Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 4:32pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure your art can discover "new ways," but they need to be tested. I just take exception to the negativity of CMAers and the "it just kinda turns into people kickboxing with palm strikes." As a former instructor, it hinders your development. Fighting isn't pretty and most techniques have a CMA flavor, but don't look like your forms.

It weird because BJJers and Judokas respect each other to a certain extent. CMAers tend to **** on everything. No, this isn't always the case, but I hear much more "eww kickboxing" than "eww wrestling" from BJJers.

Now, don't mix "I hate wrestlers IN TRAINING" with disparaging wrestling as a whole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 4:41pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I read chunks of that book many years ago. I recall Adam Hsu saying something about what describes a "kung fu" way of fighting. I think he said something like if you punch with your left fist and fail to strike again from the left side before going to the right, it's not kung fu fighting. If I recalled that correctly, then a throwing a standard 1-2 combination wouldn't be kung fu. Maybe this is from his baji where they throw the elbow or shoulder of the same side after a punch or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 4:44pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder if there are differences between shuai jiao throws and judo throws.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 5:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I'll find you the thread.

I recall Adam Hsu saying something about what describes a "kung fu" way of fighting. I think he said something like if you punch with your left fist and fail to strike again from the left side before going to the right, it's not kung fu fighting.
    Yes, and many a CMA master has fostered that belief. Pretty much I read and listen until they say something in that fashion. I like to chalk it up to keeping students.

No, this isn't just a CMA problem.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/17/2012 5:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:38pm

Style: Xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying anything negative about kickboxing

just that if you're learning xingyi or whatever then you should try to apply your practiced techniques to sparring. Now obviously a zuan quan in application won't really look exactly how you practice it, or even much like it. but it will have a different sort of flavor and trajectory than a kickboxing/mt type uppercut, right?

or maybe im just full of ****.

edit: i guess you already mentioned that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:57pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
    but it will have a different sort of flavor and trajectory than a kickboxing/mt type uppercut, right?
    Right and to the layman it will look like "bkickboxing with palm strikes" All I'm saying is this perception needs to disappear before CMA can move forward. A CMA practitioner will say "hmmm that was drilling" a Boxing guy will say "hmm an uppercut."

The thing is get it into the ring OR out in the open before worrying about aesthetics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 9:07pm

Style: Xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gttintin View Post
    I think I read chunks of that book many years ago. I recall Adam Hsu saying something about what describes a "kung fu" way of fighting. I think he said something like if you punch with your left fist and fail to strike again from the left side before going to the right, it's not kung fu fighting. If I recalled that correctly, then a throwing a standard 1-2 combination wouldn't be kung fu. Maybe this is from his baji where they throw the elbow or shoulder of the same side after a punch or something.
    This was my least favorite part of the book, along with the idea that you can't pull back an attack after its thrown(i see nothing wrong or 'unkungfu' with feinting)

I guess its his accretive belief in the arts he's practiced. Baji has a lot of moves that are supposed to change in application based on the opponents reaction and position. Bagua is about changing an attack to something else if it doesnt work, and taichi and baji place heavy emphasis on sticking to your opponent and continuing to infight for position

its an interesting concept, and in theory it makes some sense., but i havent seen it really applied in the ring or in sparring at all throughtout the course of the match (although I have seen this in spurts for sure)

:shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Right and to the layman it will look like "bkickboxing with palm strikes" All I'm saying is this perception needs to disappear before CMA can move forward. A CMA practitioner will say "hmmm that was drilling" a Boxing guy will say "hmm an uppercut."

The thing is get it into the ring OR out in the open before worrying about aesthetics.
    Well what i meant by 'kickboxing with palm strikes I meant the techniques themselves but with essentially a lot of the power mechanics being left out. I agree that you have to ring test everything ultimately as well.
    Last edited by Anjin; 6/17/2012 9:10pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 5:03am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, I'll find you the thread.
    Did you do this?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gttintin View Post
    I wonder if there are differences between shuai jiao throws and judo throws.
    yes, there are. you do realize that they have different rule sets, goals and concepts, right?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 8:43am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Did you do this?
    Is it in the thread? Then the answer is no.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast