HightowerAFK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking to expand my martial arts network

I'm new to this site and some what new to martial arts. I've been in an American Freestyle Karate class for about a year and a half now, the school I go to is really small and there's no one my age in the class so I though maybe I could join up here and expand my network of people that might be able to give me advice and such.

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

HightowerAFK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've probably come to the right place.

What can you tell us about American Freestyle Karate as a style? Could you say whether it's similar to any traditional style? Do you study kata?

How are your classes organised? Do you train with weapons? Do you spar? If so, what level of contact is you sparring? Vids would be great of you have any.

Welcome to Bullshido.

HightowerAFK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    American Freestyle, the way my school teaches it, is a compilation of many other styles. We do spar in the traditional sense but its rare most of our "sparring" is done more as a self defense setting, such as someone attacking from behind or swinging a wild punch. A bit more like what you would see in the street but we do on the rare occasion put on the gear and just spar for fun which is generally no contact to light contact at lower ranks and the contact gets heavier as you progress through the ranks, which sadly we don't do nearly as much as I'd like. Once you get your green belt, the point at which you know all the basics and have a good understanding and execution of them, then you can begin training in weapons if you want. In addition to the traditional Shotokan style punches and kicks we also do some of the taekwondo flying and spinning kicks, at more advanced belts. We also incorporate judo throws and jiujitsu chokes and join manipulation.