Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    As for my point with this thread, I was curious if others have experienced some benefit to their FMA training outside of weapon work, such as empty handed striking speed and reaction time.

I find that when we're doing a lot of stick swinging in Kali, my forearm strikes are much better in empty hand. When we're doing a lot of knife/double knife, my slaps and trapping tend to be better in empty hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 10:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for my point with this thread, I was curious if others have experienced some benefit to their FMA training outside of weapon work, such as empty handed striking speed and reaction time.
    Ok, yes. I've definitely experienced improvement in speed, accuracy and reaction time from practice with sticks. Trainer knives as well.

Gains in strength on the other hand I chalk up to bag work and weight lifting. The heavy bag helped me strike with "authori-tay". And the weights made me strong enough to pick up and play with up to two people my size. (Fun at parties?)

All of it togeather has made me an "unpleasant" surprise for a few bitch ass marks. But hey, they all worked extra hard invite it upon themselves...

Train safe!

Posted On:
    8/15/2012 11:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do and Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it would stand to reason for FMA to change your perception of speed because a Kali stick can move so fast and flow from strike to strike faster then empty handed attacks your mind would have to start compensating eventually. I saw video of my friends competing and I could bearly track the stick but some of the guys were pulling of blocks and counters which is amazing at that speed those guys were going, so something must change :D

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2012 11:28am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of masters and instructors say that FMA practice (weapons) has a direct effect on the practitioners' perception of speed. Your reaction time is faster and you perceive empty handed attacks faster, and they seem slower to you if you're used to tracking sticks moving at speed.

I'm curious to know what the FMA people here think of this.
    Unquestionably the "siniwalli" double-stick work can make a huge improvement. It gives both hands "a plan" in fighting, moving in compliment to each other. I have seen the dramatic improvement in guys many times, they come in a standard "boxer" and after a few weeks of stick work they are much faster with their hands in sparring.

Conceptually, it's the difference between AND (combo strikes) and THEN (sequential strikes).

As far as empty hands go, to gain the full benefit of this skill one should look at the DBMA "Kali Tudo" material and explore the use of crashing forearm strikes and elbows.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    8/15/2012 12:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    During this month's curriculum in my JKD classes, we're using the stick to increase reaction time for entering after an attack. The feeder is the one with the stick, the receiver is working on empty handed evasions, and entering with either a pakda, a jik tek, or a cross, depending on the feeder. After drilling against the stick, then we remove the stick and feed using empty hand attacks.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/15/2012 4:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    During this month's curriculum in my JKD classes, we're using the stick to increase reaction time for entering after an attack. The feeder is the one with the stick, the receiver is working on empty handed evasions, and entering with either a pakda, a jik tek, or a cross, depending on the feeder. After drilling against the stick, then we remove the stick and feed using empty hand attacks.
    Nice!

It's dowright HARD to close range on someone with a weapon that long.

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    8/15/2012 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do plenty of baston vs mano in my FMA class, but at the last DB gathering I found that the real threat of being whacked with a stick when I don't have one makes me try to furiously hug my opponent, not do cool agaws and stuff.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    8/15/2012 6:05pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    We do plenty of baston vs mano in my FMA class, but at the last DB gathering I found that the real threat of being whacked with a stick when I don't have one makes me try to furiously hug my opponent, not do cool agaws and stuff.
    Yeah, we're solely doing this for attribute development, not stick versus empty hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2012 3:40am

Style: FMA Combatives

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So in essence, yes stick sparring (notice not training) does correlate to perception of speed, timing, and distance. I belonged to an mma gym for about a year or so, I took a month off to train in FMA, and when I went back to the mma gym, punches seemed just a split second slower to me than usual. Lets just say I left that gym to train FMA after my contract ended, I had no aspirations of becoming an mma fighter anyway. And it's nice to know how to use a knife and/or stick in crappy situations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2012 10:17pm

Style: Aiki, I-Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My former JKD sifu who studied with Rich Bustillo and a bit with Danny Inosanto said to me: If you train empty hands vs stick and then vs knives, do you think a punch will make you nervous? At the time it made perfect sense. But at the time I have the same question now I did then, which is why I am so pissed at myself for not putting in the time in PMA to find out and that is-If its that obvious, why dont professional boxers incorporate that kind of training into their regime. You dont see any of it. Not MMA people. Im talking about a guy who is getting 5-10 million or more a fight where that fraction of a difference in reaction time means the difference of being ranked number 10 to being champion of the world. Id actually pay big money to see world class PMA fight boxers with gloves and see if on equal footing, who would win. I say it would fluctuate. I bet the fights would be more exciting than MMA fights also. Problem is how wopuld you have a heavyweight division when so few philippinos and asians are over 200 pounds. But the lighter weight classes would work just fine.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast