Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2014 6:57pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It isn't about nutriding, just giving respect where respect is due.

For example, I think Anderson Silva is a fucking turd, and I'm very, very vocal about that. Yet I have never, ever made the claim that his wins were somehow illegitimate, even when he fought a lot of mid-level (your terminology) fighters back in his Pride days, and then middle years of the UFC, when they were having trouble finding him comparable opponents. He was still dominant, still got the W.

He also clearly has weaknesses, such as his piss-awful wrestling. And there were some sacrificial lambs thrown at him multiple times (Leites, for one).

Still, I never disparaged his skills, or his ability, or his relevance. Furthermore, relevance is something that is highly arbitrary, subjective, and subject to circumstantial trends in the fanbase.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    4/30/2014 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Sorry, but I just don't share your nutride for Fedor.
    Nah man, you're clearly more into nutriding Dana White's view of the world.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2014 10:57pm

Style: Judo noob, heavy bag

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its funny when certain MMA fans disparage Fedor's competition he faced in Pride. At the time, Pride clearly had the better heavyweight stable, and the current UFC heavyweight stable doesn't exactly blow Pride's out of the water either.

Maybe Fedor would do well in today's heavyweight landscape, maybe he wouldn't (I'd sa8 he would, but its really conjecture at this point). Regardless, dude beat the best available competition in the world during his reign and was dominant in doing so. You can't ignore that.

In the same way blackmonk doesn't like Silva but respects what hes done, I hate GSP's fights. The guy himself seems like a great human being, but I was definitely in the "he only fights not to lose!" camp. Regardless, to deny he is (at the very least) one of the best three UFC fighters of all time would just be asinine, and I have a lot of respect for his accomplishments.

:)

Posted On:
    5/01/2014 12:05am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arlovski is back with the UFC?? Huh well I wonder how he will make it to the cage with all the light breezes shattering his jaw.
    He is, and has been a good fighter. You don't show respect to a lot of these competitors.
    Sorry, but I just don't share your nutride for Fedor.
    You not appreciating a legend is on you pal. It is sorry, but don't say sorry, cos that's even sorrier, you sorry bastaahd.

Beating a prime Big Nog and Crocop alone would make Fedor an instrumental figure in mma history. That is but a tiny part of his achievements.

Posted On:
    5/01/2014 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    Nah man, you're clearly more into nutriding Dana White's view of the world.
    Hahahahaha you think I'm nutriding Dana White?? Clearly you haven't seen my posts about that douchebag.

Posted On:
    5/01/2014 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    It isn't about nutriding, just giving respect where respect is due.

For example, I think Anderson Silva is a fucking turd, and I'm very, very vocal about that. Yet I have never, ever made the claim that his wins were somehow illegitimate, even when he fought a lot of mid-level (your terminology) fighters back in his Pride days, and then middle years of the UFC, when they were having trouble finding him comparable opponents. He was still dominant, still got the W.

He also clearly has weaknesses, such as his piss-awful wrestling. And there were some sacrificial lambs thrown at him multiple times (Leites, for one).

Still, I never disparaged his skills, or his ability, or his relevance. Furthermore, relevance is something that is highly arbitrary, subjective, and subject to circumstantial trends in the fanbase.
    Actually Bobby doing a thread necro after two years to call Fedor the G.O.A.T. is in fact nutriding.

Posted On:
    5/01/2014 4:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually Bobby doing a thread necro after two years to call Fedor the G.O.A.T. is in fact nutriding.
    Just reasserting Fedor's primacy, within the context of some fans now calling Jones the GOAT.

When Jones has beaten even one larger opponent, he'll begin to probe the realm of potential discussion concerning chasing the GOAT status, but as he's dwarfed every opponent except Gus who had a veeeeeeeeeery close fight with him, the jury is out on where he is all time (beyond being the best UFC LHW in company history which is saying less than it might seem).

Where Jones would be had he fought a prime Rua, Rampage, Vitor, etc we don't know. We do know how Fedor did against the prime beasts that he bested. He beat them all, for a decade. If Jones had beaten all his opponents during their prime, it would still be a discussion about goat. That's how sick Fedor was.

G.O.A.T.

Posted On:
    5/02/2014 2:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2014 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sort-of-suplex was beautiful. But Fedor calmly sweeping him and getting the armlock is even more beautiful.

Posted On:
    5/28/2014 8:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    That sort-of-suplex was beautiful. But Fedor calmly sweeping him and getting the armlock is even more beautiful.
    No top level fighter I can think of faced down adversity better over the span of their career. Even in the Bigfoot fight, under mount, and with giant fists raining down, he still struggled, and tried, and would not give up, or turtle up. Though he couldn't prevail, he never caved in. He really showed his ironclad determination and warrior spirit in that fight before the cut stoppage.

Nobody ever broke him. He lost four. Two cuts, a beaut of a leg triangle, and one H-bomb. He was in trouble in other fights, but wouldn't stop, or yield at all. There's no shame in tapping to arguably the best sub artist in mma, KO'd by one of the best punches ever in the sport in the H bomb, or pinned by a monster with a bjj black belt who cuts to 265.

Living to sweep/sub Randleman, Armbarring Hong Man Choi from the bottom, Dropping Arlovski, Drop and Subbing Silvia, GNP of Nog, Armbarring Olympian Judoka Ogawa, Outstriking Crocop, Dropping Rogers, Besting Coleman twice, Schilt, there are so many times when he broke expectation in how he won, and what he survived on occasion to do so.

It's a very special fighter indeed that can and does capitalize on one momentary mistake so often to prevail, and can also beat adversity directly in the best realm of his/her opponent.

There was no safe place against the Great Fedor. Standing, clinching or on the ground it was all trouble. Turtles with machine guns all the way down.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast