Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 12:46am

Style: Kickboxing/BJJ/Wimp

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexe View Post
    Francis Cullimore - ex-League player (Warriors) and Rugby Sevens for NZ, and a bit of Super 12. That's an earnest opponent man, simply the conditioning he's received from other big units mashing him on a paddock over the years will make for a tough match. Mind you - he has no sideburns.
    Yup, that and his physical strength are easily his biggest assets. The lack of sideburns is promising, and I will be sporting a mighty Viking beard for the bout.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexe View Post
    I wish you well and will be barracking for you. Reach and weight will help. But I reckon if you sneak in a Tri-Colour mouthguard and lay on a Joker grin before the for the bout you may just rattle him.
    Baha, I'll try to remember that! Cheers for the support.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 12:47am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by greatheight View Post

Yes and yes. Out of the four heavyweights (not to take anything away from the others) I think he's the most challenging match-up. But, I'm a good 7 or so inches taller than he is, about 16 kilos (35 pounds) heavier currently (though he is sure to be bulking up over the next 3 months, and I'll probably be closer to 110 kilos), and with a much longer reach, I've got some advantages of my own. I think I'm currently ahead of him in the grappling game as well.

I reckon I've got to work hard over the next 12 weeks, but it's completely do-able. Overall I'm pretty excited!
    How easy it is to take down a rugby guy? You'd think that's one aspect where they shine. Of course if you have developed outboxing skills that might be your game too :)

Good luck with your training, keep us posted :)
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 12:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    How easy it is to take down a rugby guy? You'd think that's one aspect where they shine. Of course if you have developed outboxing skills that might be your game too :)
    Taking him down in the clinch I'm capable of - the dangerous thing with him would be as soon as he gets a hold of my legs, I've got to sprawl or I'm going for a big trip to the canvas. Once we are on the ground, I'll do ok - I've managed to reverse him and keep control pretty well in our last roll before the break. I'm sure he'll work on that aspect too though.

Outboxing and getting mount/side control are going to be priorities for sure. I think that my boxing skills are ok, but they are something I'll work on over the next three months. I need more sparing!

Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    Good luck with your training, keep us posted :)
    Thanks man!

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 2:38am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by greatheight View Post
    Taking him down in the clinch I'm capable of - the dangerous thing with him would be as soon as he gets a hold of my legs, I've got to sprawl or I'm going for a big trip to the canvas. Once we are on the ground, I'll do ok - I've managed to reverse him and keep control pretty well in our last roll before the break. I'm sure he'll work on that aspect too though.

Outboxing and getting mount/side control are going to be priorities for sure. I think that my boxing skills are ok, but they are something I'll work on over the next three months. I need more sparing!

Thanks man!
    Also bear in mind that all those years of tackling rugby style means he'll have a natural inclination to put his head into prime guillotine real estate when going for a take down or scrambling. More so when he's tired.

Good luck!
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 12:49am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Also bear in mind that all those years of tackling rugby style means he'll have a natural inclination to put his head into prime guillotine real estate when going for a take down or scrambling. More so when he's tired.

Good luck!
    Could be the case - I'll need to work on my guillotine, I've always had trouble sinking it in.

An update for you all, the Christmas break didn't have too negative affect on me - Although I came back from my mum's place at about 122kgs, I've managed to drop back down to a comfortable 118 kilos, which is awesome (I was 116 after three days of training with Danno and the boys at Southern Fitness this past week, but I don't think I re-hydrated properly).

W2W training is back on as of tomorrow morning here in Oz Land. Our head coach sent out the training schedule for the next two weeks, and I'll be doing four morning sessions (6am start) and one evening session (7:30pm start) a week. I'll be able to supplement this with training at SPMA and possibly down at Nowra occasionally.

The contestants have also been split into two groups - Team Blue (which I am part of) and Team Red. Each group will have it's own sparring sessions, to keep competitors separate.

I'll undoubtedly have more info by the end of the week (plus a new vid blog).

Cheers guys!
    Last edited by greatheight; 1/06/2013 12:56am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 2:17am

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm late to this thread but congratulations on making the cut in the first place. I'm going back now to read your back post to see your progress up until here. I plan on checking out those training videos as well. Good luck man! This is a dream opportunity, Leave it all on the mat!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 3:20am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would gladly pay to watch the whole damn show, any chance?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 10:45am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it just me, or is having a former pro rugby player in the ranks slightly contradictory to the "Wimp" part of the title?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 6:26am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    I'm late to this thread but congratulations on making the cut in the first place. I'm going back now to read your back post to see your progress up until here. I plan on checking out those training videos as well. Good luck man! This is a dream opportunity, Leave it all on the mat!
    Cheers, I plan to!

Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    I would gladly pay to watch the whole damn show, any chance?
    Production seems to be getting underway now - we're filming again at least! I won't promise anything, but I'll inform as soon as it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Is it just me, or is having a former pro rugby player in the ranks slightly contradictory to the "Wimp" part of the title?
    Not only that, but I found out he was an ex (winter) Olympian - Australian bob-sled team or some such.

I have a bit of a cool story as well.

Monday morning our coach told us he had a surprise for us - we all shuffled in, started our warm ups. Whilst I was pummeling with one of the other contestants, I noticed someone quickly moving into the change rooms - I had to do a double check to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

It was Mark Hunt. And we got to train with him.

It was pretty damn awesome. He's your average bloke who likes a chuckle, and loves his food, but also happens to be one of the scariest strikers on the planet. I had a good chat with him. He's something like 5'10/11", and I asked him how much he weighed. He's 132 kilos now (291 pounds) four weeks out from his fight with Stefan Struve. That's a solid lump of man right there. He weighs about 14 kilos more than me, and he's 8 inches shorter. That's cray-cray.

More of an update soon, just thought I'd gush. Oh, and we'll be training with Peter Graham next week (ex K-1 fighter, beat Alexander Emelianenko twice recently).

Here's a picture of the crew with Mark.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Markhunt.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	14449

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 7:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!