Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 4:56pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    I've got a couple tips for you friend, might make it easier.

1. When you land your kick, where are your toes pointing on the foot that is NOT kicking? A good pivot on the grounded foot is integral to the kick and getting your hips in on the action. Make sure your toes end up pointing away from your opponent, not just 90 degrees.

2.Another trick to open your hips up: If I'm kicking with my right leg, I will sometimes simultaneously touch my right hand to their right shoulder. This not only insures I turn my whole body sideways with the kick, but it guards the chin in a decent fashion.
    It's also a good habit to hide the kick with I always liked the jab cross round kick combo using the cross to distract and "blind" the opponent and it usually worked even do it in karate great for quick ashi barai. It also helps with the hips feeling almost like your pulling the leg with the arm at least that is how it always felt for me.

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 5:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF-TKD + Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    If you're using the knee extension to generate power, you can't really do so effectively if you hit with the shin, because of the dynamics of the movement.
    You're right. I missed this angle.
    It's not as problematic with MT delivery striking with ball of foot though, as I do this sometimes (when I feel mean :) ), but you're right in that it's not optimal.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tameshiwhaty? View Post
    It's also a good habit to hide the kick with I always liked the jab cross round kick combo using the cross to distract and "blind" the opponent and it usually worked even do it in karate great for quick ashi barai. It also helps with the hips feeling almost like your pulling the leg with the arm at least that is how it always felt for me.
    Is your round kick after the cross done off the back leg, or the front leg? I like the front leg, since the body is torqued to throw the kick, whereas the back leg already has the hip turned so you can't whip it into the kick. I've seen people do it and drill it that way though.

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 5:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF-TKD + Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is your round kick after the cross done off the back leg, or the front leg? I like the front leg, since the body is torqued to throw the kick
    Same here. It flows more naturally when working on heavy bag.

I wonder though that on a missed cross, if the momentum would work better for a rear leg roundhouse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 5:31pm

Style: MARS, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perma:

I like both. Front leg is chambered and is going to be a nice little liver shot (Esp. with a skip step) back leg is good for stick and move.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 7:58pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my old club we taught to kick one way, but if someone else from another dicipline kicked another way, we were fine with that. The kicks we taught are actually more of a chambered kick, but I kicked a more MT way. My co-instructor is lb for lb better than me; his kicks were all chambered. They lacked in sheer power (I kick decently hard) but it fit his style very well; they were not telegraphed, and he mixed them up with punches very well, and decently powerful; with his decent reach it worked very well. Also keep in mind this guy's guard and footwork resembled andy hug. I kinda felt bad because kids would watch how powerful my kicks were (they definitely aren't cro-cop kicks but decent for someone my size and experience) and try to emulate me, when I knew it wasn't the necessarily the best way to kick.

However, OP, remember my club was advertised "Kickboxing (Karate, Muay Thai, Kempo, Boxing, Taekwondo)" We were a kickboxing team, not a Muay Thai team (our biggest influence is actually boxing). You're at a Muay Thai gym. I suggest you just learn what they teach, or find a club like ours.

BTW: Even with pure MT kicks, if you execute the kicks well enough you should have no problem following up with punches. Check out some remy bonjaski videos if you wanna see.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2012 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is your round kick after the cross done off the back leg, or the front leg? I like the front leg, since the body is torqued to throw the kick, whereas the back leg already has the hip turned so you can't whip it into the kick. I've seen people do it and drill it that way though.
    It's the back leg and I know what ya mean but for me it always seemed natural, when I crank the arm back i kinda use the force as a way to over rotate, feels like a rear knee.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 12:34pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're going to follow up with the same side roundhouse kick, make sure you finish that punch. Most peolpe half-ass that punch when they are going to throw the kick. It also telegraphs the kick a bit too.

The rear foot roundhouse after the straight can be almost as powerful. Even though your power side is extended and torqued a certain way for the punch, you don't lose out on that much acceleration because you still have to contract the extended parts. You still have plenty of room to accelerate the kick. Its even more effective if you get it down to one smooth motion.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 12:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    If you're going to follow up with the same side roundhouse kick, make sure you finish that punch. Most peolpe half-ass that punch when they are going to throw the kick. It also telegraphs the kick a bit too.

The rear foot roundhouse after the straight can be almost as powerful. Even though your power side is extended and torqued a certain way for the punch, you don't lose out on that much acceleration because you still have to contract the extended parts. You still have plenty of room to accelerate the kick. Its even more effective if you get it down to one smooth motion.
    When I get it just right the kick is almost a half tick after the punch makes contact so kinda using the momentum of my body moving forward.
    Last edited by Tameshiwhaty?; 7/12/2012 12:32am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2012 9:23am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tameshiwhaty? View Post
    When I get it just right the kick is almost a half tick after the punch makes contact so kinda using the momentum of my body moving forward.
    I like this technique too, as the kick almost sneaks in behind the punch. One of my old instructors used to do this, and if you didn't see it coming (you usually didn't) you usually had to choose to eat either one or the other.

However, I doubt that I have to talk about there being a million ways to time any given combination. Ah ****, I just did.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast