Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2012 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We proposed a set of modernized pugilism rules for Bullshido throwdowns a few years ago - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78523 . A couple of guys did try it out and posted video, but they couldn't figure out how to work some of it recreationally and kept reflexively diving for the legs, so it ended up more like Sanda sparring without kicks:

These guys in Surrey, UK are doing regular LPR-style classes: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pugili...24027424314646

... and Keith Jennings, one of the instructors at the Forteza Fitness and WMA school in Chicago, is planning to add LPR boxing to the roster of 19th century styles, but it's a tough sell largely because it's too rough for many folks into historical fencing, etc. and MMA guys typically want to stick with things they've seen proven in a high-profile contest.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2012 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    If there are any Richmond, VA bullies who want to light spar LPR style on a Sunday, count me in. It'll actually probably be pretty similar to some of the basic MT stuff that I've learned.

P.S. we'll probably still need to wear gloves.
    I'd definitely recommend gloves and headgear for any amateur rendition of the LPR style. I've been using these - http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...gilism-gloves/ - for a few months, and I like them. The same company is coming out with a full boxing glove in the same style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2012 2:05am

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I convinced a guy to do five rounds of LPR boxing at the boxing gym tonight. Didn't get it on film, which is a shame but at the same time it would have been slightly embarrassing since he was a much better boxer and grappling than me. I noticed that we both had smooth transitions between our strikes and clinches, but I can tell I threw him off with my front chancery. Additionally I noticed that even though the throws can slowly wind you, they also give you a bit of time to recover as you're getting up so that's interesting to take into consideration. Fun times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2012 9:59am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    I convinced a guy to do five rounds of LPR boxing at the boxing gym tonight. Didn't get it on film, which is a shame but at the same time it would have been slightly embarrassing since he was a much better boxer and grappling than me. I noticed that we both had smooth transitions between our strikes and clinches, but I can tell I threw him off with my front chancery. Additionally I noticed that even though the throws can slowly wind you, they also give you a bit of time to recover as you're getting up so that's interesting to take into consideration. Fun times.
    There's a reason that some old BKB matches were about to go 100 rounds. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2012 4:12pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    There's a reason that some old BKB matches were about to go 100 rounds. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Yeah I'm starting to really get that now. I recall reading in one of the manuals that the LPR rules give you 30 seconds of rest after a round ends, so that really can help, especially if the round itself wasn't that long. We weren't using MMA gloves though, so next time I hope to use MMA gloves and get it on film.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12