Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 1:10pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Ha, my paramount issues were making it to class on time and pursuing women of dubious moral standards.
    Perhaps i was a cause of grief and finding religion?
    Those issues sound pretty damn paramount to me! If any of your old conquests come my way I'll tell them to PM you :SoMuchWin:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 1:56pm

Style: Bartitsu, Judo noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just downloaded and read the paper. Good stuff. Speaking as someone who has also published in the psychology of religion literature, THANK YOU for striking another blow against unidimensional operationalizations of religion! The worst (and I'm pacing back and forth in my office snarling while typing this) are the studies that use single-item measures, and then act as if their results mean anything! Argh!

I talk about Pargament and religious coping in some of my lectures, as well, focusing on the idea of there being healthy and unhealthy forms of religious coping. I think I'll add your study to that material, since it flows well with the existing literature on the topic.

The following is not a criticism, just pointing in a couple of directions that I didn't see in your study: Looking at reactions to life crises, have you gotten into the work of Julie Exline? (faculty website: http://psychology.case.edu/faculty/exline_pubs.html , scroll down to "Religious and Spiritual Struggles") I find her work on crises as opportunities either for a loss of faith or a deepening and maturation of faith to be useful. (I even worked it into a geek-out over Firefly: http://cheesewearingtheology.com/201...y-of-religion/ ) And I can't talk about a meaning-oriented approach to the psychology of religion without mentioning my buddy Paul Wong ( http://meaning.ca/ ) and his work on death-acceptance and existential positive psychology.

Are you still in Richmond? I've been invited to speak at a conference in Virginia Beach this fall.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 2:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    All kidding aside, I'm just not the best writer, especially for these dry, scientific things.
    Hardly anyone is. I don't think I've ever read a scientific article that flowed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 3:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sun of Thunder,

Pleasure to make your acquaintance, I'm glad you enjoyed the article. I'll be running numbers for our follow-up with a larger sample over the next 2-3 weeks and would be happy to send you any interesting results we have. We're hoping that we replicate the pattern in the factor analysis so that we can say with more confidence "these are the religious coping strategies that bereaved college students seem to find the most useful."

I was not aware of Dr. Exline's work but I'll have to give it a read and add it to the conculsion of our next paper. My advisor may be aware of her work. I am vaguely aware of Dr. Wong. We tend to take essentially a Park and Folkman (1997) approach to meaning thus far, but his organization looks worth looking into. It is possible that my advisor might be attending that conference that you mentioned. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat further!

Death to oversimplified measures of religious experience!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 4:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be running numbers for our follow-up with a larger sample over the next 2-3 weeks and would be happy to send you any interesting results we have.
    Awesome. My faculty page has my email.

Death to oversimplified measures of religious experience!
    Dern tootin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2012 8:06am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations on getting published.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2012 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations! My wife was extremely excited the first time she got published - it's a big deal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2012 9:51pm

Style: SL5,MT, BJJ noob,Chow Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats - no mean feat, now publish or perish!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2012 10:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexe View Post
    Congrats - no mean feat, now publish or perish!
    Haha. I'd be long dead.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2012 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good job !
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast