Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 11:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kodokan Randori and IJF Rules

Can anyone elaborate on how the IJF ruleset's standardization in Japanese tournaments impacts Kodokan training? I had the understanding that the Kodokan was distinct from the IJF and could be one of the few places Judo could actually be studied and practiced to its full extent, but searching around apparently they train for IJF rules now?

Posted On:
    6/20/2012 5:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Kodokan is a private dojo and isn't even bound by the AJJF. It can have whatever rules it wants for its internal tournaments.

I don't know what effect if any the IJF rules have had on training there, but I would imagine leg grabs weren't a big part of training before the rule changes so the impact would have been minimal at most.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/20/2012 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I don't know what effect if any the IJF rules have had on training there, but I would imagine leg grabs weren't a big part of training before the rule changes so the impact would have been minimal at most.
    There was a lag time before they adopted the no leg attacks rule for their internal competitions, I remember reading, but they have done so now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2012 11:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking about this again recently, and thought maybe I should - duh - ask the Kodokan. Hills and valleys, folks. Anyway, according to the International dept.'s electronic correspondence:

Kodokan has its own referring regulations for competitions and it is different from IJF rules. For example, Kataguruma is still OK to practice.

So while I guess it's not NAGA up in there, they keep it real. Details pending whilst I bug them for more information.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2012 12:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!