Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2012 12:03pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Referee

I was asked to learn to ref and help instruct beginners, and to help make new members welcomed.

I love this! I like nothing more than to help someone else learn and succeed. I like nothing more than to make people feel welcomed. I like nothing more than see beginners progress. It feels good to help people, and it feels good to explain techniques broken down, and not overwhelm people. It feels good to try to make Judo fun for everyone.

All this as it is, I'm still a little concerned. I want to compete. I competed once, and was obliterated. The sadest part was, I should've won. As my first competition, I had hardly any clue even to which belt to wear and when. Point plank, regardless, I lost.

I talked to Sensei about competing, and it was one of those hairy eyball moments."You have to work, what happens if you lose the use of your arm?" I was discouraged by another club member whith him talking about all the strong bad asses I'll have to face.

I want to compete for fun,,,,, Sensei said, "no one here competes for fun." I'm curious,,, why not? Isn't fighting fun? Isn't testing what you learn against someone else fun? Isn't Randori fun? Isn't Shiai fun?

So, with High complement in being trusted with beginners, and learning correct techique, and helping people rise to the top, I'm honored and humbled. I want to be where I'm needed and most productive.

I can't help but wonder why I shouldn't compete. My years are short, I have bad arthritis, and chronic bronchitis, and my wife has MS. My days of fighting are limited. I've wasted so much of my life previously, and my window is small.

I plan to be involved in Judo for the rest of my life. I can't help but wonder why I'm discouraged from competing.

This is rambling I'm sure, but, I want to fight, and I'm depressed that I'm discouraged from it. Any thoughts or wisdom from more seasoned Judoka?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/22/2012 12:37pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Refereeing is the worst job ever....

On that note I fought for 14 years and stopped because I didn't find the fun in it anymore. Tell you sensei he's full of **** and give him my contact information if he wants to cuss me out.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/22/2012 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't it unusual for judo instructors to discourage competition, particularly judo competition? I wonder if he's seen anyone lose the use of their arm from doing judo.

Posted On:
    6/23/2012 12:46am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be blunt, how old/out of shape are you? At least locally there isn't much chance for masters' comps, and if you compete in seniors you're up against the younguns who are thinking Olympics and you could get hurt. I'm over 50 now and still like to fight but I won't fight senior anymore. Even masters I can get guys 20 years younger. My advice to you if you insist is to make sure your ukemi is solid and that you don't do stupid **** to avoid the ippon - twisting out of a throw or refusing to tap is how us old folks get hurt.

Posted On:
    6/23/2012 7:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What grade are you?

Because you're being asked to referee and teach, but have only been to one competition. Something seems odd with that picture.

Also where exactly do you live, The Thunderdome? What is your coach on about with his 'people round these parts fight to the death' speech?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2012 8:11am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I remember correctly, the man giving you advice is -

http://burrisusastars.org/id21.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2012 10:16am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly Joe. So, none of this is taken lightly for me.

JudokaUK, it wasn't a fight to the death speach. These guys at the club take competition very seriously, some compete in World's and National's even some with scolarships through Judo.

I'm training for Ref, not just going out an doing it. So, it'll be a while.

I guess I just have to face and accept my age and limitations. Sensei obviously knows and sees more than I do. It's hard to face the fact I'm not 18 and not in great shape, not horrible shape for an old guy though.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 5:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering that Pat is your sensei, I'd listen carefully to him. If you have significant physical issues, competing with younger, fitter, judoka in the normal senior divisions can be pretty risky, even if they have mercy on you, which you can't count on.

I've been doing Judo 32 years now. Even without my fucked up shoulder, I'd give serious pause to competing against 20 something yudansha who are trying to qualify for nationals. I can go and do randori with them a few times a year, and my reflexes are not what I remember/fantasize them being, LOL. My only chance is on the ground, but I'd have to get them there first, and that aint' easy. And with all the guys cross training in BJJ these days, even tougher.

Refereeing is a decent way to contribute to Judo in your area. You won't ever make a national level ref, but the refs are needed more a the local/regional level than higher up. Learning to do timing/score keeping and run/set up brackets (technical official) is good as well if refereeing doesn't sit well with you (you can do both).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 6:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite who this guy's coach is, does no one else think that one thing Judo definitely doesn't lack, is referees with insufficient contest experience to be able to correctly understand what's going on?

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 10:03am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree in theory but around here we just need somebody to step up and do the job.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast