Posted On:
    6/18/2012 11:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First fight - feedback please

Hi guys - hope this is the right forum.

Did my first fight at Seni in the no-gi, <1 year experience category - would welcome any feedback on any mistakes I made or openings I missed.

I'm the taller guy, fight starts 40 seconds into the vid.

Thanks.

John

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 11:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Video enclosed

Quote Originally Posted by wallsj View Post
    Hi guys - hope this is the right forum.

Did my first fight at Seni in the no-gi, <1 year experience category - would welcome any feedback on any mistakes I made or openings I missed.

I'm the taller guy, fight starts 40 seconds into the vid.

Thanks.

John
    Might help if I include the link to the video:

Video here:

John.

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 7:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More pace.

Grappling has as much to do with breaking your oponants will as it does technical brilliance
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 6/18/2012 7:47pm at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 5:32am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "macrwgaz" isn't really correct; you need to switch your base and slow your pace, you had a dominate side control and had you switched would have had your hips low and at worst ended up in his half-guard rather than full.

- Fight for your posture in guard, leave his head/neck alone
    - If he has your head like that push his elbow up, and pull your head back in the opposite direction to regain posture
    - Hands on him, not on the floor
    - Why aren't you trying to pass at all? You keep moving back to this weird forearm on the neck thing, while you're in his guard...great for holding him there, but not for progressing or finishing
    - 2.36...he's not even holding your head for a few seconds, posture up!
    - 2.50+ you finally posture up and move up to mount from his very sloppy guard, not a bad use of his mistakes to transition into the head arm choke
    - I find that with chokes, when in doubt squeeze and count to 10, then try and adjust if you think it's not on

Posture, posture, posture. Work to pass guard...you're not there to lie in his guard and wait for him to set up subs.

A rashguard would help a little, but meh, it's not going to improve your technique, that comes with practice.

Breath, calm down, be patient, continue onto victory!
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 9:00am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ladies, you're both pretty.

First off ditch the shoes and headgear. As you advance you really don't need it. Shoes provide mroe grip for anyone seeking a footlock I like when I see a guy in wrestling shoes because I know I will be good if I decide to play legs.

o Get your grips then set up yoru takedown. The leg reaps looked sloppy you had no real control to do it right.

o Side mount was TERRIBLE. You gave up A LOT of space. You also tried to rush the mount which got you caught in the gaurd. Take to time to properly achieve AND maintain your position THEN try a proper method to achieve the mount (knee slide on the belly, switch base, etc)

o Your sole purpose in the guard it to pass it. Once you get free of him holding you down POSTURE UP AND CONTROL HIS HIPS! Don't worry about his upper body unless he is moving to choke you. Controling his hips is what keeps you from being swept and limits his mobility.

o If you post your leg in the guard post it away from you opponent, generally about 45 degrees behind you. Do not post it any where he can easily hook it.

o Just like with mounting becareful of your dismounts. Remember any time you jump or hop you become easier for your opponent to move you so you don't want to give him the oppurtunity to escape or sweep you when you are going for the submission.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 10:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brilliant - thanks guys. So my take aways are:

* In guard - work to posture up and control hips - nice tip on controlling opponents elbow if it's round my head. Haven't come across that before
    * need to work on my guard pass and drill it a lot - I know this is a weakness and it's something I'm working on
    * also need to work on perfecting side control position and transition from there
    * yep - my takedowns were totally lacking control - I was disappointed in that
    * I was surprised how much the adrenaline rush impacted me early on in the fight - I was dead by the halfway point - I've got a suspicion that I was holding my breath for much of the first part of the fight which wouldn't have helped especially as my cardio's not great anyway.

Thanks again for the critique guys - will work on these :)

John

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/20/2012 7:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missing posts moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116828

Do not post in the technique forums if you have no knowledge of the topic under discussion.
    Shut the hell up and train.