Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 7:03pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think when taking about the "Stopping Power" Of a sword we have to think about which sword...lol As said above but I would just like to have a little break down. They will be graded
    minimal
    mild
    great
    Gladius, wide thick and sharp point minimal slashing, I'd say minimal stopping power in that it's so small.
    Broad sword EUR/ASN wide, heay and kind've sharp, mostly it's the weight providing the cut, most are about 28-30 inches and EUR weight about a 2 pounds, mild due to size and weight.
    bastard sword Katana, many EUR Swords, and some CHN, Long and tapering good for cutting and thrusting one handed or two, a fine "jack of all trades" sword not the best at one but decent at all, it can thrust slash chop blend? no blending... Mild, length and versatility.
    Dueling sword, Rapier, small sword, any light urban defence sword, Light quick needle sharp and handle heavy for greater control, uswually paired, minimal cutting but awesome thrusting great control and quick use, favored personal side arm. minimal because I see stopping power as being able to stop the opponent before he is able close i.e. drop him with out a head.
    Saber, execllent cutting used with one hand and able to thrust but better suited for slashing favored by cavlery, mild, decent weight and speed and length usually 28-30 inches.
    And Finally to make it short.
    Long Sword, great sword included. Long and tapered like a longer bastard sword, favored by foot soliders, usually used with two hands but some one handed use is possible, sharpness depends on sword but usually minimal due to blade to hand contact. Great due to length and weight usually 1-2 pounds 30-50 over all length some over 60.
    Okay this is very broad and not very deep but just my opinion I have used and collected swords of all manner for 11 years, some training in muso jikiden eishin ryu
    Last edited by Tameshiwhaty?; 6/28/2012 7:15pm at . Reason: typo my still be some....

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 11:38pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like most weapons, swords could of course be unreliable. Consider: http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/bloody.php

Part of the art of fencing is to strike a blow and recover safely, even if your blow landed.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:19am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tameshiwhaty? View Post
    I think when taking about the "Stopping Power" Of a sword we have to think about which sword...lol As said above but I would just like to have a little break down. They will be graded
    minimal
    mild
    great
    I think this is WAY too simplified. Bladed weapons, particular swords, do three different kinds of damage (cut/slash, impale, bludgeon) and, as I pointed out, there are four different methods of incapacitating an opponent. Each blade will have different strengths or weaknesses in each area. For instance (below):

Gladius, wide thick and sharp point minimal slashing, I'd say minimal stopping power in that it's so small.
    The Gladius is extremely broad bladed and needle pointed. It will penetrate armour, skin, muscle, and bone. It is almost ideally suited for thrusting into vital torso organs and leaving a MASSIVE wound channel from which to bleed out extremely fast. I'd rather get stabbed in the chest with a Sword-Cane than with a Gladius.

The rest of your examples have similar discrepancies.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 12:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question is not the stopping power of the blade, but the THACO of the target.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 12:44pm

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    The question is not the stopping power of the blade, but the THACO of the target.
    THAC0. Also is it Vorpal?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gladius: Apply Directly to the Forehead

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 1:35pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Kirk Lawson's post pretty much covered it. So yes, swords and big knives do have stopping power. Anything that can remove limbs and make massive gaping wounds in the body tends to have that effect on human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tameshiwhaty? View Post
    Yeah that's why the Romans had such a huge problem defeating the Celts with their long swords and never succeeded in their campaigns against them.

Wait a minute...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 1:55pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I said it's broad and simple just my opion but the Romans didn't rely on the gladius, like all good armies their main focus was the spear, now I admit yes my reasoning is very simple and more then likely not the whole story but when I think of "stopping power" I think of range, ya know how far away is the opponent, I appreciate your criticism and agree my points were very broad and over simplified. With the gladius one key thing to remember is that it was rarely a lone weapon and usually used with a shield giving it an edge, the Celts screwed up on many levels no armor, most were "weekend Warriors" in a way and the Romans were a professional army with fine armor and great training.
    Last edited by Tameshiwhaty?; 6/29/2012 1:58pm at .

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 3:43pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    THAC0. Also is it Vorpal?
    It's always vorpal.

Posted On: