Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 1:40am

Style: Boxing and Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Will TKD add anything valuable to my arsenal?

I'm a wrestler (free/folk and greco-roman) and I train in boxing. I am looking to add an art that will expand my striking knowledge. I want so badly to train real muay thai, but there are no legit schools in my city. I did find a legit olympic style taekwondo school, and I am considering joining to gain knowledge of kicking.

Your opinion?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 1:47am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc View Post
    I'm a wrestler (free/folk and greco-roman) and I train in boxing. I am looking to add an art that will expand my striking knowledge. I want so badly to train real muay thai, but there are no legit schools in my city. I did find a legit olympic style taekwondo school, and I am considering joining to gain knowledge of kicking.

Your opinion?
    From what I have sen something a lot of guys get out of TKD Speed a good watch them fight in London I swear some of them float, they're very quick and like to throw a lot of kick combos. In terms of hands they don't focus on it but of course my experience with TKD is seeing it on the national stage, Olympics, and my nephew.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 2:10am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tae Kwon Do should improve your kicks. Whether you get anything out of it or not will be based on your school. If I were you I'd try to find a good dojang that spars often, and not just for points. They will probably appreciate your wrestling and boxing as it will give them a chance to try something new. Although as boxer it might be a little rough not striking for the face when you first start out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 9:48am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA n÷÷b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc View Post

Your opinion?
    What does real Muay Thai/ a legit MT school mean (in your eyes, obviously)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 1:38pm

Style: TKD, Boxing, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone whos trained pretty extensively in the art, it really depends on what type of school you go to. Mine had a pretty even balance between hands and feet, while others may focus solely on feet. Some like mine had sparring every day, while others may focus a lot more on generate technique and power. However, if you wanna improve on your ability to fight, I wouldn't really recommend Olympic style.

But regardless of which style you train in, TKD will give you speed and footwork, balance, flexibility, and some powerful kicks that you can throw from anywhere ( whereas most people have to attack from their back leg, TKD can teach you to exhibit the same amount of power with your front leg kick for example ). Contrary to popular belief, if you are in a non competition school, it also trains your hands in a similar fashion that karate does ( TKD spawned from karate ). So you will learn more moves to add to your arsenal, such as elbows, hammer fists, backfists, etc. as well as Knees and maybe some sweeps ( some TKD schools teach sweeps )

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 2:44pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know what level you are at with wrestling and boxing, but if you are reasonably competent with both you have a strong base to start mma training. They will add the tools you are missing: kicks, submissions. Depends of course on availability.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 2:47pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do MT now but used to do TKD back in the day. It has made it hard for me to get used to throwing a Thai Kick and it makes it tough for me to keep a more square stance. The benefits though: 1) I've kept some flexibility 2) I have a strong pushkick 3) I'm like the best person in my gym at the spinning back-kick. My back quick is pretty sweet, and thats all thanks to TKD!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 8:57pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since there are no "legit" MT schools in your area, do you have any Kyokushin, Ashihara or Enshin schools around your town? These would serve you much better. I just had an WTF/Olympic TKD school open up in my town and they produce less than quality students(they have 2 other schools in their chain). I don't feel you will get as much from it as you could from a different style. I guess you may get to spend a bunch of money and get locked into a contract, but that is TYPICALLY all you will get. JMHO.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 10:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    What does real Muay Thai/ a legit MT school mean (in your eyes, obviously)?
    Seconded.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 8:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short Answer: NO!
    Long Answer: You will learn some bad habits (side stance) in posture that will take "forever" to get rid off.

Look for these type of schools:
    - Knockdown Karate: Kyokushin, Ashihara, Seidokaikan, Enshin and Shidokan
    - kickboxing: Japanese, International ruleset, American
    - Shootboxing, SanDa/SanShou, DRAKA Kickboxing
    - Full-Contact
    - La Boxe Franšaise-Savate
    - STX Kickboxing (Savate-Thai Crossover Kickboxing)
    - Daido Juku, ARB (Russian army hand 2 hand fighting).
    - Muay Thai, Dutch-style Muay Thai, Khun Khemer, pradal Serey, Yaw Yan.

Hopefully there's at least one school in your area that practise one of the above styles.
    Last edited by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs; 6/25/2012 8:36am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast