Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/23/2012 3:24am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kind of like a response kata.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 1:10pm

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering weapon retention training and individual awareness, if the officer becomes aware of the threat before the first grab or strike, he can attempt to gain reaction space and use his training to difuse or subdue. Should it escalate, he may deploy whatever force necessary up to and including deadly force. If the threat is only recognized once the assailant grabs the weapon then it comes down to execution of training and attempting to gain the advantage. Any attem,pt to assault a police officer is deemed a deadly encounter because there is always at least one firearm involved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 4:48pm

Style: Grappling/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a deadly force encounter and if I can find enough space to draw my weapon than I would use deadly force. He started us down this deadly path not me. I just responded to his intent to kill me.
  4. Bikewer

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 4:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a number of things to consider here. We receive a fair bit of training on this, as you might imagine. The first line of defense is situational awareness and basic precautions when dealing with suspects. As well, there are intangibles like confidence, psychological control, officer appearance and fitness.... We have been told that as a result of interviews of inmates who have attacked officers that they very consciously "size up" the copper and decide if they can take him.
    If the officer is sloppy, inattentive, overweight... They feel they have a pretty good chance.
    As well, there are subtle clues as to an impending attack that we are trained to recognize.
    We've all (LEOs that is...) been shown video of such attacks; there are several that have been taken by squad-car video.
    Usually the officer makes mistakes.

Should such an attack actually occur (very rare, BTW) the defensive tactics employed are fairly straightforward; hold the weapon in the holster while trying to disable/dislodge the attacker. Not easy...
    Usually the guy is down low and hunched over... Not much to hit.
    I carry a knife weak-side, one of those little fixed-blade K-bar TDI models. So do many of my colleagues.
    I'm also well-trained in simple defensive techniques like the 'sprawl".... If a guy comes in low he's most likely ending up with his face in the dirt and a Glock lined up.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
    I'm also well-trained in simple defensive techniques like the 'sprawl".... If a guy comes in low he's most likely ending up with his face in the dirt and a Glock lined up.
    That would seem to work most of the time, under ideal contidions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 6:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollykate View Post
    Hey

I just read this article on the news

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/trayvon-tri...232305661.html

And i wondered if you were getting out your car after responding to reports of a suspicious young man in the area when you suddenly saw the chap walk up to you in a threatening way and attempt to grab your piece?
    Very simply, I would do whatever it took to retain control of my weapon. As previously stated in this thread, there is only one reason that an assailant would attempt to disarm a police officer. Regarding a person "visually targeting" my weapon/other items on my belt, or stepping towards/cutting an angle towards my weapon side, I adjust my stance accordingly and VERY assertively warn the person to cease those behavior(s).

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 6:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People used to go for my bat when I was working. Pretty much used to grab their arm and c choke them.

Bat dosent have the same retentionness though I think.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 10:17am

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    People used to go for my bat when I was working. Pretty much used to grab their arm and c choke them.

Bat dosent have the same retentionness though I think.
    Unless Dan Inosanto disarmed your bat. . . lol.

Then he COULD point it at people and start firing.

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 1:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ppct

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 on off-hand knife...I carry a hideaway knife hidden behind my mag pouch...I train the non-subtle buzzsaw action cut, cut, cut some more until he lets go.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  10. danielsaun

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 3:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A guy I knew from high school became an LA County Sheriff, where you have to start in the jails first then he went to the street. He wanted a cushier job so he became Newport Beach cop later. His first call is suspect fleeing house after break in. He told me he was rushing there on foot, and ran in to, literally, the suspect and they both collided and fell down and start wrestling. He felt the guy was going for his gun so he grabs his Maglight, which he learned from LA County Sheriffs, and starts bashing the guy in the forehead and splits it open blood spurting and all kinds of fun stuff. He arrests the guy and then when all is over his CO says, Mike this ain't LA you can't do that **** in Newport you will get in a lot of trouble. I would venture some other LEO's do similar, maybe they can chime in?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast