Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:04am

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FMA effect of speed and empty hands

A lot of masters and instructors say that FMA practice (weapons) has a direct effect on the practitioners' perception of speed. Your reaction time is faster and you perceive empty handed attacks faster, and they seem slower to you if you're used to tracking sticks moving at speed.

I'm curious to know what the FMA people here think of this.

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think any alive sparring will do that. I personally think the FMA advantage is in timing, distancing, and footwork.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:37am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    A lot of masters and instructors say that FMA practice (weapons) has a direct effect on the practitioners' perception of speed. Your reaction time is faster and you perceive empty handed attacks faster, and they seem slower to you if you're used to tracking sticks moving at speed.

I'm curious to know what the FMA people here think of this.
    What's your take on it?

I don't see how it would be any more beneficial seeing how the weapon is just an extension of your arms with, from what I've gathered from reading on Bullshido, the same basic movements. Seems to me it would be no more beneficial than sparring with somebody with a greater reach than you, unless of course weapons are involved.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I think any alive sparring will do that. I personally think the FMA advantage is in timing, distancing, and footwork.
    I think aliveness is absolutely essential in FMA. But what's your take on FMA's effect on hand speed and speed perception (just those two attributes)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    What's your take on it?

I don't see how it would be any more beneficial seeing how the weapon is just an extension of your arms with, from what I've gathered from reading on Bullshido, the same basic movements. Seems to me it would be no more beneficial than sparring with somebody with a greater reach than you, unless of course weapons are involved.
    Personally I think that FMA does have an effect on how the person perceives speed but how much it is, I can't tell.

How about those of you who do primarily empty handed training and also do FMA, any FMA effect on your EH skills?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:55am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh ****, lol, I quoted the wrong person in my last post.

I don't see how twirling batons would give you greater speed or reaction timing than swatting flies. It is still just an object making its way to your body. Maybe if you perceived the danger level to be higher than fists you would react faster due to adrenaline, but that could work against you too.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 8:56am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm. This is fairly relevant to my interests. I'm too much of a noob to FMA to say if its doing anything for my hand speed, but at least at my gym, we're told to watch the shoulders to track strikes rather than watching the weapon (the same thing I've been told in every striking style I've ever done) so I'm not sure I'm ever really "tracking the stick".

That said, defense is the biggest hole in my game, and once I've sorted that out my views may change.

I think there may be some truth in this, if only because stick fights are definitely faster and involve more strikes in a shorter space of time (again, in my limited experience, I've never fought standup with a well-trained boxer).

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 12:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it would depend on the stick style you are doing. I think the close range styles would probably be really good for helping your empty hand game. Balintawak, for example. Also most knife styles since they rely on hand movement and quickness.

At long range distancing and footwork has a lot more to do with your game until you crash or close.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I don't see how it would be any more beneficial seeing how the weapon is just an extension of your arms with, from what I've gathered from reading on Bullshido, the same basic movements.
    There's some truth there, but its also true that the tip of a stick will move faster than, say, a punch, even if the body is moving the same speed. As someone said, you learn to track the body, not the stick, but against some people I simply have to track the stick because their attacks are flurries of abanicos, doblados etc and basically they're denying you the information you want their body to tell you. I think that while it can appear to "slow down" the perception of speed, the main thing that happens is that the FMAer learns to read people and anticipate quickly, and make better use of rhythm, timing and distance in a way that makes someone appear faster.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 11:21am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find my perception & hand speed exceptional fast when I'm dealing with drunks.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast