. Eddie, it's a pleasure having another old-timey boxing enthusiast here on the site.

On an unrelated note, I really wish there was a good bio of Jim Jeffries, Gentleman Jim, John L, or Bob Fitzsimmons available on kindle.

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 2:08pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're welcome, Sir.

I don't remember reading biographies on any of them, although I've read much of them through The Ring mag dating from the 1950s (I used to have the entire series...what a piece of luck).

Gentleman Jim did produce his manual "Scientific Boxing" which the very kind Kirk Lawson scanned and put on lulu.com as a Free Download. He's a Gent. Use the Search feature here on Bully and it should come up. :-)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12