Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 9:28am

Style: tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Copyright in martial arts

I have a friend who is a Kung Fu intstructor with more than 30 years uninterrupted training. In 2007, after almost 28 years with the Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan Kung Fu System, he decided to leave. After a meeting, the chief instructor, Sifu Christopher Lai, agreed that he should continue to teach various forms. Initially Sifu Christopher Lai was fine with it and wished him well. However some 3.5 years later his Sifu has decided to sue him, claiming copyright infringement of the forms blah blah blah! Why did it take him so long. This sounds like bullying and a serious case of insecurity.

I wasn't aware that anyone could actually copyright the expression of human movement.. Has anybody else faced a similar problem? Please let me know.

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 10:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is relevant, but i doubt there is any cause for concern in your friend's situation.
    http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...to-the-people/

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shaolin Do has an interesting history of copyrighting martial arts stuff. You should search some of their threads here.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fivecracked88 View Post
    I have a friend who is a Kung Fu intstructor with more than 30 years uninterrupted training. .
    Is your friend the same person who told you about the school doing blood oaths?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did it take him so long. This sounds like bullying and a serious case of insecurity.
    If your friend hadn't been very successful, it may have been moot. Any time someone has any degree of success, people come out of the woodwork with their hands out.
    Sometimes they bring attorneys with them. Have your friend speak with an attorney that specializes in intellectual property law.

I wasn't aware that anyone could actually copyright the expression of human movement.. Has anybody else faced a similar problem? Please let me know.
    Is he claiming patent or copyright infringement? Copyright is usually exclusive to reproducing, distributing or performing works (music or poetry) that are copyrighted.

Last edited by slamdunc; 6/18/2012 12:50pm at .