Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 3:31am

Style: Daido Juku - Kudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Body weight workouts are the best for cardio and core strengthening. I incorporate chin ups into every workout. I usually just do multiple sets of five. If you go to a gym they have chin up machines that you can use to hold some of your weight while you do them if you want to go for more reps. The only way to get better at them is to just do them. If you want more core training workouts incorporate those body balls into workouts. I.e. - put your feet on it and do pushups on a balance board or two medicine balls. I like those! Also, there are half body balls that are flat on one side, great for squats (start with bracing yourself until you don't need the support to balance on it) Do v sits on the ball side of it and just hold them for one minute at a time. Mix it up by picking up a dumbell and placing it on your opposite side over and over again. All body weight workouts will help with jiu jitsu as well. I love them.

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 5:29am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what is the difference between a chin up and a pull up?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 5:51am

Style: Daido Juku - Kudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The grip. Forward grip=chin up reverse grip=pull up. They are essentially the same, chin ups work more lats and back, pull ups involve more bicep.

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 5:58am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaidoJukuJoe View Post
    The grip. Forward grip=chin up reverse grip=pull up. They are essentially the same, chin ups work more lats and back, pull ups involve more bicep.
    Thenx, i would also do wide grip and narrow. Also, if you are with your dogs, tie the leash to the bar, and now that it is like a rope you can do endless exercises.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Thank'ee. Do you know who the publisher is? There are four or five apps along those lines in the Android store.
    On the iPhone the publisher is Software X, I believe. On the android, I don't see who the publisher is, it is listed as "Pull Ups". Version 2.0.2. It has a red square with a white image doing a pullup in the middle of the red square.

The Android one lets you do a maintenance phase after you have reached your goal, or change your goal. The iPhone version doesn't let you do that. So I liked the droid version better.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  6. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 8:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do pyramid pull-up sets 1,2,3,4,5,6,6,5,4,3,2,1. Once this becomes easy increase the ending number 6,7,8,9,10; by this point you should be able to do at least 15 in a row, from that point you can start training max sets until you reach 20. This is standard training during indoctrination of most special forces schools. Do this pyramid every other day and you should build up nicely.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2012 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eloneamigo View Post
    Do pyramid pull-up sets 1,2,3,4,5,6,6,5,4,3,2,1. Once this becomes easy increase the ending number 6,7,8,9,10; by this point you should be able to do at least 15 in a row, from that point you can start training max sets until you reach 20. This is standard training during indoctrination of most special forces schools. Do this pyramid every other day and you should build up nicely.
    I do pyramid's a lot. They are a good way to mix up the routine. However, it is an intense workout, and every other day is probably too frequent. I don't like doing that as the only work out either.

But usually you go up the pyramid until you can't do any more reps. Then go back down the pyramid. You usually want about a 15 secound rest inbetween sets otherwise you are just doing a bunch of reps. You can superset the pyramid with something else also. Like one pull up and one squat, then two pull ups and two squats....
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  8. Strygwyr

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 9:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there,

Try doing negative pull ups. I am pretty bad at pull ups too, I can do about 2 sets of 5 (barely). Today I just started doing negative pull ups after the initial 2 sets. I hold the top position for 10 seconds and slowly lower myself down. I've read that this is what gymnasts do to improve pull up numbers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 12:24am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A year ago I could only do 2 or 3. Now I burn out at about twenty.

The difference? I bought a pull-up bar. 3 is a perfectly acceptable start, as long as you're doing them every day, preferably multiple times a day. But how many times a day are you headed down to the dog park? Now how many times a day are you going to walk through your nearest door? If you were busting out 3 every time you walked through that sucker, your arms and back would be sexy as hell in no time.
  10. John222

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 4:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chin ups really need strong arm muscles, so you need high protein foods for few days along with some cardio exercise. For strengthen your arm muscles lift up light dumbbells 4kg and practice with them for few days. I hope you will be better at chin ups.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast