Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 5:01pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll at the very least learn the basics of kicking. However, Olympic style TKD (aka WTF TKD) is definitely not a good example of effectively using those kicks. The kicks you would learn from them would work in a WTF sparring match and other TKD matches, but will only be good for little surprises in any other match because the opponents might not be used to encountering them. An ITF school might be a little better because you'll use your hands more, but the downside there would be a point-sparring system. If you really want to learn the basics, then by all means, go ahead and try the WTF school. Just don't spar like them, or most of them at least. To see what I mean watch this guy and compare him to most other WTF styled TKD practitioners. He's a mix of TKD and kickboxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 1:12pm

Style: Boxing and Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    What does real Muay Thai/ a legit MT school mean (in your eyes, obviously)?
    All I can find is MMA striking classes that call themselves Muay Thai. No actual Muay Thai instructor. The only place I found in my city that even comes close is:

www.americanrevolutionmma.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Don't know what level you are at with wrestling and boxing, but if you are reasonably competent with both you have a strong base to start mma training. They will add the tools you are missing: kicks, submissions. Depends of course on availability.
    I've considered that and may do it, but I would prefer to add Muay Thai and No-Gi Jiujitsu for a while then go to an MMA school to put all the pieces together. There is an awesome grace-barra blackbelt in town, Leo Cantu. His school is bjj only. I feel its better to wrestle, train at a boxing gym, train at a Muay Thai gym, train at a bjj school and then go to an MMA school to put it all together. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always assumed it was better to train an art at a dedicated school then put it all together.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those who suggested karate, I could not find one that that didn't seem like a belt factory and mcdojo. But there is a dutch style kicking school that produces Thai Boxers. Though only one or two have a winning record. Here it is:

www.americanrevolutionmma.com

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 1:31pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, Texas has a very good MMA, BJJ and Muay Thai scene. I'm now curious as to what makes you think these schools don't have a real Muay Thai instructor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Okay, Texas has a very good MMA, BJJ and Muay Thai scene. I'm now curious as to what makes you think these schools don't have a real Muay Thai instructor.
    Because I've visited the schools here in Corpus. None of them have a Muay Thai instructor teaching the classes. It's usually the MMA fighter who teaches the class.

The school I linked a few posts above does have instructors who have Muay Thai fighting experience, but they have losing records and they call it dutch Muay Thai. The head instructor, Freddie, learned the style they teach from champion kickboxer and two time UFC champion Maurice Smith, but has no fighting experience of his own.
    Last edited by jjc; 6/26/2012 1:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 1:57pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc View Post
    Because I've visited the schools here in Corpus. None of them have a Muay Thai instructor teaching the classes. It's usually the MMA fighter who teaches the class.

The school I linked a few posts above does have instructors who have Muay Thai fighting experience, but they have losing records and they call it dutch Muay Thai. The head instructor, Freddie, learned the style they teach from champion kickboxer and two time UFC champion Maurice Smith, but has no fighting experience of his own.
    I don't know, dude. That website you linked, well. As far as I know, Dutch thai boxers have been quite successful (in K1, for example). Dutch Muay Thai usually means that boxing is a little more important than in "traditional" Muay Thai.

Yes, some of their fighters have losing records, but others have winning records, as well, and since their losing records are often only 0-1 I imagine that's not too bad. I'd guess that losing your very first fight is quite easy. At least they compete.

In my opinion, if you wish to go in the MT direction, try out that school.

Also, I apologize if this posts reads like incoherent rambling on account of a severe lack of sleep.
    Last edited by Azatdawn; 6/26/2012 2:07pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 2:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc View Post
    Is the fighter experienced? Does he explain his background?
    Ahhhhh well a guy trained by a 2 time champ, beats an average TKD school or a MCDojo any day of the week IMO.

Your criteria sounds a little strange, but YOU have to enjoy the school not me.Those who can do, those who can't teach.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I'd rather train in mediocre Dutch muay thai than good Olympic TKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 5:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Is the fighter experienced? Does he explain his background?
    Ahhhhh well a guy trained by a 2 time champ, beats an average TKD school or a MCDojo any day of the week IMO.

Your criteria sounds a little strange, but YOU have to enjoy the school not me.Those who can do, those who can't teach.
    They are obviously the best non-boxing striking school Corpus Christi. I just don't want to learn bad habits, that's all. Five years back I got to train with a professional Thai Boxer. It was great but he only stayed in town for a month. Every since then, I've been looking hard for Muay Thai.

As for the MMA fighters who teach "Muay Thai", no they have no Thai Boxing experience. Around here, every MMA gym claims to teach Muay Thai but in reality its just general MMA striking. You know like those MMA gyms that advertise wrestling and judo but in reality they just throw in some judo and wrestling takedowns in their bjj curriculum. No dedicated wrestling class where you drill takedowns, throws and positioning. I went to a free class once where the bjj instructor, who was a purple at the time, said he's going to teach us some greco-roman wrestling. Did he have experience in wrestling? Nope. I asked if he knew any martial arts other than bjj and he said no.
    Last edited by jjc; 6/26/2012 5:28pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast