Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 6:26am

Style: Kickboxing/BJJ/Wimp

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    I'm late to this thread but congratulations on making the cut in the first place. I'm going back now to read your back post to see your progress up until here. I plan on checking out those training videos as well. Good luck man! This is a dream opportunity, Leave it all on the mat!
    Cheers, I plan to!

Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    I would gladly pay to watch the whole damn show, any chance?
    Production seems to be getting underway now - we're filming again at least! I won't promise anything, but I'll inform as soon as it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Is it just me, or is having a former pro rugby player in the ranks slightly contradictory to the "Wimp" part of the title?
    Not only that, but I found out he was an ex (winter) Olympian - Australian bob-sled team or some such.

I have a bit of a cool story as well.

Monday morning our coach told us he had a surprise for us - we all shuffled in, started our warm ups. Whilst I was pummeling with one of the other contestants, I noticed someone quickly moving into the change rooms - I had to do a double check to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

It was Mark Hunt. And we got to train with him.

It was pretty damn awesome. He's your average bloke who likes a chuckle, and loves his food, but also happens to be one of the scariest strikers on the planet. I had a good chat with him. He's something like 5'10/11", and I asked him how much he weighed. He's 132 kilos now (291 pounds) four weeks out from his fight with Stefan Struve. That's a solid lump of man right there. He weighs about 14 kilos more than me, and he's 8 inches shorter. That's cray-cray.

More of an update soon, just thought I'd gush. Oh, and we'll be training with Peter Graham next week (ex K-1 fighter, beat Alexander Emelianenko twice recently).

Here's a picture of the crew with Mark.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Markhunt.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	14449

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 7:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maaaarrkeeeeh Huuunnttuuu!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2013 4:59am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just stumbled across this thread now. Good luck with everything, and I hope you take the win. With all thw work you've put in though, I'd be proud of myself either way. Nice one!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2013 3:24am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Name:	548865_527331497319525_931335659_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	14695

http://www.wimp2warrior.com/

Wow, it has been a while. Massive update folks.

My fight is less than a week away, and the series will be shown online, with a new episode going up each Sunday as of the 21st of April (20th of April for those of you living a few time-zones over), free to watch for everyone worldwide! The link above will get you to the website.

It's been a bit of a ragged - but wholly worthwhile - experience. I'm weighing in at about 116 kilos these days (I was hovering around 114 about a week ago after suffering from some particularly bad gastro), and I'm super keen to get this fight on. The total amount of weight lost is now 22 kilos. After this fight, I'm pretty sure I'll be dropping to Light Heavyweight - I've probably got another good 10-15 kilos of fat-weight hanging on, so I think that would be the right weight class for me.

How am I rating my chances now? I believe I can win - and of course, this should be the state of mind you have when you go into a fight. I do realise however (ever being the realist) that this will be a tough fight - this guy is a powerhouse, a tough ex-pro rugby player. If the fat nerd who has never been athletic at all in his life before manages to win, it will be a sweet victory indeed! If I lose, well, I lost to a tough opponent, and I believe I have the potential to do well in MMA after.

The rules have changed a bit as well. It is now a Semi-Pro event (all fights), which means no blemish on anyone's future pro record, and shorter rounds (3 minute as opposed to 5 minute), and a lack of elbows and knees to the face (trying to keep it a bloodless as possible is my guess).

Pretty exciting stuff! I'll let you guys know how I go as soon as possible after the fight (assuming I'm not unconscious or somesuch!).

Posted On:
    4/20/2013 4:48pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it's April 21 already, what time does it launch? Hope your fight went well last night!
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    4/20/2013 6:59pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah chookas on your fight greathight
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 6:18pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    S01E01:
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2013 6:38pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Name:	904812_10151540188273695_129102905_o.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	14725

http://www.wimp2warrior.com/

Hey folks! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but there were some issue logging on to the forums yesterday.

It's all over and done with now! We had our finale on Saturday night (Australia time) and unfortunately, my first foray into MMA competitively was a loss - via TKO in the first round. Despite the loss, I was pretty happy with my performance, and the overall experience of the night (not to mention the 7 months of training before hand) was fucking AWESOME. I definitely love to do it again (and on a professional level instead of sem-pro, which is what this event was), but not before spending a good 12-18 more months of training. It was quite clear from watching the video of my performance on Saturday that 7 months just isn't enough to get a fat, lazy, Warhammer playing nerd ready to face a guy who has been an athlete all his life, used to play Rugby professionally and hits like a freight train!

The link above holds the VERY FIRST episode of the series, and a new episode will be up every Sunday (Australia Time). The finale showing my fight won't be up for about 2 months then, but luckily a mate of mine took video of my fight, so you Bullshido-ers get first dibs on seeing it! Think link below should work, but if not I'll look to getting a working copy to you guys ASAP.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...omment_mention

I'm the tall white guy that comes out first to "Rocky Road to Dublin". I did better than I expected! Things to take away;
    • Push more. There were a couple times I had backed against the cage and I let him go.
    • Keep my fucking hands up.
    • Engage a clinch more. If I got him on the ground, I would have had a big advantage.
    • Check kicks, even if you shins are sore (I had swollen sore shins from some nasty shin clashes from weeks back that hadn't gone away, so I hadn't been checking kicks for ages). My leg was that fucked after he smashed it I couldn't push off of it to punch properly.
    • Don't throw shitty kicks. A couple of my kicks weren't set up, and had nothing behind them due to their sloppy execution. As I threw them, I was thinking to myself "The ****? I can kick harder than this!"

Also, don't get hit... But other than that, I think I did ok. My jab was going alright, my footwork was no-where near as **** as when I first started, got some okay head-movement, kept range well for while there - still a long way to go, but the building blocks are there! And I had a blast - when I had gotten up from the canvas, I couldn't help but smile, and if they show the post-fight interview at the finale, you'll see I was ok and pretty stoked about the whole experience.

Feel free to post some feedback concerning the fight. I've obviously got a lot to improve on, and I plan on getting down to light-heavy for my next fight. And if you have any questions

Please PLEASE watch the Wimp 2 Warrior series and help it become successful. Share that **** around too! And, if you live in Australia (or are willing to travel) even apply for the next season!

Cheers guys!

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 12:17am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw the fight you did fine.

If you are ever in airlie beach pop up.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 2:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Saw the fight you did fine.

If you are ever in airlie beach pop up.
    Cheers! I don't honestly know if I'll ever be that far up north, but if I am I'll definitely drop by.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast