Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 3:53am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How is sport Sanshou different to the Sanshou in traditional Chinese martial arts?

I love sport Sanshou and really want to study it. However there is no Sanshou school that I can find near where I live in Sydney, Australia.

However there is a Jow-Gar Kung Fu school that says they teach Sanshou alongside their forms.

How is sport Sanshou different to the Sanshou in traditional Chinese martial arts like Jow-Gar Kung Fu?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 9:15am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sanshou is first and foremost just a ruleset for open competition. It is not a style. Anyone from any martial art can compete in sanshou.

As with any competative format, there are those who only compete in sport Sanshou and only learn the bare Sanshou format of Chinese boxing.

Sanshou is one of the rule formats that developed to allow various schools of Chinese boxing to compete against each other. Jow Ga is one of those Chinese boxing schools, and tends to do fairly well in Sanshou competition. I've competed with and against local Jow Ga boxers and would definitely recommend checking this school out.

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 2:41am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy rising View Post
    However there is a Jow-Gar Kung Fu school that says they teach Sanshou alongside their forms.

How is sport Sanshou different to the Sanshou in traditional Chinese martial arts like Jow-Gar Kung Fu?
    The school could mean:

sport sanshou
    plain ol' sparring
    one or more choreographed two-person sets
    some combination of all three

You make lots and lots of posts about all sorts of martial arts, often asking "X or Y" or "Does Y have X?" Why not just check out a class or two?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/26/2012 10:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A decent book on Jow Ga came out a few months ago that I would recommend. Very light reading but a great intro to Jow Ga.

Although there is some fluff in the book, it's also very down to earth and even has a whole chapter on how great Western boxing is, which is refreshing (for a kung fu book.)

The author Ron Wheeler is a former kuoshu champion, sanshou instructor, boxing instructor, and is on the Dept. of Exercise Science staff at GW university.

http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/dc/RonWheeler.html
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/26/2012 10:59am at .