228081 Bullies, 4563 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 15
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Mordschlag is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    193

    Posted On:
    6/19/2012 1:04am


     Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    An Article on LPR Boxing

    Hey everyone,

    So I decided to write a short article on LPR era boxing this afternoon. I did this because I needed to give a friend a brief primer on the subject and I simply couldn't find one already made online, and for the additional novelty of having something to point to when my sparring mates ask me about old time boxing. As it says on the page, it isn't meant to be exhaustive or a complete guide to everything on the subject, it's just meant to give a quick introduction to the facets that most strongly contrast with modern boxing.

    An Introduction to London Prize Ring Boxing

    Any criticism would be warmly welcomed. Am I missing anything vital here?
  2. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    6/19/2012 7:12am

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After the Pacquiao fight, I would love to see matches fought under these rules.
  3. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,603

    Posted On:
    6/19/2012 7:43am

    supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    After the Pacquiao fight, I would love to see matches fought under these rules.
    Hell yeah, I had never even heard of this before. I'm gonna have to look into this.
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
  4. lklawson is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964

    Posted On:
    6/19/2012 10:23am


     Style: Bowie

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks good to me. At first you thew me a bit when you wrote that the foot work is pretty much the same. I immediately thought, "what about the drop step punches? the angel steps? the parries? the..." etc. But I should have known better. You went ahead and covered the basics through out the article. Nice job.

    :)

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
  5. Mordschlag is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    193

    Posted On:
    6/20/2012 12:09am


     Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    After the Pacquiao fight, I would love to see matches fought under these rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Hell yeah, I had never even heard of this before. I'm gonna have to look into this.
    I've been telling people this for sometime now. How badass would it be to have a LPR match as the opening to a big ticket fight night? I bet it would increase interest in boxing and help inject life into televised fights, if not help revive boxing as a whole.

    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    Looks good to me. At first you thew me a bit when you wrote that the foot work is pretty much the same. I immediately thought, "what about the drop step punches? the angel steps? the parries? the..." etc. But I should have known better. You went ahead and covered the basics through out the article. Nice job.

    :)

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Thanks! I didn't know how much detail was enough for the footwork section, since I kept thinking about mentioning the extended guard and trying to cover all the possible bases, so I'm glad it is good enough as is. I can be a bit of a perfectionist so it took a lot of effort to keep it simple and straight-forward, and not try to define every little thing for people who don't know what a "left lead" is or something that non-boxers wouldn't immediately grasp.
  6. lklawson is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964

    Posted On:
    6/20/2012 8:23am


     Style: Bowie

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    Thanks! I didn't know how much detail was enough for the footwork section, since I kept thinking about mentioning the extended guard and trying to cover all the possible bases, so I'm glad it is good enough as is. I can be a bit of a perfectionist so it took a lot of effort to keep it simple and straight-forward, and not try to define every little thing for people who don't know what a "left lead" is or something that non-boxers wouldn't immediately grasp.
    The problem is that when you decide that you need to cover everything you end up writing a book, not an article.

    Ask me how I know. ;)

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
  7. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,006

    Posted On:
    6/20/2012 1:27pm

    supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really good article you did! I especially like the distinctions you made in the footwork part. It is really similar to how I stick fight. Since I don't want to take shots from a stick, I use a similar "get in, hit, and get out" type of fighting. I can see how this would have been similar with bare knuckles and where other types of in fighting is alowed.

    Thanks for the read.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you ďcardio without the dishonour of aerobicsĒ.
  8. lordbd is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Shelton, CT
    Posts
    896

    Posted On:
    6/20/2012 1:47pm


     Style: Hung Gar

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great article. Someone start an ammy LPR league dammit.
  9. Mordschlag is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    193

    Posted On:
    6/20/2012 2:21pm


     Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    The problem is that when you decide that you need to cover everything you end up writing a book, not an article.

    Ask me how I know. ;)

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    I got the feeling that would be the case. When I began there were only about three sections, and then those sections got split in half to make new sections and so on and so on. At one point I just figured I had to make the conscious decision to knock that behavior off before I got to the point where milling got its own one page section or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Really good article you did! I especially like the distinctions you made in the footwork part. It is really similar to how I stick fight. Since I don't want to take shots from a stick, I use a similar "get in, hit, and get out" type of fighting. I can see how this would have been similar with bare knuckles and where other types of in fighting is alowed.

    Thanks for the read.
    Glad you enjoyed it. The footwork applies to many different situations and I had a conversation with someone about it this yesterday. The fine chap made the observation that certain MMA fighters were now lunging in and out, shift punching, and so on. I told him that I think the footwork of LPR boxing starts to be re-discovered whenever people find a pressing need to rapidly cover distance and rapidly go back to the safe approach distance, like when that person risks being thrown, kicked in the face, or hit with a counter-strike via stick. Seems to make sense anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Great article. Someone start an ammy LPR league dammit.
    Thank you. Honestly I donít get why we havenít already done this. Iíve thought that the structure of the Singlestick and Broadsword league makes a lot of sense for something like amateur LPR. Maybe it is up to us scrappy Bullshido chaps to make some system where people can locate other people close by, spar with them, and put the results online. It would probably make training easier too.
  10. lordbd is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Shelton, CT
    Posts
    896

    Posted On:
    6/20/2012 3:24pm


     Style: Hung Gar

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post

    Thank you. Honestly I don’t get why we haven’t already done this. I’ve thought that the structure of the Singlestick and Broadsword league makes a lot of sense for something like amateur LPR. Maybe it is up to us scrappy Bullshido chaps to make some system where people can locate other people close by, spar with them, and put the results online. It would probably make training easier too.
    If there are any Richmond, VA bullies who want to light spar LPR style on a Sunday, count me in. It'll actually probably be pretty similar to some of the basic MT stuff that I've learned.

    P.S. we'll probably still need to wear gloves.

    P.P.S. This book is pretty cool

    Last edited by lordbd; 6/20/2012 3:26pm at . Reason: added link
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.